Wayne vs. OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Starchild

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been trying to decide between Wayne and OUWB for the 2017 entering class.

For me tuition cost is not an issue (HPSP) and I actually intend to go to lecture where ever I go. Also distance is not a problem as they're broth about the same drive.

I thought this topic might be worth revisiting given that older were not as extensive or up to date as I would like.

So far here are the pros and cons in my opinion (also some questions I hope I could get answered)?

OUWB
Pros:
Good curriculum- research, mentorship, integrated into curriculum
Convenient, accessible campus with nice facilities
Good class size -125
Good rotations (from what I've heard)

Cons
Not as well established as Wayne -in terms of residency matches
low research funding

Questions about OUWB?
Are the Beaumont hospitals really that much better than the DMC and other Hospitals that Wayne is affiliated with, in terms of rotations and all around care??

Would the quality of research projects at OUWB not be as good as Wayne b/c of funding?

Wayne

Pros:
very well established
Strong selection of clinical affiliates
a lot of funding- lot of research projects
extensive selection of residencies
nice facilities
a lot of volunteering opertunities working with undeserved

Cons
curriculum is not as structured and organized as OUWB
HUGE class size
Not as accessible b/c of everything else going on in the city.

Questions about Wayne?
I feel that with such a large class size it will be harder for me to get as much attention from professors and faculty?

Does Wayne have better rotations than OUWB? Dose that really matter?

Thanks for reading

Members don't see this ad.

An anonymous member has told me:

Saw your thread about choosing between Wayne and OUWB. I also got accepted to both and ended up at Oakland.

OUWB's curriculum is really great, and so is Beaumont. Beaumont-RO is the largest hospital in Michigan and consistently back and forth with UM for the top ranked in the state. Troy is #6 in the state. We're in the top ~30 nationally in 9 specialties.

In the interactions I've had with Beaumont doctors both in the classroom and as a patient, they have been incredible clinicians and teachers.I have not heard any complaints from M3s/M4s about the quality of the teaching or anything.

Now for the research. I think it's important to point out that most students do their research at Beaumont, not at OU proper, because most of the pre-clinical faculty's research is focused on community/public health, medical education, etc. which isn't going to draw a ton of funding. (If you're interested in any of those topics, though, it's definitely a perk). Students who want to do bench work or clinical research work with Beaumont doctors, and there seems to be plenty of opportunity there.

Also, just generally, the culture at OUWB and Wayne is very different, which you acknowledged a little in your comment about the class attendance. OUWB is much more active, hands-on learning, which isn't what everybody is looking for. (i.e. if you dont want to come to class, then you can still pass, but you cant make honors).

Thanks anonymous :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they give you some money ? Their match lists are kinda sweet, but I am unsure of what their curriculum looks like.

No they didn't, but to be completely transparent. I am an HPSP, however I feel that even if I didn't get the HPSP scholarship I would still go there, given my options between Wayne, MSU CHM, Western, and OUWB.

Their curriculum is on their website though.

No they didn't, but to be completely transparent. I am an HPSP, however I feel that even if I didn't get the HPSP scholarship I would still go there, given my options between Wayne, MSU CHM, Western, and OUWB.

Their curriculum is on their website though.
Sorry, I forgot. I would go where ever you see yourself being happy. Considering you arent interested in anything super competitive, and that COL is not a concern. OUWB does seem to have a great match list which might be a testament to them doing something right.

Sorry, I forgot. I would go where ever you see yourself being happy. Considering you arent interested in anything super competitive, and that COL is not a concern. OUWB does seem to have a great match list which might be a testament to them doing something right.

Im glad you think so. I was really impressed by second look as well. So how about you libertyyne? Where are you shaking up at?