1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Washington U. in St. Louis Differential Equ Requirment?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bla_3x, Sep 11, 2002.

1. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

Is there any way around having to have taken Diiferential Equations in college??:mad: In the MSAR it says that you need Diif EQ or Integral Calculus. What exactly is Integral Calculus? If this question seems stupid then forgive me...I admit my stupidity. Because on the secondary it askes "What college level courses in Diff EQ AND Calculus will you complete before medical school?" I was wondering if anyone else is in a hole with this one? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jot

jot

ha - i didn't even notice that, i haven't formally taken diffQ and they have said that i have passed "initial screens" so it can't be a big deal. integral calculus is traditionally calc 2. calc 2 usually throws in some diffQ just for fun - either way a year of calc will probably suffice for whatever they need.

4. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

I had all that crap in calc I. Ha! I knew they were trying to cram too much into that class!

5. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Seems to me only engineering majors (as I used to be when I took it) and people trying to get into certain grad schools (one of my PoliSci friends) take DiffEQ usually, so it's sort of a weird question for them to ask.

As for "integral calculus" (as opposed to derivative calculus?), I guess they're trying to say the 2nd semester of calculus, as jot said, but don't you do integrals in the first semester? It's been over 4 years since I took single variable and that was in high school so the semester thing didn't really apply, so I don't remember. I would guess multivariable calculus would count too?

My guess is that they just want to know for information purposes and it's not a requirement, but I've never looked at the WUSTL viewbook. I wonder why they don't ask about linear algebra...

-RA

6. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

You did 1st and 2nd order ODEs and PDEs, as well as Fourier Series and Laplace transforms and such in calc? If so, wow, that's a pretty comprehensive calc class!

-RA

7. Gradient Echo

Gradient Echo Membership Revoked
    Removed

You dont need to take a DiffEQ class for WashU, calc 1 and 2 are good enough, although technically "integral" calculus is covered in calc 1 as well as calc 2, so unless they specifically state that you need 2 semesters of calculus, then just take calc 1 unless you like math.

8. bla_3x

bla_3x Grip it and rip it!
    7+ Year Member

Thanks a lot everone! As I remember, and it's been a few years, we did go pretty heavily into integrals in my calc I class. O well, I guess I am just gonna put it in and see. They seem to not be checking their email (I emailed them about it last week). Thanks again!~

9. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

My teacher got excited one day toward the end of the semester and decided to introduce differential equations. It was one of those, "for those of you who can follow this, here are some advanced topics" kind of thing. I could follow it at the time, but don't ask me anything about it now.

10. Gradient Echo

Removed

I didnt think ODEs were all that hard, PDEs seem like an order of magnitude increase in difficulty though

11. Gradient Echo

Removed

in the MSAR for WashU, it says "differential and integral calculus"

Most first semester calc 1 courses cover some of the integral stuff, so technically speaking you should be able to get away with just one sem of calculus unless they explicitly state elsewhere that you need 2 sems.