Wasn't accepted to internship of my dreams. Lost on what to do for summer, advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

For two months I pretty much poured my heart out into perfecting my application essay for an REU. I have a great GPA, two semesters of research experience, clinical experience, and I had an amazing letter of recommendation. I was so sure I would get this intership. I go to a competitive school. I work so hard. This internship was seriously going to change my life, it would have given me travel awards, guaranteed a published research article, and so much more.

I want to apply to clinical psych programs after undergrad and I know how important research is for those programs. I'm still not published and will be a senior next year. I feel so lost on what to do for this summer. I can't understand why I was rejected...I can't think of any better qualifications I could have had, besides a legit 4.0.

The undergraduate research summer program applications for my school are due in one week. I emailed my lab supervisor today to see if she could write a letter of rec for me, but idk if she'll want to since she only has a week. I can't go home, I live in a small town and don't have a car. I only have $2,500 right now which isn't enough for rent. I can't even get an actual paid job in research without having graduated already. My laptop also just malfunctioned and it cost me $600 to fix.

I can't do the unpaid internship thing. My parents can't support me through that.

I guess I could work at a mental health outpatient facility, make money to pay rent, but is that even good experience? It won't involve research. What should I do...please give me advice

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.

For two months I pretty much poured my heart out into perfecting my application essay for an REU. I have a great GPA, two semesters of research experience, clinical experience, and I had an amazing letter of recommendation. I was so sure I would get this intership. I go to a competitive school. I work so hard. This internship was seriously going to change my life, it would have given me travel awards, guaranteed a published research article, and so much more.

I want to apply to clinical psych programs after undergrad and I know how important research is for those programs. I'm still not published and will be a senior next year. I feel so lost on what to do for this summer. I can't understand why I was rejected...I can't think of any better qualifications I could have had, besides a legit 4.0.

While it's an n=1, I was accepted to multiple funded clinical programs and I'm just getting my first pub now. Hell, lots of the students I know had lab experience and some posters, but no pubs before grad school. It's not strictly required to have publication to get into grad school, though I did have quite a bit of clinical experience compared to pretty much anyone else to compensate. It's very common for people to take a gap year or two after undergrad to get more research experience, so not getting this summer research experience isn't the end of the world.

The undergraduate research summer program applications for my school are due in one week. I emailed my lab supervisor today to see if she could write a letter of rec for me, but idk if she'll want to since she only has a week. I can't go home, I live in a small town and don't have a car. I only have $2,500 right now which isn't enough for rent. I can't even get an actual paid job in research without having graduated already.

Just be polite and gracious when you ask for a recommendation and let her know that your other plans fell through and you need some help. The worst she can do is say "no."

My laptop also just malfunctioned and it cost me $600 to fix.

You paid $600 to fix your laptop? Is this a gaming laptop or something? If you need this laptop for school, there are plenty of options that are far cheaper than that.

I can't do the unpaid internship thing. My parents can't support me through that.

I guess I could work at a mental health outpatient facility, make money to pay rent, but is that even good experience? It won't involve research. What should I do...please give me advice

While the clinical experience you can get without a bachelor's degree comes with diminishing returns quite quickly, it's definitely better than nothing or non-psychology related job. Just do what you have to do to make ends meet, even if it isn't necessarily improving your application for grad school. There are plenty of life lessons that come from simply working that will be helpful later on. My mentor was a barback during college and now he's got an R01, several other funded grants, and at least another R01 as co-PI in the works.

It's definitely not the end of the world (though a bummer and I'm sure very disappointing). If I were you, I'd work as a bartender/waitress on nights and weekends, and then volunteer as a research assistant 20/hours a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
The VAST majority of applicants to clinical programs do not have publications when applying, so please don't think that you need one to be competitive. There are applicants who don't have poster presentations, so get 1-2 of those and you're ahead of the game.

Getting a paid research position can help (REU summer experiences are great for lots of reasons) but they do not make or break an application. As others have said, there are likely ways to stay involved with research over a summer WHILE working to make money.

(P.S. clinical experience doesn't really matter for applications. I consider any kind of experience working with people as relevant....waiting tables was GREAT background for doing therapy, so was selling shoes....because you have to figure out what people want and help them get it within the confines of your role.)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi.

The undergraduate research summer program applications for my school are due in one week. I emailed my lab supervisor today to see if she could write a letter of rec for me, but idk if she'll want to since she only has a week. I can't go home, I live in a small town and don't have a car. I only have $2,500 right now which isn't enough for rent. I can't even get an actual paid job in research without having graduated already. My laptop also just malfunctioned and it cost me $600 to fix.

I agree that you shouldn't worry about not having publications. The majority of people in clinical programs applying to internship don't have any publications (obviously, people going the academic route will have more, but still). I would focus on getting solid research experience, and presenting a poster or two at a regional or national conference if you can. Even presenting at your school's undergraduate research fair would be good. I was accepted to a funded Ph.D. program with two years of research experience, no pubs, and one poster that I presented at my school's undergrad research fair. The poster was from my honors thesis, which I would recommend doing as well if you can.

I took a year off after undergrad, and even though I didn't work at a job that was at all related to psychology during that year, I think it helped because by the time I applied I had finished my honors thesis. It also gave me more time to study for the GRE.

ETA: By "internship" I meant predoctoral internships, the final year of PhD and PsyD programs.

I go to a competitive school.

I can't understand why I was rejected...I can't think of any better qualifications I could have had, besides a legit 4.0.

I think I applied to REU's. I think. Honestly, I can't remember, but if I did, I'm pretty sure I was rejected from all. I do know that many of these are designed for students at lesser-known colleges/universities without access to quality research opportunities. You very well could have been overqualified and too advantaged. I wouldn't make too much of it. I went to a prestigious undergrad institution and had the highest GPA in my major (hair flip).

I agree that you shouldn't worry about not having publications. The majority of people in clinical programs applying to internship don't have any publications (obviously, people going the academic route will have more, but still).

Well, yes, but important not to make this the benchmark! :) I would agree that pubs at the undergrad level are not critical. I would second the recommendation to take a year (or 2, 3) off for a full-time RA position in a field of interest. This could get you some pubs or at least posters. This path is now the norm, not a Hail Mary. Breathe, drink some wine if of age and so inclined, and proceed.