Wayne State tours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldjeeps

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Few questions for anyone out there that has interviewed at Wayne State and went on the tour.
How well did it work for you?
What would you have done differently – saw that was unnecessary, didn’t see but wish that you could have, etc. ?

I am going to be giving a tour to some of the folks that are interviewing next week and would appreciate any feedback on how to maximize the experience for the interviewees.

Thanks
oldjeeps

Wayne State University – School of Medicine
Class of 2008

P.S. if anyone has questions Re: WSU feel free to PM me or to visit the WSU-SOM forum on the Allo forum.

Members don't see this ad.

Well honestly the tour guides when I went were awful. They rushed through a bit and didn't really tell us much. They didn't seem to know much (they were 1st years). Perhaps if possible show a bit more of the hospitals. It would also be nice if they actually sat and had lunch with us to answer questions instead of leaving right away also.

Basically my problem came down to knowledge the tour guides had and the way the delivered the information.

I'd say talk about the hospitals and the opportunities in Det as a med student. I really felt that the class was not close at all and people all seemed to be doing their own thing.

With that said it wasn't too bad a day at Wayne and I may even be there next year.

ti89 said:
Well honestly the tour guides when I went were awful. They rushed through a bit and didn't really tell us much. They didn't seem to know much (they were 1st years). Perhaps if possible show a bit more of the hospitals. It would also be nice if they actually sat and had lunch with us to answer questions instead of leaving right away also.

Basically my problem came down to knowledge the tour guides had and the way the delivered the information.

I'd say talk about the hospitals and the opportunities in Det as a med student. I really felt that the class was not close at all and people all seemed to be doing their own thing.

With that said it wasn't too bad a day at Wayne and I may even be there next year.

ti89,

Thanks for your thoughts. I can certainly see that the knowledge of guides might be an issue.

I felt a bit rushed during the last tour that I gave, but part of that is due to the way that lectures are scheduled. If you were here on a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday then the students only have an hour lunch in which to get everything in (if they plan on going to their afternoon class), Tuesday and Thursday are a bit more relaxed with 90 minutes between the morning and afternoon lectures.

Re: your statement about the class not seeming very close. Not to give any excuses, but depending on when you were here the MS1s might still have been getting to know their classmates which might give that impression. The other thing to remember is that as the largest single campus med school in the nation WSU does tend to have a bunch of cliques within each class (can’t say for sure but considering all of the comparisons I have heard between high school and medical school it is probably a common occurrence). That said there are some of my classmates that I still don’t know/wouldn’t recognize (but some of those are the med school by correspondence crowd).

Best of luck to you as you make your way through the application process.

oldjeeps

Members don't see this ad :)
oldjeeps said:
Few questions for anyone out there that has interviewed at Wayne State and went on the tour.
How well did it work for you?
What would you have done differently – saw that was unnecessary, didn’t see but wish that you could have, etc. ?

I am going to be giving a tour to some of the folks that are interviewing next week and would appreciate any feedback on how to maximize the experience for the interviewees.

Thanks
oldjeeps

Wayne State University – School of Medicine
Class of 2008

P.S. if anyone has questions Re: WSU feel free to PM me or to visit the WSU-SOM forum on the Allo forum.

Hi, I just interviewed at Wayne State. I actually had a decent tour experience held by two students. I think it was a little rushed, but it was thorough never the less. The tour guides took us to several lecture rooms. It all looked the same to me, so I kind of didn't see the point.... It would be nice to see more of the hospitals and maybe to different ones. I liked how we got to see the library. The sdn feedback comments said that they didn't get to see the library, so that was cool that I did. You guys actually have a decent library.. Also, it would be awesome if you can give some of your personal experiences while you give the tour. I think as an interviewee...we have very limited contact with students so you're the only person we've got, so if you can give info about the curriculum or activities...that'd be awesome...Oh, I kind of liked going to that hall with the grades..and the hall with the organization postings...that's neat to show. Gives us a glimpse of what types of organizations and activities Wayne state students get involved in. I think that's unique because compare to other schools, the students at Wayne state are REALLY involved in community service. Show that off :) Anyways, I really liked this school. I hope to get in! :)

I'd totally love to help you, but I haven't yet interviewed there, and so feedback for your purpose would be immpossible. But, again, I WOULD LOVE to help you out if only I was in the position to.

That being said, perhaps you could slide in a kind word or two about me to Dr. Norman? My name is ________ and my AMCAS# is 43092834-582-358
Since I am totally willing, just unable to help you, I'm sure you will help me out. Thanks alot! LOL j.k.

BlinkyCat, thanks for the feedback.
Not sure if it would be possible to show more of the hospitals without feeling even more rushed but I'll look into the possibility.

cfdavid, I don't think you want me to talk to Dr. Norman about you or anyone else. He's probably still trying to figure out how I managed to get my hands on an acceptance letter. :laugh: :rolleyes:

I just interviewed at WSU recently. The tour was great - the guides were very helpful, told us all about what they thought of med school, how they managed their lives/time, etc. They sat and had lunch with us and let us ask anything. We went through about 2 hospitals, the anatomy lab, lecture halls, etc. I was very pleased and impressed with how friendly/helpful they were, as well as some of the other students (met a few others who were nice enough to ask my how my interview went - the suit is a dead giveaway - and take me up to their lecture hall).

I didn't see any of the hospitals, or the library. :( I wouldn't say that the tour was bad, but it wasn't good. I felt like we were just going through the motions. I arrived looking for and wanting information on all of the positive aspects of the school. I left wondering why I didn't have an opportunity so see many of them.

I think the OP touched on the main problem, the lack of time. The tour by itself should be ~1 hour, not 1 hour for the tour + lunch.

SailCrazy said:
I didn't see any of the hospitals, or the library. :( I wouldn't say that the tour was bad, but it wasn't good. I felt like we were just going through the motions. I arrived looking for and wanting information on all of the positive aspects of the school. I left wondering why I didn't have an opportunity so see many of them.

I think the OP touched on the main problem, the lack of time. The tour by itself should be ~1 hour, not 1 hour for the tour + lunch.

The lack of time is an issue, but there really isn't anything we can do about it. The first time I gave a tour, we were able to cover just about everything, but we were still rushed trying to give the interviewees as much of a glimpse of life here as possible, even though we had the full hour and a half.

If your tour guides are first years, please cut them some slack because by now the only places they really know are the lecture halls and gross lab, and they haven't had a chance to get involved very much with the student organizations.

In terms of the hospitals, the amount of time we spend there is next to none up to this point, and I'm a second year. Consequently, we don't know much of anything about the hospitals other than how many there are and the few bits and pieces we string together by word of mouth. We don't know much about 3rd/4th year either unless a relative went through the system here, mostly because they simply don't tell us anything before they have to.

I'd recommend getting a morning interview if possible for a couple reasons. First, you can get it over with and be far less stressed when it comes to the tour. Second, you might be able to sway your tour guide(s) to letting you come to lecture with them once the tour is over to get a feel for what to expect and to have the extra time to ask any questions that come to your mind later.

deowolf04 said:
In terms of the hospitals, the amount of time we spend there is next to none up to this point, and I'm a second year. Consequently, we don't know much of anything about the hospitals other than how many there are and the few bits and pieces we string together by word of mouth. We don't know much about 3rd/4th year either unless a relative went through the system here, mostly because they simply don't tell us anything before they have to.

It's too bad the 1st/2nd years aren't able to show off the hospitals. Receiving has a new ED. Children's is clean and attractive as most pedi hospitals are and run the regional poison control center. The VA is fairly new and looks pretty nice both inside and out. Those would be attractive places to show off. Then you could point out Hutzel, Harper, UHC, Karmanos and mention RIM, Kresge Eye, and the strong affiliations with the off-site Henry Ford and (I assume?) Beaumont health systems. Plus the satellite DMC facilities that'll give you almost rural and suburban experience. Where else do you have 3 level 1 adult trauma centers and 2 level 1 pedi trauma centers available to you in such close proximity without other nearby med schools to compete against?

Anyone know when their next adcom meeting is?

I definitely understand the reasons for the issues, but it doesn't change the end result.

I guess in my mind it comes down to this. If the admissions department/med school administration felt it was important enough to do a better job of highlighting their school's strong points, they'd find a way to do it. (Like finding more time or better educating first years before they start giving tours, for example.) I felt like they left it up to me to assume or find out what was good rather than showing me. That is a reasonable approach, I suppose, but not one that is going to be especially effective in recruiting canditates who are strongly considering other options as well.

Again, the experience wasn't bad, but it sure did leave a whole lot to be desired.

If you want to effect some change, maybe you should pass some of the thoughts that people have shared here along to admissions and administration.

deowolf04 said:
The lack of time is an issue, but there really isn't anything we can do about it. The first time I gave a tour, we were able to cover just about everything, but we were still rushed trying to give the interviewees as much of a glimpse of life here as possible, even though we had the full hour and a half.

If your tour guides are first years, please cut them some slack because by now the only places they really know are the lecture halls and gross lab, and they haven't had a chance to get involved very much with the student organizations.

Chopianista said:
Anyone know when their next adcom meeting is?

Don't know. You could always try calling the admissions office and asking them - but I doubt it will do you any good. They only will tell you if you got in on the four dates that they published (sorry don't know when they are this year). Only exception to that is after the last date when they start taking people off of the alternate list (not to imply that you have to wait until late spring/summer to get off the alternate list, since I know someone that was alt. listed and then accepted at one of the later "call in" dates).

SailCrazy said:
If you want to effect some change, maybe you should pass some of the thoughts that people have shared here along to admissions and administration.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
good idea, why don't you share it with the admissions office? If you are worried that it might negatively impact your application then sign it as "a concerned applicant".
One of the reasons that the interview is structured as it is (as told to me by someone from admissions) - as compared to interview days at other schools - is the fact that WSU interviews so many people and on so many days.

I would raise the issue for you, but one thing that I have been learning this year is to be more selective with the battles that I pick (with the administration).

oldjeeps said:
good idea, why don't you share it with the admissions office? If you are worried that it might negatively impact your application then sign it as "a concerned applicant".
One of the reasons that the interview is structured as it is (as told to me by someone from admissions) - as compared to interview days at other schools - is the fact that WSU interviews so many people and on so many days.

I would raise the issue for you, but one thing that I have been learning this year is to be more selective with the battles that I pick (with the administration).

I am pretty sure SailCrazy has been accepted at Wayne as well as Umich. Bringing up a suggestion for the tour would not impact SailCrazy's app.

Our guide actually got lost in the hospitals but he answered our questions the entire time and it gave us a chance to see a lot of the hospitals. I didn't feel like he was trying to rush through anything and he answered most of our questions. I only wish we had visited the library although I didn't ask. I guess there will be plenty of time for the library later right?!

ti89 said:
I am pretty sure SailCrazy has been accepted at Wayne as well as Umich. Bringing up a suggestion for the tour would not impact SailCrazy's app.
oldjeeps said:

ti89 is right, I wouldn't feel worried about my status.

oldjeeps, I may decide to send something in, but I won't do it unless I get the idea that they actually care or would consider doing something. I would like to see some changes, but I won't waste my time if they are just going to dismiss what I've written.

SailCrazy said:
oldjeeps, I may decide to send something in, but I won't do it unless I get the idea that they actually care or would consider doing something. I would like to see some changes, but I won't waste my time if they are just going to dismiss what I've written.

As I stated previously:
oldjeeps said:
I can expand on that thought if you really want me to... or just visit the WSU-SOM thread on the Allo board and read all of our complaining.

abcd1234 said:
I guess there will be plenty of time for the library later right?!

That's one way to look at it... seeing how that place is like my second home some weeks.

oldjeeps said:
As I stated previously:

I can expand on that thought if you really want me to... or just visit the WSU-SOM thread on the Allo board and read all of our complaining.
I've checked out that thread - that's probably why I won't take the time to send an thoughts...