Wayne State vs UICOM Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patronj

ms1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really don't know what specialty I would like to go into but I'm a current PhD student with a focus on preterm birth (perinatology/obgyn).
Here's my weak pro's and con's list.....

Wayne

Pros:
-COA over 4 years is $100,000+ cheaper than UICOM - Chicago
-The NIH Perinatology Branch is in Detroit and affiliated with Wayne and I'm in contact with one of the head faculty! But I don't even know if I want to do OB!
-Moved up in the USNEWS research rankings, from the high 70s now at 66
-Has all the different specialty programs
-Experience in an urban center, good for trauma, em, etc

Cons:
-Its Detroit

UICOM Chicago

Pros:
-Its more recognized and higher rank than Wayne (55 in research)
-I'm completely in love with Chicago (been there a few times), have extended family in the suburbs

Cons:
-It'll cost me 100k+ more than Wayne for COA

Please add to my pro's and con's list, and lmk what you think considering and not considering the cost.

Members don't see this ad.

No medical school (IMO) is worth an extra 100K+ over the course of 4 years. Of course unless it is your only option, which luckily is not the case for you! I would choose Wayne since it is WAY cheaper and in a large city which offers a diverse patient and student population. Yes, I would rather live in Chicago, but not for 100K more.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
No medical school (IMO) is worth an extra 100K+ over the course of 4 years. Of course unless it is your only option, which luckily is not the case for you! I would choose Wayne since it is WAY cheaper and in a large city which offers a diverse patient and student population. Yes, I would rather live in Chicago, but not for 100K more.
Thank you!

I don't know if UIC Chicago gives you much of a boost based on reputation compared to Wayne State. Both are solid, well established programs. I'd go for the cheaper option here. But yeah I'd rather live in Chicago too.

Maybe some native Detroiters can assuage your concerns about the city?

• Care
Reactions: 1 user