Wayne State vs. MSU CHM vs. Drexel vs. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silbil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these schools (Wayne State, MSU CHM, Drexel and Loyola) and am having a lot of trouble! I'm a MI resident but I would be willing to pay tuition out of state if it meant a better program. Anyone know of any pros and cons or good ways to decide? Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

silbil said:
I'm trying to decide between these schools (Wayne State, MSU CHM, Drexel and Loyola) and am having a lot of trouble! Anyone know of any pros and cons or good ways to decide? Any input would be greatly appreciated :D

loyola

I personally would've gone to loyola...if they hadn't rejected me, pre-secondary and all... They're located in an awesome area, with a great hospital right next door. They have awesome facilities (I don't know if you've ever visited, but they're quite amazing). They even have a robot that is like a person that you can practice procedures on that is quite realistic. The faculty there seems very supportive...granted chm and wayne faculty are supportive as well (i haven't researched drexel as much), and everything at loyola just seems very new.
About the other schools though--
Wayne is a great school if you're looking for a very urban environment. They're inner-city and you're going to see a lot of uninsured and underinsured individuals when you do your rounds, so if that's what floats your boat, Wayne is for you.
With CHM, they are very primary-care oriented. Granted not EVERYONE does primary care, but that's what the school is known for. With CHM though the thing you have to consider is the move during third year and fourth year because chances are, you won't be staying in east lansing due to high demand of east lansing hospitals for rounds, so chanses are you'll be moving to saginaw, flint, traverse city or grand rapids. Also, East Lansing isn't a big town, so if you like the big city feel, it's not for you and you should probably go for loyola or wayne.
Wayne and CHM offer you in-state tuition, but you said that you don't care much about that. That's my two cents though.