Wash U waitlist

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Incognito, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Incognito

Incognito Junior Member

I just received notice that I have been waitlisted at Wash U. Does anyone know how their waitlist works in regards to things like: is it ranked, how many usually get in off the waitlist, etc? Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    AAAACK! That's just great -- now I have to rush off to the mailbox.

4. Doggy

Doggy Member

I just got the same letter. It says that they expect to make at least 50 more offers before class begins.

5. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    A weird letter from the FAFSA people and that was it. I will be on pins and needles for a while...

I have heard that in the past, Wash U has taken up to 40-50% of their class off the waitlist (I believe that was about 2 years ago). Gower? Any words?

6. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i just got that letter, too. that makes 5 waitlists now, with (probably) one more in the mail...it's going to be a long summer.

bud

7. axlf1997

axlf1997 Member

Got mine today. If i recall correctly, they'll keep asking you every two weeks if you want to stay on it. I don't know if they rank though. If it helps, I'll be turning mine down.

G'luck.

8. gower

gower 1K Member

Gower's words:

About 15-20% of interviewed candidates are usually accepted. To fill the class of 120 the class is sometimes oversubscribed (=over booked) by up to 100. This occurs from January through March.

The wait-list is not ranked. When there is an opening, the entire list is reviewed. The composition of the class is looked at closely when selecting students from the wait-list. [I believe this is not uncommon, even when not explicit, where wait-lists are not rigidly ranked]. Greatest movement: April 15-June 15. After June 15, fewer than 10 applicants are usually accepted.

Faxes, e-mail, and letters that describe a continued interest in the medical school are most helpful to wait-listed candidates. [I am a believer in keeping such letters short and simple, not laying it on too thick, especially if WU may not be your first choice if you have other options].

Good luck all.