Wayne State Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxip

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone received their package yet? The office said they would start sending them out last week, but I haven't heard anything. If you've gotten yours, did you get any grant money?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard anything from them about financial aid yet either

But let me know when you do hear something

Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading the other day of a decent applicant, non-superstar, who recieved a full scholarship. Not sure if it was this year or last, but, how many of these do they give out?

fullefect1 said:
I was reading the other day of a decent applicant, non-superstar, who recieved a full scholarship. Not sure if it was this year or last, but, how many of these do they give out?

Well, that would completely kick a$$. I think its pretty rare, and that person most definitely would had to have qualified for need-based aid, which I think my parents messed up for me.

Anyone who hears anything, please post here or PM us!

Should I take it that all of those who have replied are going to WSU?

are all of you MI residents?

I'm also a MI resident and definitely attending Wayne next year.

i have a mini dilemma. right now i'm a MI resident but moving to LA in a few weeks. I was planning on applying as a Cali resident, forgoing my MI status. I dont know my chances at UCs (3.8, 3.6 MS, unspectacular ECs, interesting post grad experiences, just took mcats) but i know i have a good shot at wayne state (i think, based on what my wayne st friends tell me). i'm actually really attracted to wayne state (great clinical education @ henry ford, beaumont, etc).

anyways, i'm wondering if i can apply to wayne as a cali resident but tell them that i'm a "former" MI resident who only recently moved out of MI. will they treat my app as a 100% out of stater or maybe be a little more lenient on the out of state status? I sorta want to put my eggs in TWO baskets (CA and MI).

IcedCube said:
anyways, i'm wondering if i can apply to wayne as a cali resident but tell them that i'm a "former" MI resident who only recently moved out of MI. will they treat my app as a 100% out of stater or maybe be a little more lenient on the out of state status? I sorta want to put my eggs in TWO baskets (CA and MI).

Unfortunately, I don't think it works that way. They will treat you as a total out-of-stater; you still would have a pretty good shot at admission, depending on your MCAT score, but you would have to pay out of state tuition. I think that most of the people who apply from out of state are lower-end applicants who think that WSU is an easier school to get into. So, as out-of-state applicants go, I think you'd be one of the interviewed ones. If you like Wayne, I'd say keep the MI residency and you've got about a 60-70% chance of acceptance.

Keep in mind that 85-90% of Wayne students are MI residents, which puts you at a real disadvantage when applying as an out of stater. Also, CA applicants are a dime a dozen since there are so many of them, it certainly wouldn't be something unique to your application. If you really are interested in Wayne, you best bet would be to not change your residency.

ddmoore54 said:
Keep in mind that 85-90% of Wayne students are MI residents, which puts you at a real disadvantage when applying as an out of stater. Also, CA applicants are a dime a dozen since there are so many of them, it certainly wouldn't be something unique to your application. If you really are interested in Wayne, you best bet would be to not change your residency.

My familiy expected contribution will probably be zero. As an in state resident, what would my financial aid package look like (if i get in)?

FA office sent me an email saying that i'm eligible for a 6K governers grant and a boatload of loans to cover there entire 45k budget. Is there more NEED BASED grant money?? :confused:

The lady in the finacial aid office told me it would be about a month with the packages. I check pipeline the other day and it says that it got all my stuff and are just reviewing.

It isn't based on your familiy's expected contriubtion but on their income. Which sucks for more than a few of us. I am on my own, but my parents income prevents me from getting any need based grants. As for the packages at Wayne, I don't know, haven't gotten mine yet. However, the in-state tuition is dirt cheap at 15-16 grand and you could get more than enough money in loans to cover the tuition and living expenses.

IcedCube said:
i have a mini dilemma. right now i'm a MI resident but moving to LA in a few weeks. I was planning on applying as a Cali resident, forgoing my MI status. I dont know my chances at UCs (3.8, 3.6 MS, unspectacular ECs, interesting post grad experiences, just took mcats) but i know i have a good shot at wayne state (i think, based on what my wayne st friends tell me). i'm actually really attracted to wayne state (great clinical education @ henry ford, beaumont, etc).

You may want to tell them. I have a friend who did not get into med school right after college and he started working in illinois (moved from MI). As he was doing research in IL, he established residency in IL. When he applied to MSU he told them his situation and they considered him an instate resident. He was accepted to MSU 2 weeks later and only had to pay instate tuition.

I'm definitely with you concerning the whole "independent, yet screwed because of parents' income" thing. I called the financial aid office and the lady said that I should be hearing sometime "by the end of the month". Whatever... I frantically collected and submitted all of my stuff by their March 1 "priority" deadline. Looks like it helped, eh?

Tuition is damn good, though. Does anyone know how common it is to get the board of governor's grant, or other private grant money?

The March 1st deadline was for grants. I think that you had to have your stuff in before that to be considered. As for the independent status, from what I have heard you are considered by just your income for most federal based loans and grants not your parents. But for WSU campus based aid it depends on your parent's income. Hope that may help

does anyone have more specific $$$ regarding need based grants? my parents make less than 20k.

IcedCube said:
does anyone have more specific $$$ regarding need based grants? my parents make less than 20k.

You should definitely qualify for need-based aid, which is a package consisting of $6,000 in grant money and something like $7,000 in interest-free loans. I have heard that you can qualify even if your parents make $50,000 or more, depending on how many dependants they have. Good luck.