Washington University Anesthesiology Residency???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

trg2002

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know how WashU anesthesiology fares compared to other big Anesth programs? I know U of Chicago is up there for anesth, and Northwestern/Indiana/Iowa/U of M are good big name midwest programs, but I don't hear too much about WashU.

I was impressed with their program and they seemed to have a really good clinical case load. I also know they do a lot of anesth research, but I don't hear too much about their program in Anesth circles? Good rep? Competitive?

Thanks for the help,
TRG

Members don't see this ad.

One of the best,

Considered with Chicago to be the two best midwest programs. The next tier in the midwest is supposed to be iowa, michigan, and northwestern. None of these programs will steer you wrong...and even in tough markets these programs placed residents in private practice. Good luck with your decision.

Wash U has one of the best surgical depts in the country. It has some of the most renowned thoracic, vascular and cardio surgeons as well. It has a world renowned childrens hosptial which is staffed by more than a dozen full time pediatric anesthesiologists. Wash U's surgical volume and variety are unmatched in the mid west and is perhaps one of the best in the nation. No Joke. I had the opportunity to do a second look there. Very impressive.
if you like research, they are one of the few anes. depts which has full time anesthesiolgoist who do bench research!!! It has the second highest NIH funding for anes. bench research. Wait there is more! Wash U does not "use" residents for taking care of its case load. They have over 60 anesthesiologists who do that. Residents get the most educationally effective cases. Residents are very happy! a 10 hour day is average. Graudates are sought after to become chairs of depts and lead anesthesia academia, if you are interested in that.
There are two draw backs to Wash U. 1. St. Louis, a very conservative, uptight town.2. A pushy, New Yorkish culture in most depts, outside anesthesia...eg surg, med, peds, ob/gyn. they thing quiet highly of themselves, perhaps rightfully so.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by John90210:
[QB]I had the opportunity to do a second look there. Very impressive.
QB]••••Just wondering, but did you go back for a second look on your own request? Or did they ask you back to visit again? Ms. Stark had mentioned that several candidates come back for a second look at their program...What did you do on your second visit? More Interveiws or just looked around? Do you think it helped with their decision?

Thanks for the help,
TRG

Does anyone know what WashU considers to be a "strong" Step I score?

Thanks, Frank

Washington Univ indeed, along with Medical Colleges of Wisconsin and U of Chicago, are the tip of the spear when it come to the midwest. Indeed there are some close followers like Indiana, N-W, Iowa, U of Mich and CCF.
The drawback as far as I have heard is the city-St. Louis.

Well I received an interview from Wash. U. I know and have heard that it is simply excellent. The NIH ranking of both Hopkins and Wash. U fell this year though, check the NIH website. The top three now are U pitt., UCSF, and U Iowa( had an interview call from there too). CCF is good but no trauma. So best midwest prog would be U Iowa. Very good PD at Iowa( he calls and talks to you if they decide to interview you!!). Well this said I would like to answer the guy with the question about the step 1 score. I had 250 on both 1 and 2. Where did I end up?...I actually took an out of match spot at U Miami( I am an IMG) even before I attended the interviews at U Iowa, WashU etc. Why? well they offered a PGY1 in med and I loved Miami and the hospital seemed pretty good too. But those of you who can stick for the match and those who have to (US grads) go for a place like Wash. U will be well worth it.

I guess I can see why St. Louis gets a bad rap...If your young and single...but it's an excellent place to raise kids and have a family...the cost of living is quite low (salary is on par with national averages with a low cost of living), the schools are very good....and traffic is really not a problem (at least to WashU)...

Not to shabby!
TRG

•••quote:••• The NIH ranking of both Hopkins and Wash. U fell this year though, check the NIH website ••••Halothane, please provide link.

It would be nice to look yourself for the link, however.... <a href="http://grants.nih.gov/grants/award/index.htm" target="_blank">here it is</a> :D

<a href="http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/anesthes.htm" target="_blank">http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/anesthes.htm</a> this is link for the latest rankings by NIH but let me tell ya your interview and your gut feeling should guide you. Do not let the rankings fool you. There are three popular rankings US news, the NIH and the third one is a consumer guide...I cannot remember but none of then correlate. Also I found some highly ranked programs completely lacking appeal and the interviewers being very cocky. You dont wanna end up in a place just because of brand value...if they are gonna treat you like a busboy. While these can guide you but keep your minds open till the interview and go by your gut instinct. You have to feel comfy about the place and kinda get that feeling that you are gonna fit in there. And of course....no matter what the rankings etc are look around and see what amount of diversity the program in its training..some very top notch progrmas offe you training only in a completely private setting, they are tertiary care centersand they often tend to be fellowship focussed.