Wash U vs. U. Michigan MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anemone2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know they're both great schools, and that in the end it's a highly personal choice, but does anyone have any thoughts on which of these two would be best for studying cellular/molecular neuroscience (right now I'm thinking development/regeneration, but that could change). Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know they're both great schools, and that in the end it's a highly personal choice, but does anyone have any thoughts on which of these two would be best for studying cellular/molecular neuroscience (right now I'm thinking development/regeneration, but that could change). Thanks.

WASH u is quite a bit stronger in neuroscience compared to Michigan. However, if there are specific faculty you want to work with at Michigan, it would be ok to go there as well.

I hate you...those were originally my top two choices and i didn't even get an interview for MSTP at either :mad:

Better location would probably be Ann Arbor; however, St. Louis is a much larger city that is improving. Also, the city isn't great but the suburbs are very nice. St. Louis gets a bad rap for this. I have lived in both and like both but for different reasons.

Personally, I would pick Michigan because that's my undergrad institution and I love it up here, but that's not applicable to you. I would use revisits to get a gut feeling. As long as both have enough faculty members doing research in your area ( i think they both do), then just go where you feel like you fit in the most.

In my opinion, Wash U hands down.

But I don't know that much about Michigan so what do I know? All I can say is that Wash U is freaking amazing...

Wait a minute... if you decline it I have a better chance of getting off the waitlist! NEVERMIND GO TO MICHIGAN!!!!