Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Wayne rotations

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by autumnchai, Mar 21, 2002.

1. autumnchai

autumnchai Member
    10+ Year Member

How difficult has it been to get rotations at the hospitals you want for your third year and fourth year required rotations?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WSU02

WSU02 Member
    10+ Year Member

How difficult has it been to get rotations at the hospitals you want for your third year and fourth year required rotations?
    Depends on what you want and how popular that particular hospital is.

For 3rd year: You 1st enter a lottery to find out your schedule order. There's then a 2nd lottery to assign hospital spots. The 2 lotteries are independent, i.e. you can be at the bottom in both or at the top in both or some combination.

For the schedule lottery, there are 6 orders of rotations & you rank them in order of desirability. For the hospital lottery, for every rotation you rank the hospitals in order. Not every hospital participates in every rotation, and some hospitals are desirable in 1 rotation, but not another - for example I didn't want to do ER at one place, but I DID want to do my 4th year Sub-I there. And different people value things differently, which means that even though I wanted X out of my surgery rotation, others wanted Y.

For 4th year, you first enter a lottery to rank the month and location of the 3 required (ER, Sub-I and Outpt. Medicine) rotations. Here, you can specify if location or timing is more important to you. After you get those results back, you go through another lottery for electives. This lottery has a hitch - you are given 10 points to "bid" for certain electives at a certain time/place. It's more complicated, but that's the gist of it.

We can also swap hospitals with others in third year if the person is doing the same rotation as you in the same time period. Both persons just go to Records & switch it.

4th year, you can go to Records and try to see what's available and switch your schedule.

Bottom line, most people are happy with the end results.
    Kristi

4. thetick

thetick New Member

bottom line, try your best to avoid changing things later on because Dr. Ginsberg is completely worthless

5. thetick

thetick New Member

Dr. Ginsburg is one of the most inflexible and rude individuals you will ever meet. All course changes have to follow his guidelines, no exceptions even if it just means you need a single signature from him. He won't care if changing your elective could make a big difference in your competitiveness for a residency. Decided you don't want to to IM anymore and want to do anesthesia? Want to change your elective to anesthesia? TOO BAD. You say you have a great opportunity to do research, but getting the paperwork together took longer than expected due to faculty being on vacation? TOO BAD. He asks you to call him back the next day, so you decide to speak to him in person the next day? YOU FORGOT TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. I have never heard a single nice thing about Dr. Ginsburg and seriously hope that WSU gets someone to replace him very soon for the sake of all future med students at WSU.

6. thetick

thetick New Member

Don't sweat it, WSU has a great program. 3rd and 4th year are GREAT. Ginsburg is the exception. We had a 98.4% match rate this year, which is definitely above average. With Wayne, you just need to know how to work around certain people/obstacles and you'll do great.

tick