Wayne State University vs. Rosalind Franklin Chicago Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angelMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the post but I still cannot decide between Wayne State University and Rosalind Franklin Chicago Medical School. From all the advice I sought, it seems WSU would be the best choice for my future, although I am currently living in Chicago and don't want to move :( . Either school I will have to move because of long commutes (Chicago to North Chicago vs. Oxford (Dad's house) to Detroit. In general, if you study really hard everyday during the week, is it feasible to go on occasional weekend trips? i.e. 1 time monthly trip from Detroit to Chicago via plane? Thanks for any advice about which school to choose or traveling.

Members don't see this ad.

angelMD said:
Sorry for the post but I still cannot decide between Wayne State University and Rosalind Franklin Chicago Medical School. From all the advice I sought, it seems WSU would be the best choice for my future, although I am currently living in Chicago and don't want to move :( . Either school I will have to move because of long commutes (Chicago to North Chicago vs. Oxford (Dad's house) to Detroit. In general, if you study really hard everyday during the week, is it feasible to go on occasional weekend trips? i.e. 1 time monthly trip from Detroit to Chicago via plane? Thanks for any advice about which school to choose or traveling.

I just finished my first year at CMS. People bash this school because its a 'bad' school, ie they look only at the ranking its given. The fact of the matter is, however, that our match list is great and our schools step 1 average is 7-8 pts above the national avg. You will get a good education either way. And yeah, we do have time to go downtown and have fun every so often, although they work us HARD the rest of the time. Weekend trips are fine. My roommate even DROVE from detroit to chicago every weekend just to visit his family. In the end, the decision is up to you, wherever you feel more comfortable, and wherever you think you will get the most out of your education. Best of luck.

...seems like every damn school's avg Step 1 score is above the natl. avg...

Members don't see this ad :)
amojan99 said:
...seems like every damn school's avg Step 1 score is above the natl. avg...

I think most of them probably are. Not to start a war but the data shows that FMGs and DOs pass step 1 at a much lower rate, so I would have to imagine alot of the below average scores are coming from that area. I noticed on the interview trail that every school (top 20 to sort of bottom-mid tier) bragged about how they "beat the mean" on Step 1. Statistics can be a bit misleading.

Go wherever you would have in state tuition. It costs an arm and a leg to go to Wayne if you don't have in state status. You'll get a good education at any US medical school. Might as well save some money and go where it's cheaper.

Man, if you have instate tuition at Wayne State, I would most definitely go there. It seems like Wayne is the best school for you; if the best thing that RFU has going for it is taht you don't have to relocate, definitely go to Wayne.

if you can get instate at wayne, save a fortune and go there. Other than that, go with whatever school you think would be a better fit, not which one would be the most convinient. you'll be at either for 4 years, you don't want to regret a decsion you made because one school was "easier to get to"

Oh, and in for another RFU flame war.... :rolleyes:

Mperor said:
if you can get instate at wayne, save a fortune and go there. Other than that, go with whatever school you think would be a better fit, not which one would be the most convinient. you'll be at either for 4 years, you don't want to regret a decsion you made because one school was "easier to get to"

Oh, and in for another RFU flame war.... :rolleyes:

Not as bad as I would have thought. The main argument for going to Wayne is money (if in-state). I was also expecting an all out 'RFU sucks' campaign.

prazmatic said:
Not as bad as I would have thought. The main argument for going to Wayne is money (if in-state). I was also expecting an all out 'RFU sucks' campaign.

check out the RFU vs. UIC thread if you want to see some real flaming...

angelMD said:

i just finished first year at wayne so i can't speak for second year, but during first year you would be able to take the occasional weekend trips. Exams are only once a month, so the weekends after the exam and the weekends after that are pretty light, if not totally open.

I think if I were in your position I would lean toward wayne for the clincial experience, but I would definately take into account the tuition difference. It is not worth it to pay $40k tuition + $20k living expenses per year for any school.... $240k for MD?! :eek:

I do know a gal in our class (newly third years) who goes home to see family on the other side of the state (about a three/four hour drive depending on traffic) every weekend. I believe she managed to do that every weekend during first year and at least every other weekend second year.

fun8stuff said:
It is not worth it to pay $40k tuition + $20k living expenses per year for any school.... $240k for MD?! :eek:

opinion opinion opinion. tons of private school students and out of state students would disagree with you.

Mperor said:
opinion opinion opinion. tons of private school students and out of state students would disagree with you.

I think the point was that in this context, this should be a major consideration

CMS is kinda far from the city... and I know nothing about Wayne. But -- best advice is, go where you think you'll be happiest.

Life is too short to be wasting 4 years of it being miserable at a cheaper school.

AmoryBlaine said:
I think most of them probably are. Not to start a war but the data shows that FMGs and DOs pass step 1 at a much lower rate, so I would have to imagine alot of the below average scores are coming from that area. I noticed on the interview trail that every school (top 20 to sort of bottom-mid tier) bragged about how they "beat the mean" on Step 1. Statistics can be a bit misleading.

But yet again you have Carib. Schools (foreign) like SGU that 99% pass the boards on first try and >99% get residencies even with the competition of the very limited residency spots. A deciding factor could be some schools DONT let you take STEP I until you know FOR SURE x,y,z that way they can keep there numbers up and brag they are better than Harvard. It's all irrelevent in the end, just do your best and beat your own average and that puts you at above average in your own little world.

Prevalent said:
CMS is kinda far from the city... and I know nothing about Wayne. But -- best advice is, go where you think you'll be happiest.

Life is too short to be wasting 4 years of it being miserable at a cheaper school.

Dont think of the money or dont listen to us, go with your heart and where you will truely be happy living and which school truely fits your personality best.

Thread necromancy!

Ask the pre-allo forum, they are more likely to know.

In reality, the schools avg Step 1 score=useless information since its highly individualized and, as stated here, everyone is always above the mean.

I was going to respond to this until I realized the thread is over three years old and the OP is probably applying to residencies right now - what a pointless bump