Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Washington vs Colorado

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by mtnman12, Dec 25, 2008.

1. mtnman12

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just cause I like these ones, thought I'd see if anyone has an opinion on either of these schools.

2. guestdoc

guestdoc School Again X 2
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Washington. That's my unbiased, uneducated opinion.

Sorry, not too much help. Anyone else? :laugh:

3. UNMorBUST

UNMorBUST Mystery Man
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Colorado, this IS my biased, uneducated vote:D.

4. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    U of Wash is one of the best clinical and research schools in the country. It is certainly in the running for the title of best on the west coast.

5. amakhosidlo

amakhosidlo Accepted
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The best actually. #1 in Primary care for ages now, #6 for research. No other school boasts dual top 10 rankings...or at least that used to be the case, haven't checked lately...

Washington. Hands down, unless you're not in the WWAMI. If that's the case and you're not going MD/PhD (They disregard IS/OOS status) it'd probably be best save your efforts for more receptive institutions...

6. MDIC

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    UCSF is in top 10 for both

7. MDIC

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you're an URM you all get a green light to apply to U Wash

8. parafilm

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Are you instate for CO? Because colorado costs some serious $$$ if you're out of state.

I'm an east coast transplant and am probably here for a long long time, but as far as quality of living, Colorado is pretty awesome. Good people, good mexican food, tons of sunshine, big pretty mountains... what more could you need? I grew up there and every time I go back to visit I wonder why I ever left.

The facilities are brand new and the school is pretty good. Meh, I can't tell you much more than that, but I couldn't pass up the chance to talk about how cool colorado is.

9. 229141

Pre-Medical
    82,000 tuition a year LOL!!!!! WTF! I looked it up and laughed when I saw that number...isn't that 2x what Dartmouth costs!?!?!

10. scottyT

scottyT Real Member
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    That's the old figure for tuition. They used to charge a buttload the first year then you could become a resident for the remaining years.

Now they have a lower out-of-state rate but they charge it for all four years (which is probably somewhat of a wash compared with the old method). Even though you can become a resident after a year, they slap an "accountable" label on you if you matriculate as a non-resident. Total COA for an "accountable" student is around ~70,000 and cannot be lowered at all during your 4 years.

11. nontrdgsbuiucmd

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I presume this is U of Washington, and not Washington University or George Washington? Clarity is helpful.

Both have a great quality of life if that's important to you. Colorado has MUCH more sun. I'd bet Seattle has better coffee. You can ski close to CO, roughly 2 hrs to Winter Park, Vail is similar, Keystone, Breckenridge, etc. But the San Juan Islands are far more accessible from Seattle which are a beautiful place to visit. Tuition and acceptance rates depend hugely on where you're from; Colorado accepts 50% of interviewed instate candidates, and interviews around half of all instate applicants; U of Wash interviews out of state if you've got a 32 and I believe mid-3.7s GPA including grad school grades, per the admissions office. It would be nice to have acceptances from both!

12. mtnman12

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anyone else have an opinion on this? I'm still having a pretty hard time deciding for sure...tuition would be UWashington WWAMI 12,000 a year, or hopefully Colorado WICHE for around 25,000 a year. I would have to commit 3 years in my home state with WWAMI but I think I would probably want that anyway.

Btw its my birthday so I don't feel guilty about bugging people with this minor conflict haha :)

13. DrYoda

DrYoda Space Cowboy
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd go with UWash, awesome school at the better price can't go wrong with that.

and Happy B-day.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 chick magnet
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    UWash rejects a lot of people presecondary that are OOS, you need to have experience that reflects strong interest in the underserved or be URM to get an interview there OOS for the most part if you aren't from WWAMI.

15. megamega

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UWASH really doesn't accept much URMs. According to the MSAR they accepted 2 Black applicants, 2 Native American, 9 hispanic, 24 asian, and 168 white applicants. So, being a URM doesn't help at UW, but being from an underserved area or rural area does help you get an interview.

Oh yeah, I'd choose UW.

16. Impromptu

Impromptu ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you care about ego and believe US News, The University of Washington is the best medical school in the country. As was already posted, they are #1 in primary care and #6 in research. Harvard is #1 in research and a measly #7 in primary care.

If you get in-state tuition, go to the U-Dub. You may not think too much about financial implications at this point in your career, but you should.

17. Ann Chovie

Ann Chovie Future Brain Sturgeon?
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You may want to double check with finaid at UDub... I think tuition is now over $19,000 a year for WWAMI. They use to have a lower first-year only tuition, which I think was $12,000.

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Education/MDProgram/StudentAffairsAndServices/FinancialAid/

Colorado grants all WICHE qualified students instate tuition rates. My reason for bringing this up is that your MDApps state your a resident of Washington and although it is a WICHE state they do not fund medical school. My state funds the WICHE program and would pay full-tuition to Colorado with no service payback committment. Unfortunately, only 4-5 new med students are certified each year with stats that normal ppl can only dream about.

My suggestion would be to check with both schools and your homestate WICHE certifying officer.

With all that said... "UDub if you like to fish and CU if you like to ski"...