ways to become a peds er doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halodoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The other day I was speaking with a PEDS ER attending who grandfathered into that specialty and he mentioned something about doing peds then doing er and being able to work in a peds er. Is this possible???

I know that there is a 2 year fellowship out of er that lets you do peds er, but i would much prefer to take the pediatrics (3 years) then er (3 years) route.

Any info guys? suggestions?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'll take the bait, although this question (like most) can be easily answered by a search of the forums....

Anyways, you're able to do a fellowship in Peds EM coming from either a peds or EM residency. Like you noted, there are some fellowships that knock off a year for EM trained folks. It's a very competitive fellowship to get from the Peds side, and not so competitive from the EM side. Doing Peds EM will get you a pay raise from the Peds side and a pretty decent pay cut from EM. Good luck, and remember that search option for the future.

I remember reading about this recently..unfortunately I don't remember where... but they gave percentages on how many peds residents got the fellowship and how many EM residents got it. The peds was much higher.. I want to say 80 vs 60%. I suppose my source could be wrong...just putting that out there though. Point is, I'd look into it. Ultimately though, go into whichever field you could see yourself doing if you didn't do peds EM ...would be my advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a way to search within just the Emergency Medicine forum? When I use the general search function I just get a shotgun smattering of junt typically.

when you're logged in, there's a "search this forum" button at the top right of the forum right under the links to each page of the forum.