Incognito

15+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2001
Champaign, IL 61801
Visit site
Status
I just received notice that I have been waitlisted at Wash U. Does anyone know how their waitlist works in regards to things like: is it ranked, how many usually get in off the waitlist, etc? Thanks.

lilycat

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2000
???
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
AAAACK! That's just great -- now I have to rush off to the mailbox.

Doggy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2001
Visit site
Status
I just got the same letter. It says that they expect to make at least 50 more offers before class begins.

lilycat

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2000
???
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
A weird letter from the FAFSA people and that was it. I will be on pins and needles for a while...

I have heard that in the past, Wash U has taken up to 40-50% of their class off the waitlist (I believe that was about 2 years ago). Gower? Any words?

mvalento

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2000
chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i just got that letter, too. that makes 5 waitlists now, with (probably) one more in the mail...it's going to be a long summer.

bud

axlf1997

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2001
Visit site
Status
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by mvalento:
i just got that letter, too. that makes 5 waitlists now, with (probably) one more in the mail...it's going to be a long summer.

bud
</font>
Got mine today. If i recall correctly, they'll keep asking you every two weeks if you want to stay on it. I don't know if they rank though. If it helps, I'll be turning mine down.

G'luck.

gower

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2000
New York
Visit site
Status
Gower's words:

About 15-20% of interviewed candidates are usually accepted. To fill the class of 120 the class is sometimes oversubscribed (=over booked) by up to 100. This occurs from January through March.

The wait-list is not ranked. When there is an opening, the entire list is reviewed. The composition of the class is looked at closely when selecting students from the wait-list. [I believe this is not uncommon, even when not explicit, where wait-lists are not rigidly ranked]. Greatest movement: April 15-June 15. After June 15, fewer than 10 applicants are usually accepted.

Faxes, e-mail, and letters that describe a continued interest in the medical school are most helpful to wait-listed candidates. [I am a believer in keeping such letters short and simple, not laying it on too thick, especially if WU may not be your first choice if you have other options].

Good luck all.