water on the wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billyclinton

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, so I'm about to start rotation (our school start 3rd year early before step 1). I'm concerned about water drinking on the wards. Would you recommend having a water bottle or something with me that fits in the white coat? If yes, what bottle do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Camelbak with the tube coming out of your white coat sleeve.

Reactions: 17 users
I wouldn't carry something around you want to be drinking from in your white coat between patient rooms--that's gross. Bringing beverages or snacks on rounds could also earn you some negative feedback from attendings/residents as some people don't consider it professional (most probably wouldn't care but you never know). Just bring a water bottle or get a disposable cup with water and keep it in the team room.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had various granola bars in my white coat at all times. I'm not sure Ive ever had a non surgery rotation where I'd have to wait more than an hour to have a sip of water. Generally not more than 5 minutes.

Does your hospital not have desks in the unit where you can just, you know, keep a drink?

Reactions: 1 users
Most hospitals I've been in don't allow cups/containers to be carried around to drink. You shouldn't even have them at the desk/nursing station. A lot of people break this rule including nurses and doctors but that's usually hospital policy. You can drink in the nutrition room or lounge.

Reactions: 2 users
You have these things called kidneys. You can go many, many hours without drinking fluid. I never understood people who carry around water bottles. Unless you have non functioning parotid glands.

You have these things called kidneys. You can go many, many hours without drinking fluid. I never understood people who carry around water bottles. Unless you have non functioning parotid glands.

My gallon size water jug lets you infer that i lift

Reactions: 13 users
Because staying hydrated helps people stay fresh and focused. I think staying hydrated does more for me than coffee ever could. I also easily get a headache when I get dehydrated.

Reactions: 6 users
You can run around with one of these.
51MAlJrlfuL._SY300_.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Stainless steel flask; fits right into the front pocket!

Not supported by any evidence but here's my latest take on hydration because I've had severe headaches and muscle aches in the past which I've attributed to dehydration.

#1) Cut out caffeine entirely, its the most overlooked diuretic out there.

#2) I suspect that hydration status has more to do with food than how much you drink. The reason for this is water usually follows solute so I'd imagine eating moderate servings of carbohydrates and limited simple carbs in addition to drinking adequate water at mealtimes would help you stay hydrated and keep fluid volume from merely going from your mouth to your bladder in a short time.

Where I got myself into trouble is that being a medical student eager for life hacks I'd be gulping down too much caffeine while trying to maintain an Atkins diet to stay lean. If you're having problems like me OP, try this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
It is pretty rare that I don't have a drink in my pocket. If it isn't a water bottle it is a snapple, gatorade or life water. Doppler in my left pocket and drink in my right. I either run or climb after work every day. I'm sure that some people 'look down' on people that drink water on the wards because there are dinguses about just about everything. Then again, I simply don't care. As long as you are discrete about it and have a reasonable sized drink, it is hard to imagine it having a negative impact on you.

Reactions: 7 users
Hip flasks out of style?

;)

It is pretty rare that I don't have a drink in my pocket. If it isn't a water bottle it is a snapple, gatorade or life water. Doppler in my left pocket and drink in my right. I either run or climb after work every day. I'm sure that some people 'look down' on people that drink water on the wards because there are dinguses about just about everything. Then again, I simply don't care. As long as you are discrete about it and have a reasonable sized drink, it is hard to imagine it having a negative impact on you.

Towards the end of medical school we'd get yelled at for having coffee or water in the hallways or at the nurses station. I always laughed at how inane it was. Generally if you keep it in your white coat nobody will pitch a fit, so keep a smallish waterbottle to fit in your tiny itty bitty white coat.

The small smart water is very white coat friendly I find. Barely pokes out the top of my side pocket.

You keep something you put your mouth on in your white coat? Seriously?

#1) Cut out caffeine entirely, its the most overlooked diuretic out there.
Not so fast my friend. Common misconception.

A normal sized cup of coffee/tea/soda does not contain enough caffeine to induce a significant diuresis. Additionally, chronic consumption of caffeine causes a tolerance to any diuretic effect that can be accomplished by large doses.

If you REALLY want to be prepared just get a Lifestraw and then you can go take a sip out of any standing water you come across on rounds, problem solved.

91d44QIYo7L._SL1500_.jpg

Not so fast my friend. Common misconception.

A normal sized cup of coffee/tea/soda does not contain enough caffeine to induce a significant diuresis. Additionally, chronic consumption of caffeine causes a tolerance to any diuretic effect that can be accomplished by large doses.

Read the same thing in some journal article just now so maybe I stand corrected but in my case, coffee usually leads to dehydration/continual withdrawal aches and it happens all the time. The worst is when I drink I forget and drink a diet soda and it's not enough to feel good, but enough to feel jittery with joint pain.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile