1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

WashU scholarships

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dudemeister, Mar 8, 2007.

1. dudemeister

2+ Year Member

Besides the Olin Fellowship (which is for women only), has anyone been invited to apply for any scholarships at WashU? How do people get invited? Phone call, email, snail mail? Thanks.

2. omegaxx

omegaxx New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's by email this year I believe. All accepted applicants are considered by default.

3. LooneyTunes

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The Finaid guy said that people that were going to be considered were interviewed for the scholarships on the day of their interview. They thought it was a waste bringing people back for the interviews after being accepted, especially since some people showed up because it was all-expense-paid... So I think if you had more than one interview, one of them was probably for the scholarships... but you can call and find out. GL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. j-weezy

j-weezy MS1
    2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    There is a separate weekend for finalists for the full-ride scholarships. My friend is one of the finalists and is going to the all-expenses paid trip on March 24th or so. I'm not sure if it was Olin or something more general.

5. BetterNBest

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I just got an email today about writing an essay for the scholarships. I assume that your friend was invited for the Olin fellowship, because I know that I was invited to apply for school of medicine merit scholarships, but know nothing about any finalist weekend. Good Luck all! (And wish me luck too...i need it!)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. monday_best

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey, we were just discussing this in the class thread. Come join!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362017

7. Lorienne7

Lorienne7 Austenophile
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's an interesting theory that really contradicts what they say about the number of interviews you receive being randomly assigned. There was a poll a while back trying to figure out if there was a correlation between the number of interviews you got at Wash U (one vs two) and your eventual outcome (accept/WL/reject). Does anyone have the link to it?

EDIT: Found it. You would think that if people with two interviews are being considered for scholarships then there would be a much greater likelihood that they would be admitted, but from the poll (a very small sample obviously), it doesn't look that way. Unfortunately, there were 30 people who voted in the poll whose status is unknown. I could make another poll but that seems like entirely too much effort, lol. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=354806&highlight=interview

8. KardiacKiehl

5+ Year Member

Regarding the two interviews, the second interview is just a check on the other interviewer, as one of the two is interviewing for the first year at Wash U. I only know this because my boss in on the committee and is a first-year interviewer (and hence has always been 1/2 interviewers for the applicants he had on any given day).

9. Lorienne7

Lorienne7 Austenophile
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yah, that's what they told us on interview day, but the only weird thing is neither one of my interviewers was a new interviewer. One was a dean, and the other told me that she has interviewed in the past.

Regardless, I'm a bit skeptical about the idea that in all cases, two interviews = scholarship consideration. Then again if the finaid guy said it then maybe it has some weight?? Who knows? Whatever, I really should be working on those 300 words instead of worrying about this!

10. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Has the Financial Aid guy been there for a long time? I somehow remember EBI831 saying that in the old days WashU used to interview scholarship candidates when they went in for their admissions interviews but has since changed the policy. I wouldn't mind if your two interview theory was correct, but my second interview lasted only 15 minutes and the only question asked was "What do you like to do in your free time?".