Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

WashU notification date soon???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MGoBlue13, Nov 12, 2002.

1. MGoBlue13

MGoBlue13 Grizzled Member
    7+ Year Member

So... does anyone have any idea when WashU makes their first notifications of acceptance for M.D. students? I interviewed there in early October....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Dodger Dog

7+ Year Member

they are supposed to be meeting this wed and thurs i believe... notifications should come shortly thereafter...

4. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

They are mailing the first batch out Thursday (Tomorrow).

5. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

mws99:

where did you get that info from?

6. KBCoch

KBCoch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone know if they make notification phone calls?

7. keptium

keptium Member
    7+ Year Member

WashU told us that the regional admission committee are meeting sometime early this week. The Big admission comittee is meeting this Thursday where actual decisions will be made. Scholarships invites will be mailed out this Friday. The nice guy...Dr. Something told us when we interviewed there.

I don't think they do that phone thing, or else he prolly would have mentioned it in his speech. but i'm sure you can call and ask. :)

8. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was there last Monday (Nov 4). At the intro thing we had first thing in the morning the Adcom guy said that the first batch of acceptances would go out tomorrow. He said there are four regions of the country that have their own smaller committees that evaluate applications and each will pick 8-10 applications they will select for acceptance. So that means a total of 30-40 people will be accepted. These acceptance are sent out the day the overall committee meets, the first day being tomorrow. He said that every time the committee meets they will accept a similar number of students, but I'm not sure how often they meet. They will continue accepting until they give out 250 acceptances, then will stop and start asking people if they want to be on the waitlist.

9. katem

katem Member
    7+ Year Member

thus far, the waiting game hasn't been too bad for me. when i was waiting for my mcat last year, every day there wasn't a score in the mailbox absolutely killed me, but this year i just haven't had that same excitement about checking mail / e-mail for interviews, acceptances, waitlists, and a lovely little rejection from ucsf. until now. waiting for the wash u letter (my top choice) may just do me in. i almost wish i hadn't seen this on the forum, so i could have gone on about waiting patiently...

sorry to ramble aimlessly, but now i'm just trying to pass the time until i get some mail from st. louis!

and thanks to those who have provided this info!!

10. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Whenever I call the admissions office, the secretary always tells me that decisions probably won't be sent out until December or something. But everyone on SDN seems to say it's this week (I hope it is).

So, anyone else planning to call tomorrow? :)

11. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

They say they mail the decisions, so I wouldn't call. I'm sure on Saturday there will be a couple of SDNers saying they got accepted.

12. bujji13

bujji13 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmm, I was just thinking......If their committee got together today, and if they're reviewing applicants in the order they were interviewed.....then they've probably already decided about me.... :eek:

This is really painful to wait.....must.....resist.....temptation....to call....

13. Dr. Dodger Dog

7+ Year Member

yup... i've been thinkin bout that too :)

14. katem

katem Member
    7+ Year Member

i keep finding myself coming up with really weak excuses to call - it's killing me! and if they met until past five, the letters don't actually go into the mail until tomorrow...

anyway does anyone know what they send beyond the acceptances? i mean, does everyone who has interviewed thus far (or up to a certain date) get a letter of some sort (accept, WL, regect)? or do they just pick the 30-40 best and brightest, and make the rest of us wait?

and good luck to all!

15. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am 100% sure that the guy said the letters will go out in the mail the same day the decisions are made, so you don't have to worry about that. I don't know about your second question, but I was kind of under the impression that if not accepted then we won't hear anything for quite a while. It seemed like if you aren't accepted now your file will just get thrown back in the mix and reevaluated at the next meeting.

16. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

so is anybody going to think of a lame excuse to call and ask about acceptances? i am tempted...

17. katem

katem Member
    7+ Year Member

i got a call with great news last night from dr. dodson!

i don't know if others got this call or not, but if not, it probably doesn't mean much because

a) i'd sent washu a letter of interest, saying they are my top choice and he mentioned that in the phone call, and

b) my family is from st. louis, and dr. dodson treated my younger brother a number of years ago when he was hospitalized, so there was a slight family connection.

he said the letters were going out first thing this (friday) morning - the call came after 5 st. louis time (i had joked before picking it up that maybe it was wash u, but then was absolutely shocked and stammering when i found out it actually was - i'm sure i sounded like a complete putz on the phone...). anyway, when he told me he said the decision had been made 30 minutes before, so it sounds like the letters didn't make it into last night's mail.

best of luck to all my potential future classmates!!

18. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats Katem!!!!!!!!

that is awesome

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. KBCoch

KBCoch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So I guess no one heard anything over the weekend. Mail just doesn't move fast enough.

Someone will probably have news in the mailbox tomorrow... Maybe someone who doesn't live so far away from St. Louis.

Good luck all.

Have we figured out yet if they only send acceptances or if everyone gets a letter of some type?

20. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i think that they only send acceptances. if you are not accepted immediately, i think you can keep coming up each meeting till april. later on in the interview season i would think they might start rejecting people at the bottom of the list, but for now, i think that they probably only do acceptances.

also, i interviewed on nov. 6 and they said they probably would not get to my file until their second meeting since this past week was their first meeting for everyone who has interviewed thus far, so if you don't hear anything, they might not have even got to you yet.

21. Dr. Dodger Dog

7+ Year Member

anyone get their mail yet?

22. Dr. Dodger Dog

7+ Year Member

just got my mail.... accepted!

23. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

Um... hello?! Aren't you forgetting something?!

Thick or thin envelope!?! :)

Congrats btw ;)

24. Redbeanmochi

Redbeanmochi Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow!

Congrats!

I'm hoping to find something good from Wash U in my mailbox this week...

25. uclachris

uclachris Doctor Doctor Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just wish for a friggen interview... I know my undergrad GPA is my albatross; but come on, a 3.89 in grad school with a PhD has gotta make up for it...

26. uclachris

uclachris Doctor Doctor Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oops.. forgot to give you a Woot! (even if you go to SC)

27. Dr. Dodger Dog

7+ Year Member

thanks guys for the support!

the acceptance came in a small envelope... and the rest of the info came in a priority mail larger envelope... gluck guys!

28. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats... Hopkins and WashU. Which one are you leaning towards?

29. Dr. Dodger Dog

7+ Year Member

thanks... i haven't really thought THAT much about washu and hopkins... i'll wait before I start a Washu vs. Hopkins thread.... :)

30. KBCoch

KBCoch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, nothing in the mailbox today.

Maybe since I interviewed on the 30th they didn't get to my file yet?

Maybe my mail is just slow and something will be there tomorrow?

Maybe my poor file is in a cold, dark corner of an office, in a basket marked "Ummm... no."

Maybe I need something better to do with my time than trying to contact the admissions committee via mental telepathy...

31. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

Dude, I just called them. I used to think calling schools was pushy and a no-no, but what the hell? They make us wait so long!! And if calling really made a difference, God knows Baylor would have rejected me by now. That lady must know my voice by heart.

Anyway... I called and asked and was told that no decision has been made on my application yet and that in fact VERY FEW decisions have been made.

32. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, it looks like only 1 or 2 people on SDN have been accepted. That makes me feel better that I haven't heard anything.

33. crazyA

crazyA Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

if anyone else hears anything, please please please let the rest of us know...not that it will in any way help to relieve my stress, in fact, it wil probably make it much worse, but whatever

34. jot

jot

i got the med school letter in the mail today. - was in a fedex thingie. (large envelope - for inquiring minds :))

-jot

35. KBCoch

KBCoch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone happen to know the date of their next decision meeting? Early December I hope...

36. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump...any word yet from wash u? does anyone know when the next round goes out?

37. I think they said they meet/notify the 15th of every month. So I'm gussing Dec 15th is the next day to watch out for.

Also, has anyone who interview on 10/25 or after received an acceptance? I'm just wondering if they got to review my file yet.

38. BlueJayBill

BlueJayBill Member
    7+ Year Member

got the good word today.

they last met on the 5th, or at least that's what the letter is dated.

-Bill

39. MedApp2003

MedApp2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

woohoo. me too. looks like the second round of offers has been sent out.

mine is also dated the 5th. (in case people are interested it came in a big fed-ex package). i interviewed the first week in november.

40. siempre595

7+ Year Member

Hey accepted people!
    Congrats! I just did my interview today. So I'm hoping....
    Could ya'll post your stats if you don't mind, just cause I'm super-curious about what's been accepted so far.
    Thanks and good job!

41. KBCoch

KBCoch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone else get any good news in the mail today? My mailbox was as empty as ever. No glowing fedex packages...

Ominous... So another month I shall wait.

Do you think this was another round when they sent out "very few" acceptances? (Someone just humor me and say yes)

42. jwin

jwin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

kb:

yes! if they didn't take us then they can't have taken too many people!

43. BlueJayBill

BlueJayBill Member
    7+ Year Member

from what i rememeber from the interview day, dont they accept 40 people from across the country each cycle? (10 from each region..) not sure but i remember something to that extent.

there is some regional screen, then it goes to the full committee.

that's all I remember. hope it helps.

44. KBCoch

KBCoch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So has anyone received news in January, or does anyone know when news is next expected?

45. Redbeanmochi

Redbeanmochi Member
    7+ Year Member

Nope.

No news here (and I interviewed in October!). My premed advisor says that no news is good news, since Wash U. has been sending out rejections. Hmm... I wonder if they sent out enough acceptances to fill their class.

Well, here's hoping that the non-rolling schools I applied to come through in mid Feb-early March.

-R

46. nero

nero Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey, what 4 regions did they divide it up into?..i forgot but i'm pretty sure it wasn't as basic as N, S, W, E. does anybody remember?

Also, yeah i think no news is not necessarily a bad thing, since they give most of the acceptances in the march time frame....that is the impression i got from the admissions people...........they have a very active waitlist, since like the dean said they accept the same applicant pool as harvard, hopkins, penn, etc.

nero

47. siempre595

7+ Year Member

They definitely have not filled their class. I know people last year got in in April and through August off the wait list. Keep waiting!

48. Redbeanmochi

Redbeanmochi Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks you guys!

To answer the question about regions, I think it is pretty much divided up into N, S, E, W.

Maybe I should write Wash U. a letter of interest or a letter updating my application. My interviewer told me to send the admissions committee an update now and then. Hmm...

The students are great and the facilities top notch. The location just bothers me a bit. Well, at least apartments there are cheap so that's reassuring.

49. ::Seabass::

::Seabass:: bringing burkas back!
    7+ Year Member

rejections post interview?

50. Redbeanmochi

Redbeanmochi Member
    7+ Year Member

not sure if they are pre- or post-interview. my advisor just told me they were sending out rejections; didn't specify which kind.
    i should ask him out of curiosity.

51. siempre595

7+ Year Member

The regions are something like: Midwest, California/far west, Northeast/South, and "all the rest." This is how my interviewer described it. She was super laid back though, so I'm cautious being that specific, but that seemed to be what she was alluding to. I'm fairly sure the Midwest one is accurate though, since I'm from there and she's on it, she was talking about that group specifically. My guess would be the rejections are pre-interview, I think the wait-list is rather massive. This is info from the med students there that work in a lab with me. They said up to half their class came off the wait list after April.