1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Wayne State- what do they look for?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Kennysdn, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Kennysdn

Kennysdn Member
    7+ Year Member

I was wondering if anyone would share their experience of applying to wayne state. any tips on becoming a more competitive applicant at this university? any advice would be appreciated- Thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think they are somewhat numbers oriented. I had a friend with great ec's who got rejected last year. He then met with the dean who told him everything in his application was great, except for the fact he did not get at least 9's in all his MCAT sections (he had 8,9,8). So I would say try to maintain a gpa of at least 3.5 and aim for a solid, evenly distributed MCAT. It is a good school with great clinical learning, but of course the downside is the city and location.

4. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

preferrably instate, they've a very high #. So if ur average instater, then u've a great shot. Great clinical experience, I volunteered at one of their hospitals: large cancer facility, Karmanos Cancer Jospital. Makes findy residency spots for specialty easier.
    They've great waiting list movement. If you're on the waiting list, you've a great chance of getting accepted late, like May-July.

5. Kennysdn

Kennysdn Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for your input- anyone else have experiences they would like to share- I am an in state applicant

6. mcatkitkat

mcatkitkat Member
    7+ Year Member

I second that. They're all about numbers. So so ECs and rec letters, I think, can be more than compensated with 9-10 mcat scores and a decent gpa. The location is a dump. Clinical years are supposed to be excellent.

7. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

Well my friends, not URM, got in with all 8s, so i dont think everyone has to hve a 9 in each sect

8. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The person I was talking about also applied pretty late, so that may have also been against him.

9. bruinkid

bruinkid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

how do you know that wayne state has a really high waitlist movement?

10. dst10spr97

dst10spr97 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

This is kind of off topic a little, but Wayne State is one of the schools I am considering applying to (when I get to that point). I was born and raised in Michigan, lived there up until this April when I moved to Atlanta. I will probably end up doing my post bacc work here in Atlanta. Is there any way I can apply to Michigan schools as a Michigan resident, even if I have been working and living in Atlanta for a couple of years? I think I really want to go back to Michigan eventually.

11. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think you have to establish michigan residency for about 6-12 months to be considered instate.

12. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know about waitlist movement, but according to US News of the 76 out of state people interviewed last year, 60 were accepted, so if you are out of state you have a very good shot.

13. lotanna

lotanna Child of God
    7+ Year Member

well based on personal experience, I had 5 friends on waiting list last 2 yrs, and they all got in. Some got in as late as July.

14. most of what you are going to hear on this board is based on personal experience (I admit, this is where I get my info much of the time), or less reliably, on rumors and fear from other pre-meds. honestly, if you are expecting to run into a know-all pre-med advisor on here, it ain't happenin' and you should probably look to other sources of information. also, wayne state hardly takes any out-of-staters (I have heard <15% of class is from out-of-state) so I wouldn't waste your time applying if you are not a MI resident (unless you have spec. stats and/or ties to the state). The average MCAT for WSU is around 27-28.

15. Kennysdn

Kennysdn Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks again, helpful- any WSU students checking this out?

16. jofrbr76

jofrbr76 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I wouldn't say that WSU is totally all about the numbers, maybe if you're applying out of state.

At the same time, as an in-state applicant, i can't seem to explain why i was wait listed, other than maybe my interview didn't go as well as i had thought. My numbers are well above their averages, maybe not for white males, however. (3.6 gpa, 9V,12P,11B), whereas my roommate got in with (3.86 , 11V,13P,14B)

I know of 5 people from my state school who got in off the waiting list last year, that and with 3 more chances before being put on the final alternate list for april, i hope i can squeeze out an acceptance from a school that accepts like 30% of ALL in-state applicants.

Joe

17. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Couldn't figure Wayne out ...

I had a 3.1 and a 34S ... applied in June, didn't get a secondary until end of March. Don't even know if they sent me a rejection letter.

In the meanwhile, I got into MSU and Tulane before November. I thought my only shot was going to be at Wayne, but I couldn't even squeeze an interview out of them.

Oh well, I'm happy here, but it would have been nice to have the option of being close to home.

18. dst10spr97

dst10spr97 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is it my system or is this site dragging today? Anyhoo I would really like to go to med school back in Michigan. All of my family is there and I could probably find a way to live rent free or at least dirt cheap. I took a job in Atlanta back in the summer, because I needed a change of scenery at the time. Therefore gave up my Michigan residency, unless I find another job and move back.....hmmmmm....I have a lot of friends and family in Detroit.

19. Chieka

Chieka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah, I think it is: I was about to get murderous with the computers today.

Anyhow, as a Canadian applicant, I'm definitely out of state, but Wayne State requested a secondary app anyway, which I sent on Wednesday. My gpa is okay, by my MCAT scores were not stellar. I am happy they wanted the secondary; hopefully they'll request an interview too! :)

C.

20. WesternGirl

WesternGirl Member
    7+ Year Member

I too am a Canadian and interviewed there last year. They took a long time to send me a secondary (I applied in October, received my secondary sometime in February, I think). However, I received an interview very quickly after submitting my secondary (maybe a week or two at the most).

Even though Wayne State may accept less than 15% out-of-state, the class size is about 250, so that still equals at least 25 out-of-staters. I personally thought Wayne State accepted one of the highest number of out-of-staters, for a public school (at least from schools that accepted Canadians).

21. dst10spr97

dst10spr97 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good luck to you both. I miss being able to drive an hour and be in another country. Good ole' Canada.

22. Kennysdn

Kennysdn Member
    7+ Year Member

23. jolu

jolu Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hi everyone, i just got an interview invite from wayne state, and i was hoping that someone could tell me how the interview goes there. the letter just gave me a date and time, does that mean i don't have to call to schedule?
    any advice would be nice, thanks alot!!!

24. mws99

mws99 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think they ask you to call 24 hrs. in advance just to confirm your appointment. The day is short, a 1 hr interview and a 1 hr lunch/tour.

And here are some of Wayne's most common interview question, posted by somebody else on another thread:

If I could tell the admissions committee one thing, what would it be?
    I was asked the 5 adjectives friends would use to describe me question.
    He also asked what he should tell the committee to really "sell" me.
    What can you offer to Wayne State University?
    What career would you choose if you could not become a physician?
    Why do you feel that there should be a basic standard of medical care available to everyone?
    When/why did you decide to become a doctor?
    What is the biggest problem with medicine? What is the biggest ethical problem with medicine?
    What was the most enjoyable moment in your life?
    Were you ever treated unfairly?
    What he should tell the committee about me?
    What?s one ethical issue you think we'll face in the future? How do you plan to deal with it?
    What are the cons of socialized medicine?
    Propose a hypothesis to test
    What's the biggest problem in healthcare? How would you solve it?
    Was there ever something you did that "seemed like a good idea at the time," but upon further consideration wasn't a good idea?
    When did you have to make an important decision in your life?

The five adjectives questions seemed universal (atleast when I was applying).

25. Chieka

Chieka Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Relax jolu. :) I really enjoyed my interview.

One thing that came across to me was that Wayne State really, really wants students who are comfortable with diversity. My interviewer really stressed this.

And yes, I agree that they want to see what makes you different from the other great applicants that they have. You may want to tell them how Wayne State is in line with your own career goals.

Equally, though, they seemed concerned with selling me on the school. My interviewer seemed so intent on doing so that at one point, I point blank told her that I was sold on the school.

mws99 noted most of the questions. I got the 5 adjective questions too. I also was asked to give two weaknesses; what I do for fun, etc. etc. It was a pretty relaxed environment.

Other than that, I can't think of much else to tell you. Oh, the school was hard to find - the directions weren't very good. But no biggie, really.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

C.