Wayne State and Reservations

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mossjoh, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2

Hi everyone. I just received an invitation to interview at Wayne State on October 30. I was curious if anyone who has previously interviewed at Wayne stayed in a hotel near the school? ..or relatively near. I live in Grand Rapids, which is about 3 hrs from Detroit, and I'm not really big into driving that morning. Does anyone have suggestions for a hotel that is nice but relatively inexpensive?
    I'm not to into staying in downtown Detroit..

Mossjoh

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member

Hey, I got an interview at Wayne State on the 30th as well...congratulations Mossjoh.
    As for reservations...it'll be expensive everywhere unfortunately. I'd recommend trying to stay in Dearborn or in a suburb just north of town. There's not many places downtown and they're all expensive.

4. Mossjoh

Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2

I'm from Aquinas College. My stats are like this: 3.84, 31MCAT, hospital ER experience (2 yrs), some shadowing, and service projects ect.

I think I'll find a hotel, I don't need an added stress of staying with strangers.

Mossjoh

5. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member

To twesting2173:
    I'm doing my undergrad at Alma College--a small liberal arts school in the middle of the state.
    My GPA is a 3.9 and I got a 33R on the MCAT.
    As for experience, I've done some hospital volunteering, but it was quite lame. I've done a good deal of shadowing and work in a nearby retirement home, and I'm an RA.

6. pcl

pcl Senior Member

I was originally from the Detroit Area, I would also suggest Dearborn. There is fairly easy access to the expressway (I-94) and It's only about 15 minutes from Wayne State, although in the morning, that drive can take longer.

Try hotels near Fairlane Town Center or Greenfield Village. I know there is a big pink holiday inn near Greenfield Village.

Good Luck

7. Whisker Barrel Cortex

I'm interviewing for residency at Wayne State in Novemeber and they made reservations for me at a hotel close to the school (isn't it great they pay for my hotel the night before the interview!). Its name is Hotel St. Regis. I don't know the prices, but it's probably not the cheapest place you could find. The phone number is (800) 848-4810 if you wanna check it out.

8. jimmybee

jimmybee Med/Peds Resident

Attending Physician
    Moss,
    Congrats on your interview here at Wayne. Truly the best way to learn about the school is to stay with a student. I'm not sure if the school does that though. When I interviewed last year, I stayed in Royal Oak with a friend and I would recommend that to you. The only problem with that is that you don't get to see some of the good places that people live in throughout the city and not in the suburbs. There truly is good places to stay in the city for rent that is very reasonable. Maybe I will see you at your interview.

--jimmybee

--jimmybee

9. jimmybee

Attending Physician
    For the posts above about stats, I am currently a first year at Wayne and these were my numbers.

Michigan State
    3.89 Physiology
    6V,10PS,10BS
    Lots of extracurriculars including 3 yrs phelebotomy experience, 6 semesters volunteering in hospitals, extensive shadowing experiences, etc.

Good luck to all,
    --jimmybee

10. Szkwicz

Szkwicz Senior Member

Ahh, I figured there should be some decent places to live in Detroit. Is there any housing on campus? Or good places to live really close to the medical campus?
    I'm quite interested in Wayne State, but also a little nervous about the housing situations...I'm sure I wouldn't let that stop me from going there if I get in though.

jimmybee--how do you like Wayne???

11. AtYourCervix

AtYourCervix Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, jimmybee, tell us about wayne. i am interviewing there on the 12th of november, and i know i will have a hard time deciding between the three school in michigan if i get into all of them. what would you tell interviewees if you were trying to sell wayne to them? did any of your classmates choose wayne over umich??

thanks!
    dukegirlie ;)

12. jimmybee

Attending Physician
    Ok, seriously..........Wayne is one of the best unknown schools in the country. I'm not saying that it is the best or anything like that, but I really like all of the things that the school has to offer. As far as your questions about the school.

1) Yes, there is some university housing, but it is largely taken up by undergrads. A small percentage (10-20%) of medical students take advantage of this. Of those who do, I have heard a lot of good things.

2) About choosing Wayne over Michigan.........I'm not so sure that this really happens. It isn't so much that Umich offers so much more, it is just that it is so much more nationally recognized and carries a great name. Actually, one of the bad things about Wayne is that the school is full of Michigan grads who act like they have something to prove because they didn't get into Michigan. The are the gunners!

As for MSU (both MD and DO schools), I was accepted to both but chose Wayne instead. Here is a portion of a post that I put up in a different post that might explain why.

Pros:
    1) The clinical experiences available.
    The large DMC hospital system is amazing and is one of the best kept secrets for those who are not from the Detroit area. Whether it is the great rotations of 3rd and 4th year, or it is the student run clinic that you can be involved in during your first year, WSU gives you the opportunity to see and do everything.

2) The city and the metro area.
    With such a big metro area to go along with the actual city, there is a lot of things to do here.

3) The diversity.
    At WSU, I feel the class truly is diverse and that the school does not try to front by just saying that.

Con's:
    1) Going in, I knew that the grading system was P/F, but I was not aware of the class ranking that is posted for each exam. This basically nullifies the P/F systems goal to lessen competition between students. Instead of being happy about getting a certain score, I have found many students only being happy knowing that they did better than a certain percentage of students.

2.) The large class.
    Wayne has the largest class in the country (256) and although this is great for diversity, it can be somewhat detrimental. My biggest complaint is in the area of community service in some of the best programs. Wayne has some really good things that you can do, but the best programs are always limited to a very select number of students.

Hopefully, this helps all of you out. I think that you will really like Wayne if you can get past Detroit's great reputation. Some people can't and it is a shame.....

--jimmybee