Wayne vs WMed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subdermallight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was intially thinking Wayne because WMed is still getting established and Wayne’s match list was more impressive.

But then I read this article and now I’m not as sure:

Citing 'incompatible cultures' with DMC, Wayne State medical school to seek other hospital partners

Anyone familiar with how these issues are being addressed currently and if splitting with the DMC will significantly hurt the clinical experience and compettetive residency matches at Wayne?

Members don't see this ad.

Wayne has cut ties with the DMC but I heard it's going to take a couple years for it to come to completion due to transitioning. They also said that during that time, student education wouldn't be affected: WSU, DMC say partnership over

According to Wayne's website, it appears that the university is intending to form a partnership with Henry Ford Health System (some students already rotate to their facilities, but I assume the partnership will lead to some sort of expansion): Henry Ford Health System, Wayne State University sign letter of intent for expansive partnership « News

I'm not an expert on what's going on, but I hope some of that info helps! I'm only an incoming student, so it's probably better to see what other people say to this thread. Current students and faculty will likely have more useful insight about the current situation!

Last edited:
Wayne has cut ties with the DMC but I heard it's going to take a couple years for it to come to completion due to transitioning. They also said that during that time, student education wouldn't be affected: WSU, DMC say partnership over

According to Wayne's website, it appears that the university is intending to form a partnership with Henry Ford Health System (some students already rotate to their facilities, but I assume the partnership will lead to some sort of expansion): Henry Ford Health System, Wayne State University sign letter of intent for expansive partnership « News

I'm not an expert on what's going on, but I hope some of that info helps! I'm only an incoming student, so it's probably better to see what other people say to this thread. Current students and faculty will likely have more useful insight about the current situation!
Thanks for all the great info! What made you decide on Waye?

Wayne hands down.
More established program, midtown Detroit has more for you to do than kalamazoo, the diversity in patient population will provide you with great clinical exposure. The current issues with DMC does not impact students, residents and fellows. Also HF is a great hospital system. Honestly don’t think your residency choices will be limited, historically Wayne students get into great residences.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne hands down.
More established program, midtown Detroit has more for you to do than kalamazoo, the diversity in patient population will provide you with great clinical exposure. The current issues with DMC does not impact students, residents and fellows. Also HF is a great hospital system. Honestly don’t think your residency choices will be limited, historically Wayne students get into great residences.
Thank you! Reading this and from other things I’ve seen, I’m going Wayne over WMed. Appreciate the response

Thanks for all the great info! What made you decide on Waye?

Wayne State is generally considered to be the second best MD school in the state of MI (behind UMich). They’ve been established for a long time and have a large network of physicians in Wayne county and the other surrounding counties. I can’t tell you how many doctors I’ve met that have ties to the school and only have great things to say about it! Not to mention that Detroit is going through an interesting phase. Within the past 5 years or so, there’s been a resurgence. It's definitely the place to be right now.

Wayne hands down.

Second this

Reactions: 2 users