Wayne State vs TCU-UNTHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teeraa

Reaction score
Wayne state
Pros
-wayne does a lot of service work with underserved
-urban
-good school for research
-well known (maybe just in the Michigan area)
-Detroit/midtown seems like a fun place to live

cons
-I’ve never lived anywhere cold
-huge class sizes
-I’ve heard admin is disorganized
-Detroit is possibly less safe
-probably more expensive

TCU/UNTHSC
pros
-I’m from the west coast and would prefer to match somewhere over there for residency
-very early clinical explosure
-small class size
-required research
-I love their curriculum
-cheaper

Cons
-very new school (no match list/step 1 score data, not reputable/established)

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose TCU over Wayne just because it is cheaper, better weather, closer to the west coast, and a higher possibility of matching back to that side of the country. Also, the small class sizes at TCU (more help/attention to each student) are a plus. Also, if you think Wayne's admin is disorganized, that may be a red flag right there, since that will most likely continue throughout your medical education. One thing I do know is that TCU's admin is very organized, eventhough it is a new school. You would think it should be the other way around, where Wayne is more organized. I know that TCU is a new school but have no doubt in their capabilities to produce excellent physicians. Every school is new at some point, right?

Reactions: 1 user
I would advise you against going to a new school. There may be kinks in the program and you don't want to be the one experiencing it. Also, not sure if Texas counts as West Coast for residency purposes. I think your chance at matching a competitive residency (West Coast residencies) will be much higher at a well-established school like Wayne. Lastly, the clinical training you'll receive at Wayne will be unparalleled because of Detroit's diverse communities and the variety of cases that's not often seen elsewhere.

Wayne unless you cannot handle the cold. Their admin can def be disorganized but they are well recognized with a massive alumni network, many research opportunities, and the clinical training is solid. If you want to be in Texas or in the south, TCU might help a little more but Wayne is not going to close west coast doors.