1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Way to remember tumors of bone?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by virtu, Jan 1, 2009.

1. virtu

5+ Year Member

on page 526 of Goljan's RR Path, there is a list of bone tumors both benign and malignant.

now i know classification and naming in medicine RARELY follows any logical order (e.g., eponyms--way for vain person to inflict confusion on countless generations :confused: ), but can anyone make sense of the classification scheme?

for example:

osteoma vs. osteoid osteoma

i guess a large part of my confusion lies with the sites of these tumors having nothing at all to do with their names.

medical classification and naming seriously needs a revamping.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UditNarayan

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if ur a visual learner (like i am) stick with just one source for learning the "rote memorization" stuff. for example, instead of trying to use 2-3 sources to remember locations, just use FA's picture...this strategy served me very well when i needed to do some fast recall...

4. laxman310

laxman310 TheManWithAPlan
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Focus on the main malignant ones, and then their benign counterparts. Divide them up based on what part of the bone they are found in (epiphyses, metaphysis, diaphysis).

The most important malignant ones to know are:
    osteosarcoma, ewing's, and giant cell tumor of bone.

The rest are just icing.