Wayne State vs. Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you choose?

• Wayne

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • OSU

Votes: 41 83.7%

• Total voters

nkdp93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! As of now, I am deciding between two schools, Wayne State and Ohio State. In terms of ranking, I think OSU is in the 30s and Wayne is in the 60s but I'm trying not to take that into account too much.

Wayne:
Pro:

Closer to home
Cheaper (IS)
Huge alumni network
Diverse patient population/awesome clinical experience
Pass/fail/honors

Con:
Not a big fan of living in Detroit or having to commute if I live in the suburbs

Misc:
Huge class size (300) -- not sure if this is a pro or a con

OSU:
Pro:

Systems-based curriculum
I really like Columbus
Pass/fail
Hospital system seems really nice

Con:
More expensive (~45k more total -- this is taking into account gaining Ohio residency/IS tuition for years 2/3/4)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at OSU and loved it! It seemed like a put-together school with great opportunities and friendly people. I wouldn't choose not to go there based on price. Since you can declare Ohio residency after a year, tuition there is pretty cheap. In general, OSU is not that expensive. From what I gathered during my interviews in Ohio, OSU is very well regarded and has a huge alumni network, too.

That being said, remember that also OSU claims to be P/F, it ranks you internally. Therefore, it's not truly P/F since residency programs see your rank.

OSU is an awesome school that is really on the rise. I think it's definitely worth the extra cost and still not too far from home if you're IS for Wayne.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can become "in state" after a year in Ohio, I believe. Did you factor that into your cost difference?

@Australopithekus yes I did! I'll add a note in the original post. OSU charges an extra semester for years 3 and 4 so for in-state those years cost 45k.

Basically the cost breakdown is like this:
Wayne: ~30k all 4 years
OSU: ~45k 1st year (OOS tuition), ~30k 2nd year (IS), ~45k 3rd/4th year (IS)

OSU:
Pro:
Systems-based curriculum
I really like Columbus
Pass/fail
Hospital system seems really nice

That would be the big point for me. After being at a systems based school, I really can't imagine learning things using a traditional curriculum. I know a few people that prefer the traditional approach, but the vast majority of people I've talked to agree that systems is just more cohesive. If Wayne state is a traditional curriculum, I'd go OSU for sure, but that's just me.

I voted for THE Ohio State University, haha. Bit better reputation, Columbus seems like a fun town for a young med student, systems based is the way to go, pass/fail is preferred (although watch out for secret rankings I guess). The difference in price is not that great in the scheme of things.

I think that the 45k is worth it for OSU. Another vote for the Buckeyes!

Who would ever want to live in that state up north?? ;)

The 45K isn't big enough of a factor to dissuade me from OSU. I would go to OSU