Wash U

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here applied/interviewed at Wash U? I volunteered in their new ER while I was doing research there. Very busy place, but residents seemed happy. Any thoughts about the program? I don't see it mentioned here a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Had a lot of ?'s about this program also. It seems like the negatives are: the EM dept. gets pushed around by trauma and medicine (more medicine). 4 years vs. 3 years, have to make that choice. Did you get a feeling that they work real hard? 3 years working long shifts and tough off rotations is one thing.. but 4 years? not sure if it's worth it. Having said all this.. I'm still going to rank it high. Any thoughts on the negatives?

Originally posted by Future EM?
Had a lot of ?'s about this program also. It seems like the negatives are: the EM dept. gets pushed around by trauma and medicine (more medicine). 4 years vs. 3 years, have to make that choice. Did you get a feeling that they work real hard? 3 years working long shifts and tough off rotations is one thing.. but 4 years? not sure if it's worth it. Having said all this.. I'm still going to rank it high. Any thoughts on the negatives?

I'm not sure about them getting pushed around by IM or trauma. Of the few residents I spoke with, they chose this program because of the 4 years. They said it is less stressful because you spread everything out over four years as opposed to cramming everything into 3 years. Also, the consensus is that the peds exposure and training is second to none.

Having interviewed there, what were your impressions? Also, what kind of stats do you need to get an interview there? (you can PM me if you like)