Wayne State vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babyriver12

Reaction score
Wayne State
Pros
  • Closer to family and friends
  • Cost ($140,000k for tuition after 4 years)
  • Less expensive cost of living
Cons
  • Lower-ranking
  • Issues with affiliated hospitals
  • Poor communication from the administration with students
  • Unsure of name recognition outside of Michigan/midwest if I want to go elsewhere for residency

Jefferson
Pros
  • I enjoyed the interview day and everyone I spoke with more even though it was virtual
  • Great home residency for ortho
  • I am really interested in ortho, and if not ortho likely another competitive specialty. Jefferson seems better for that, but I'm not sure by how much.
  • Everyone seems really happy at Jefferson
  • More research opportunities (?)
Cons
  • Money (240k tuition after four years, unknown financial aid)
  • Farther from home and SO

Summary: It seems like it is coming down to the ranking/opportunities/residency placement at Jefferson vs. the cost of Wayne.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not overly familiar with Wayne but ortho at Jefferson is hard to beat. It seems like Jefferson in general is a better option - what is the instability/disfunction with wayne? Did you get an aid package yet at either or just quoting known tuition numbers? How many hours away from family is each? How committed to ortho are you?

If Jeff is less than 300K for 4 years and is withing 100k of wayne, Id probly vote Jeff.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I am not overly familiar with Wayne but ortho at Jefferson is hard to beat. It seems like Jefferson in general is a better option - what is the instability/disfunction with wayne? Did you get an aid package yet at either or just quoting known tuition numbers? How many hours away from family is each? How committed to ortho are you?

If Jeff is less than 300K for 4 years and is withing 100k of wayne, Id probly vote Jeff.
They have had issues with DMC not allowing WSU pediatricians to work at the hospitals, and I have heard that some of the newer Michigan schools have been taking away some of their clinical sites. Also in 2015, they were put on accreditation probation.

I got my financial aid offer from Jeff after making this post, and it lowers the tuition to around 51k a year vs. 34k at Wayne. So after 4 years, it's around 200k vs. 137k.

I am pretty set on ortho I would say, my undergrad set me up for it pretty well. If not ortho I would say I would likely choose another competitive specialty like optho.

Thank you so much!

They have had issues with DMC not allowing WSU pediatricians to work at the hospitals, and I have heard that some of the newer Michigan schools have been taking away some of their clinical sites. Also in 2015, they were put on accreditation probation.

I got my financial aid offer from Jeff after making this post, and it lowers the tuition to around 51k a year vs. 34k at Wayne. So after 4 years, it's around 200k vs. 137k.

I am pretty set on ortho I would say, my undergrad set me up for it pretty well. If not ortho I would say I would likely choose another competitive specialty like optho.

Thank you so much!
Jeff has access to the near best in optho and ortho, and considering its now much closer for COA, it seems like a great fit. How much is leaving your family going to affect you?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much!

I think with this information and you wanting to do ortho, Jefferson might be the better choice slightly. The price difference is not massive here. Would your SO be willing to move to philly?

That being said, you can definitely match Ortho from Wayne state too and if being near family/SO is important to you, then you should pick it. But this is a personal consideration. This is the Wayne match list from this year and they have plenty of solid ortho matches:

You said ortho so I'd ignore everything else and go to Jefferson.

However, decide after you hear from Jeff fin aid.

Jeff has access to the near best in optho and ortho, and considering its now much closer for COA, it seems like a great fit. How much is leaving your family going to affect you?
I think it'll be okay, I didn't go to undergrad near home, but people seem to stress being close to family and friends so I think that is stressing me out a little bit.

You said ortho so I'd ignore everything else and go to Jefferson.

However, decide after you hear from Jeff fin aid.
I heard back, and it's around a 60k difference in tuition after 4 years. I think this is close enough that I am going to pick Jeff

Reactions: 1 users
I think with this information and you wanting to do ortho, Jefferson might be the better choice slightly. The price difference is not massive here. Would your SO be willing to move to philly?

That being said, you can definitely match Ortho from Wayne state too and if being near family/SO is important to you, then you should pick it. But this is a personal consideration. This is the Wayne match list from this year and they have plenty of solid ortho matches:

Thank you, I couldn't find the actual match list so that is very helpful. They do match more ortho than I thought, but I still think I'll have better/easier opportunities at Jefferson. It's just hard to commit to a school that far away that I have never been to lol

Thank you, I couldn't find the actual match list so that is very helpful. They do match more ortho than I thought, but I still think I'll have better/easier opportunities at Jefferson. It's just hard to commit to a school that far away that I have never been to lol
Totally get it - had the same issue this year with residency interviews. If it makes you feel better, the Jefferson campus is in an amazing part of Philly - very central. Can’t imagine that you won’t like it. And flights to Michigan are short. At the end of the day, 4 years is a short time and you may actually be setting yourself up for more geographic flexibility come match time if you have a stronger application.

• Love