General Admissions & OTCAS Washington University St. Louis 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureKidOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I found this morning that I have been accepted to WUSTL's MSOT program!!

Anyone have any insight on the program? It sounds so appealing since it is #1 in the country. If I attend though, I will have to move to St. Louis - which I don't know if I want to leave the Chicago area.

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my acceptance this morning as well!! Very excited, although they give us only 2 weeks to respond. I will probably send my deposit in soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received OTD acceptance this morning!

Just got accepted this morning as well! Did anyone hear back on graduate assistantships? I'm wondering if those offers already went out.

Just got accepted this morning as well! Did anyone hear back on graduate assistantships? I'm wondering if those offers already went out.
I just received a scholarship offer. I assume the assistantships would have gone out already as well.

Are you guys from the St. Louis area? I don't think I'll have time to visit since we only have 2 weeks!

do any of you mind sharing when you were verified on OTCAS? Trying to see what the timeline is.

congrats everyone....what an accomplishment!

Sure thing. I submitted my OTCAS on 08/08/16. I'm not sure exactly when I was officially verified though - I can't seem to find that info.

I just received a scholarship offer. I assume the assistantships would have gone out already as well.

So exciting! I was offered an OTD spot and I am planning on accepting. I received both scholarship and graduate assistantship offers today. Perhaps if people don't accept their offers, that money/those positions will be offered up at a later time?

do any of you mind sharing when you were verified on OTCAS? Trying to see what the timeline is.

congrats everyone....what an accomplishment!

I submitted on 8/15 and was verified on 8/16... My transcripts had been received a few weeks earlier, so I think that helped with the under 24 hour turn around.

nice, you all submitted so early, very smart! congratulations:biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the OTD acceptance! And on the assistantship!

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys from the St. Louis area? I don't think I'll have time to visit since we only have 2 weeks!
I'm not from the St. Louis area and am currently in college in Virginia, so I won't be able to visit before the deposit is due either. Do you think you'll submit your deposit?

Does this school have interviews ? How were you guys notified of your acceptance ? Via email or another method ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm not from the St. Louis area and am currently in college in Virginia, so I won't be able to visit before the deposit is due either. Do you think you'll submit your deposit?

I'm not totally sure. I sent an email asking if I can visit on November 4th, so hopefully I will get to visit! I'm also waiting on another school, which I'll find out like 3 days before the deposit deadline :bucktooth:

So exciting! I was offered an OTD spot and I am planning on accepting. I received both scholarship and graduate assistantship offers today. Perhaps if people don't accept their offers, that money/those positions will be offered up at a later time?
Congrats! Hope to see you next fall!

I am not from St. Louis, but I did visit in August. I didn't get to see a whole lot apart from their classroom space and one of their ADL labs. I thought their facilities were spacious and very nice, but I am no expert.

I know I was not planning on being able to visit, but the staff I interacted with over email was incredibly accommodating and helpful. They gave me names of current students to contact to ask questions and even arranged a last minute visit. I was very impressed by how willing they were to help me get all the information I needed (or desired).

So I take it that you are also accepting?! Congrats to you as well. It still doesn't feel real yet (and probably won't until next fall)!
'Tis the plan! Once I start looking for housing, I am sure reality will kick in.

Congrats to all who have been accepted! I also received my acceptance email this past week and plan on sending in my deposit soon.

To those planning on attending Wash U., or those currently attending, may I ask why you went with that decision? I know they are one of the most prestigious OT programs in the country, and offer an extremely impressive array of research opportunities which seems appealing. However, for me, I'm not sure if research is something I would want to pursue after graduation. Is their program equally as hands-on as other programs, or more research oriented? Ideally, I would like to attend a program that places equal emphasis on both hands-on experience and research.

Congrats to everyone! May I ask when you all applied/were OTCAS verified and how much the deposit is that they ask for?

Congrats to everyone! May I ask when you all applied/were OTCAS verified and how much the deposit is that they ask for?

I applied August 15th, my application was verified August 16th, and they are asking for $500! We have two weeks to decide.

Congrats to all who have been accepted! I also received my acceptance email this past week and plan on sending in my deposit soon.

To those planning on attending Wash U., or those currently attending, may I ask why you went with that decision? I know they are one of the most prestigious OT programs in the country, and offer an extremely impressive array of research opportunities which seems appealing. However, for me, I'm not sure if research is something I would want to pursue after graduation. Is their program equally as hands-on as other programs, or more research oriented? Ideally, I would like to attend a program that places equal emphasis on both hands-on experience and research.

I think for me, choosing to accept was a "gut decision." While I considered the rankings at one point, ultimately, it was a combination of factors. St. Louis is a fairly affordable city to live in. Since I did research in my undergrad (I'm still doing it, actually), I knew I wanted to continue that, and the options at WUSTL are hard to beat. As far as your question about the hands-on piece, everything I've heard from various people suggests the program is just as hands-on as others (people are pretty honest on this forum). I know MSOT/OTD students have an identical schedule their first year, and even though they diverge from there, OTD students finish their Level II fieldworks before the research apprenticeship in their third year. For me, I take that to mean that the program is focused on helping you be a successful clinician, and then a researcher. However, someone else may have a different outlook on that.

I completely understand your interest in making sure you come out of school with a great clinical foundation. If you're still unsure, I'd recommend contacting WUSTL and asking if you can email/phone a current student. I've loved talking to the administrative staff at WUSTL, and the ease of dealing with them up to this point is another reason why I'm excited to attend. Good luck making a decision! Maybe we'll meet next fall!

I think for me, choosing to accept was a "gut decision." While I considered the rankings at one point, ultimately, it was a combination of factors. St. Louis is a fairly affordable city to live in. Since I did research in my undergrad (I'm still doing it, actually), I knew I wanted to continue that, and the options at WUSTL are hard to beat. As far as your question about the hands-on piece, everything I've heard from various people suggests the program is just as hands-on as others (people are pretty honest on this forum). I know MSOT/OTD students have an identical schedule their first year, and even though they diverge from there, OTD students finish their Level II fieldworks before the research apprenticeship in their third year. For me, I take that to mean that the program is focused on helping you be a successful clinician, and then a researcher. However, someone else may have a different outlook on that.

I completely understand your interest in making sure you come out of school with a great clinical foundation. If you're still unsure, I'd recommend contacting WUSTL and asking if you can email/phone a current student. I've loved talking to the administrative staff at WUSTL, and the ease of dealing with them up to this point is another reason why I'm excited to attend. Good luck making a decision! Maybe we'll meet next fall!

Thank you for your insight! All makes sense to me. I'm actually taking a visit out to WUSTL in a few weeks, so hopefully a lot of my questions I have about the program will be answered. And yes, maybe (and probably) we will meet next fall!

Hey all!

I'm going to write quite a lot, just because I wish someone would of done this for me.

I'm a current OTD student at Wash U. For those accepted - WELCOME to THE BEST OT school in the country! Now, I know that I am biased, but I've been in your shoes. It was a big decision for me to come to St. Louis. I'm from a big city on the east coast and St. Louis was quite a change. I was also accepted to a bunch of other excellent programs in big, awesome cities. I chose Wash U because of all the amazing opportunities it will be able to afford me.

I just have to tell you all honestly, my decision has been reaffirmed several times over since coming here. I'll give a quick laundry list. Our director, Dr. Carolyn Baum has been president of AOTA twice and is one of the reasons why our profession has moved towards the respected, evidenced based, cutting edge practice we know today. Our other professors are leaders in their field (numerous AOTA Fellows) and specialty, such as in the NICU, in low vision and so forth. Just one cool example, our neurology professor worked on the predecessor to BrainGate at Brown while completing his PhD. We have the only student run stroke clinic in the country, and we will most likely have a student run hand clinic open by when you guys arrive. The professors make time for you, meet with you, chat with you. They really care - surely professors care elsewhere, but they can apply teachings to vast real world experience, turn your ideas into practice because they are at the very forefront of the field. You have SO MANY options within the program. SO much to get involved in. The professors have wonderful connections - academic, fieldwork, professional and otherwise. I've already been matched with University of Chicago Medicine for my first FWI and I've applied for my Level II fieldwork at the world famous Mayo Clinic in 2018. To clarify, by professional, I mean connections for jobs around the country when you get out. St. Louis is CHEAP (perfect for grad school) and way more beautiful and fun than I would of thought. Another nice little add on is you are a Wash U School of Medicine Student. You get the same rights, privileges, access to databases, libraries, and cadaver lab, etc as the med students. Which right now, WashU OT is tied at #1 with BU and the med school as a whole is #6 above Columbia, Duke, Yale, NYU, etc. No - rankings are not everything and you shouldn't chose a program based off of a ranking, however, we get an incredible experience here and the school provides and EXCELLENT atmosphere and education. And yeah, maybe usually there's no difference in rankings - such as between the #20 and #25 school, but I'd be willing to be there's a difference between the #1 school(s) and the vast majority of other OT schools. It's not everything - but its undeniable that it's worth something.

DO NOT LET THE RESEARCH COMPONENT SCARE YOU. Whether you would like to do research or not, you can do MSOT or OTD and there are two tracks to choose from for each degree! This is something I feel they don't explain so well on the website.

Clinical Track: For example, you can chose an advanced clinician track and spend your time studying assessment and interventions while working with real clients in the stroke clinic (and never touch research). You could imagine how prepared you would be after this, and how you could easily run a clinic or program of your own one day, or easily step into management. If you are OTD, your 3rd year consists of mentoring 1st and 2nd year OT students in the stroke clinic. That's just one example, there are a lot of other clinical practice tracks. Community practice clinician tracks take you out into the community (surprise) to run various programs (i.e. low vision intervention & support), treat mental health, work with low income populations (large scale intervention), conduct group therapies and other sort of emerging / non-traditional practice areas. There's SO much more - this just brushes the surface.

Research Track: There are so many NIH funded projects going on within the department it is insane! The professors have work and projects they would like to give to you depending on the lab to start, to finish or to carry on - in which you will end up published / an author. You can also pose your own question (within reason), and do your own study from start to end - in which you would be 1st author. One example of a new study starting up is the Mars Resource Deprivation Study: Determining how resource scarcity on a simulated Mars mission affects crew members' occupational participation and job performance (within the new Motor and Rehabilitation Neuroscience Lab). Again - SO much more,

As of now, there are ~21 different labs to chose from, all with various projects, grants and research or clinical practice focuses. This sheer number of options you WILL NOT get anywhere else. This is one of the greatest strengths of the program. You will not be pigeon holed into working on something which you are not passionate about. Depending on your choice you will develop either clinical skills or research skills that will set you far ahead of your future colleagues.

The students here are incredible, intelligent, come from all over the country and we all support each other. The faculty and staff here are amazing.

Sorry for my rant, but I feel passionately about this program. It's really a dream come true. Good luck to those still waiting for a response from Wash U, and congrats to those who got in! I'll see you in the fall.

PLEASE COME VISIT! Especially if you're on the fence. It's a once in a lifetime decision.

Just wanted to add: Be cause we have a bigger cohort (~90 students) from all around the country, we have such rich and interesting discussions in every class. It really adds diversity, thought provoking discussion and the ability to have more faculty who each bring a different specialty and perspective to your OT education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
edinOT: Thanks for such a detailed, thought-out reply! It is great to hear so much about the program from someone who is attending it now.

That all sounds fantastic. And wow, especially the part about the Mars Resource Deprivation Study! That's something I'd love to become involved in, personally...

But let me ask you, a bit more specifically, about your take on the cost of attendance vs. the end product (if you have the time!). My understanding is that, as long as you get an OT degree and pass the exam, it doesn't matter where you go to school - you still end up having about the same job prospects with the same pay rate. And given that WashU is the most expensive school out there at $91,000 before scholarships, it will take a lot longer to pay back those student loans.

I'm trying to rationalize why, if given the option, someone wouldn't go to a school that costs about $40-50k, instead. At least if their primary interest is in clinical practice. I understand that some students will want to go on to do research and/or teach, and WashU will be a better choice in that case. But for those of you at WashU who are more interested in clinical practice, how/why did you decide on WashU?

Thanks again for your time and help!

Reactions: 1 users
edinOT: Thanks for such a detailed, thought-out reply! It is great to hear so much about the program from someone who is attending it now.

That all sounds fantastic. And wow, especially the part about the Mars Resource Deprivation Study! That's something I'd love to become involved in, personally...

But let me ask you, a bit more specifically, about your take on the cost of attendance vs. the end product (if you have the time!). My understanding is that, as long as you get an OT degree and pass the exam, it doesn't matter where you go to school - you still end up having about the same job prospects with the same pay rate. And given that WashU is the most expensive school out there at $91,000 before scholarships, it will take a lot longer to pay back those student loans.

I'm trying to rationalize why, if given the option, someone wouldn't go to a school that costs about $40-50k, instead. At least if their primary interest is in clinical practice. I understand that some students will want to go on to do research and/or teach, and WashU will be a better choice in that case. But for those of you at WashU who are more interested in clinical practice, how/why did you decide on WashU?

This is my current dilemma right now! any insight would be super helpful

I got accepted last week to Wash U MSOT...see you guys next year!!!

Apologize in advance for typo's

Right - So, this is an extremely fair question, YogaOT. The answer I can offer is my PERSONAL OPINION - so please, take it all with a grain of salt. For fairness sake, I believe USC, Creighton and BU (especially with the costs of living for USC and BU) has us beat as the "most expensive school out there" but, I digress. Just so you know where I'm at, I went to undergrad and graduated with loans. Worked for awhile, paid off some of them (not all of them!) and knowing very well what student loans are like out there in the real world - still decided it was worth the extra $ to come here. Furthermore, I'm doing the OTD, which we're looking at more than your $91,000 figure. I had the very same dilemma years ago. A lot of why I feel like I made the right decision, and why it's worth the cost, is above. So my answer has many parts, however, I'll do my best.

Here you get options. MANY options as I stated above. Options are incredibly valuable to me.

To the "everyone gets the same license and starting salary - especially if their primary interest is in clinical practice" argument I would say this:

While you're still in school, you get experience others don't until after they graduate. You get to explore and have exposure to areas of practice where you have an interest in. Many of them specialities. Every program has fieldworks, but you will absolutely have a more diversified and individualized experience, via the labs and resources at the school.

The program boasts over 500 fieldwork sites all over the country. On top of that - the sites are incredible: Mayo Clinic (#1 hospital in the us), Cleveland Clinic (#2), Johns Hopkins (#4), UCLA (#5), Northwestern (#8), NYU Langone (#10), we have an incredibly intimate relationship with BJC (WashU's teaching hospital #11)...The list of sites goes on..Cedar Sinai in LA...Cincinnati Children's Medical Hospital & The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (#2 and #3 children's hospitals)..sorry for all the rankings but I'm really just driving home a point..these sites are priceless opportunities that can open incredible doors.

You can go into the work force with specialized experience, and use this as leverage for a higher starting salary. You can also use this experience as a window for starting your first year of practice at a top tier hospital or in a specialty such as the NICU, hand therapy, low vision and many others (or both). Typically, many of these specialties pay more. Now compound this with the fact that many of the professors (whom one of which will be your personal mentor - one you choose) are leaders in their specialty and connect their students with jobs - you will go where you want to go. How much is this worth to you? You really have to ask yourself.

Through these additional opportunities, you will know what you like and what you don't like. You can do fieldworks in acute care but focus your masters/doctorate project on pediatrics, cancer survivorship, adaptive equipment, virtual reality, etc (all with labs, professors and researchers within the program to support you). You can diversify yourself, learn about nuances of settings and populations. Maybe a certain amount of money is worth your happiness for your first few years in clinical practice, or being sure of your direction. Typically, it looks bad if you start somewhere and change jobs in under a year. How much is being sure worth to you? How valuable is your first year or two of working?

You will practice clinically for the next ~40 years. Are you ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN at 20 something years old you don't want to go into management, academia or research further down your career path? Or maybe just have the skills to do program development or write a grant? What if you did? Would you want this option open for you? How much is keeping those doors open worth to you? And whether or not you use the experience directly, it will only add to your abilities as a clinician. It will shine through when your a clinician, setting you up for success.

You go to graduate school once, once in an entire lifetime. 40k (talking about the difference of!) over a lifetime isn't all that bad. Buckle down and be smart with your money while you're in school, and be smart your first few years out and you will be able to more than handle it. Yes, there will be interest but spread that 40k out over your 40 years of practice and it's not so scary. You will be putting your entire life's work into being an OT, hopefully the best one you can be. For me, that's worth 40k any day. I will never second guess myself, never ask "What if?" - to me, that's worth A LOT. You worked hard, you're passionate about OT, you got in, why sell yourself short?

Cost of Attendance vs End Product:

Bottom line: Monetarily, I believe in some cases, yes, Wash U WILL pay off immediately / upfront. In regards to satisfaction of education and your competence as a practitioner, it will definitely pay off upfront. And I am extremely confident saying Wash U will definitely pay off in dividends, both monetarily (due to additional marketable skills / experience others will not have - especially in emerging practice areas! and networking) and in many other aspects of your career as a clinician. Personally I'm excited because I'll graduate as both a clinician and a published researcher in my specialty. That has immense worth for me personally, and having the built the skills to do that again makes that value last a lifetime.

It's an expensive and difficult decision, but If I had to invest in one thing for the rest of my life, it might as well be what I'll be doing for the rest of my life.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Wow, what a fantastic response! Thanks so much again.

I think the part that really sticks out to me is the sheer volume of options Wash U seems to present when it comes to areas of focus. For instance, I didn't even know that virtual reality was something one could focus on - exclusively? And just browsing more of the website, it really does seem like it would be a great place to just generally explore options I hadn't considered.

Like you said, the weight placed on the cost of education will just be something to consider from one's own perspective - what each of us is looking for. I'm late to the OT game, so I'm looking at a career closer to ~30 years, as opposed to ~40 years - so my calculations will probably be a bit different than others. Paying off my loans in 3.5 years instead of 11 years sounds like a very attractive prospect, but one that needs to be measured alongside the unique value WashU offers.

Thanks again for providing some great info on that value!

Is there a Facebook group for us? I'd love to get the chance to meet everyone! I'm assuming the school creates the page since they told us to join it in that packet that was sent out.

They should send out the Facebook group invite via email later this month or December.

And yea - the virtual reality stuff is pretty cool. Still all sorts of new cool projects popping up, they really pride themselves on being cutting edge / ahead of the game.

This was the virtual reality publication from last year if you have access to a school database:
  • Skowronski, J.M. and J.R. Engsberg. 2015. “Incorporating Cognitive Strategies and Guided Discovery in a Virtual Reality Intervention to Improve Motor Performance in Autism Spectrum Disorders." The Open Journal of Occupational Therapy. In Press.

Here's a link to Dr. Engsberg's page:

http://www.ot.wustl.edu/about/our-people/faculty/jack-engsberg-259

I encourage everyone to click around on faculty pages, bios and just quickly read the titles of their publications. It's awesome stuff.

I just declined my spot in the program. So if you are on the wait list or haven't heard back, there's at least one spot available!

I just got in today! YAY! I can breathe a sigh of relief!

Hello! i sent in my deposit money and intent to enroll form and received an email on November 3rd that the form and the check was received. however the check hasn't been cashed yet, has anyone else noticed the same thing?

Hello! i sent in my deposit money and intent to enroll form and received an email on November 3rd that the form and the check was received. however the check hasn't been cashed yet, has anyone else noticed the same thing?

I just checked my bank statement today, and my check has been cashed. I think I got an email confirming they had my money Halloween/the day after. My guess is that it's in a pile waiting for the next batch to be turned in, and I'm sure they'll cash it soon!

(Side note: after the shock of being accepted has passed, now I'm just incredibly excited to meet the whole cohort! Excited to meet you next fall).

Last edited:
Just found out that I was accepted into the MSOT program 2 days ago! It's my first acceptance for OT school so far so I feel like a huge weight was taken off of my shoulders after finding out the news.

I just checked my bank statement today, and my check has been cashed. I think I got an email confirming they had my money the day after Halloween. My guess is that it's in a pile waiting for the next batch to be turned in, and I'm sure they'll cash it soon!

(Side note: after the shock of being accepted has passed, now I'm just incredibly excited to meet the whole cohort! Excited to meet you next fall).
Thank you! I got the confirmation email that they had received the check on Nov 3rd, so it must be in the next batch! Congrats and excited to meet you all as well!

Hey everyone! I found this morning that I have been accepted to WUSTL's MSOT program!!

Anyone have any insight on the program? It sounds so appealing since it is #1 in the country. If I attend though, I will have to move to St. Louis - which I don't know if I want to leave the Chicago area.
Hi Everyone,
I am a WashU grad. I absolutely loved the program. They are a top notch program with many wonderful professors and a wide variety of experiences. I think one of the biggest advantages of the program is that each student is able to be part of a research lab and develop a research project and paper. I actually presented my research paper at an AOTA conference, which was a great experience. Another great thing is that there are a large number of Wash U grads out there and we have a great reputation for being leaders in the OT profession. I wish everyone the very best who was accepted. Please let me know if you have any additional questions:)

Hi Everyone,
I am a WashU grad. I absolutely loved the program. They are a top notch program with many wonderful professors and a wide variety of experiences. I think one of the biggest advantages of the program is that each student is able to be part of a research lab and develop a research project and paper. I actually presented my research paper at an AOTA conference, which was a great experience. Another great thing is that there are a large number of Wash U grads out there and we have a great reputation for being leaders in the OT profession. I wish everyone the very best who was accepted. Please let me know if you have any additional questions:)
Hi! I have a question - is there a gross anatomy course or cadaver lab incorporated into the OT curriculum? I got good grades in A&P I and II but was dissatisfied with the quality of instruction at the school where I took them, and the institution also lost its contract for human cadavers, so I'm wondering how to augment my current knowledge.

Hi! I have a question - is there a gross anatomy course or cadaver lab incorporated into the OT curriculum? I got good grades in A&P I and II but was dissatisfied with the quality of instruction at the school where I took them, and the institution also lost its contract for human cadavers, so I'm wondering how to augment my current knowledge.
Yes there is! I've heard of good anatomy classes that don't have a cadaver lab, but I thought the cadaver lab was really helpful

I just got accepted to the MSOT program yesterday! I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around it all. My main concern is the cost of the program and the reality of being away from my partner during each semester. But, there are SO many positives. For those of you who will be attending or are hoping to be attending, where in the country are you coming from?

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted to the MSOT program yesterday! I am having a difficult time wrapping my head around it all. My main concern is the cost of the program and the reality of being away from my partner during each semester. But, there are SO many positives. For those of you who will be attending or are hoping to be attending, where in the country are you coming from?
I put my deposit in for the MSOT program in November. I'm originally from New Jersey, but just graduated college in Virginia so I'll be coming from far away too.

I'll be coming from the PNW! It'll be the first time I've left my home state for good, so I understand the apprehension of being away from loved ones for extended periods of time. I wish you all the best with your decision!

OccTherReady, where are you coming from? I'm currently in Seattle at UW

OccTherReady, where are you coming from? I'm currently in Seattle at UW

Awesome! I'm coming from Oregon State in Corvallis! Are you from Washington or somewhere else? Is WUSTL your #1, or did you apply to UW or some other programs who will let you know in 2017?