Ways to fulfill biochem requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtuoso735

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't realize that there were a few DO schools that require biochem. I've already graduated, and am extremely short on money, so I'm looking for the best way to fulfill this requirement. Option 1 for me would be to take biochem at a local community college. However, I'm not sure the course would qualify as a biochem course. This it the course title and description:

Biochemistry for Health Science and Biotechnology
54.00 hrs lecture, 54.00 hrs lab
Units: 4.00
Prerequisite: MATH-151
Accepted For Credit: CSU & UC
This course covers the basic concepts of inorganic and organic
chemistry and biochemistry as they apply to the human body.
It is open to all students; no previous chemistry required. This
course satisfies the requirements of nursing, biotechnology,
and related majors that require one semester of chemistry.

Students preparing to enroll in CHEM-101A should enroll in
CHEM-102. (GR)

*The parts in italics makes me worried that it won't be accepted by DO schools.*

Option 2 would be to take it online. I believe UNE offers an online course, and a few other universities as well. Does anyone know the online course with the cheapest option?

Any other options?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think this is the right course. Usually anything that says "health sciences" and "nursing" aren't correct. The biochem I was told to look for us the one where orgo is required.

I think Michigan state and oakland university in michigan offer online versions. Not sure on tuition. Especially if you are OOS

Yeah, I thought so. The CC course described in my post looks rather...fluffly.

Can anyone recommend an online biochem course with a low tuition? I know UNE has one for ~$1300. Never took an online course before so I don't know if that is reasonably priced.

Members don't see this ad :)
The university of MN offers this course:

BIOC 3021 - Biochemistry
(3.0 cr; =[BIOC 6021]; Prereq-[2331 or CHEM 2301, [BIOL 1002 or BIOL 1009 or BIOL 2003]] or #; fall, spring, summer, every year)
Fundamentals of biochemistry. Structure/function of proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and carbohydrates. Metabolism/regulation of metabolism. Quantitative treatments of chemical equilibria, enzyme catalysis, and bioenergetics. Chemical basis of genetic information flow.

Additional info:

Description: This is a fully online section offered through Online and Distance Learning (ODL), College of Continuing Education. Visit "Class URL" for policy, fee, and financial aid information. This course is a one-semester survey of the fundamentals of biochemistry and is part of the core curriculum required for a Biology major in the College of Biological Sciences. The objective of this course is to provide a foundation for understanding the chemistry of biological systems, i.e., to prepare the student to comprehend the composition of living cells and their physiological processes at the molecular level. Lectures consider the structure and function of proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, and carbohydrates; principles of acid-base equilibria, enzyme catalysis and bioenergetics; fundamental metabolic pathways, and the chemical nature of genetic information storage and expression. The prerequisite reflects the strong emphasis on facility with organic chemistry. This course requires regular study effort on the part of the student. Students who plan to major in biochemistry should enroll in the alternate two-semester series, BioC 4331 and BioC 4332.
Class URL: http://www.cce.umn.edu/odl
Class Time: Online with hand-written exams
Work Load: 4 exams. Students taking BioC 6021 for graduate credit must write a paper in addition to taking the 4 exams.
Grade: All four exams will consist of the same number of points (100 points each) and will be weighted equally in determining the final grade.
Exam Format: In-person, not online, exams
Instructor: Roon,Robert J |

I believe it is probably similar in cost as the UNE course, and all I can say is I know for a fact it doesn't show on a transcript as online... I have taken it, and I had an A- until the final which is multiple choice with ~7 answer options for each question regarding genetics... I ended up with a B overall...

That's not an actual biochem course. That's an intro class, sort of a survey class for non majors like the intro general chem class some colleges offer. A real biochemistry course would be at least 200 level (almost always 300 level because it requires o-chem). I highly doubt schools would count it, but who knows.

The one SBB2016 linked is an example of a real biochem course, it's 300[0] level.

There are a lot of D.O. schools that don't require biochem, so you could always just limit what schools you apply to.

I would check with the corresponding schools that require biochem as a prerequisite. I took biochem at a junior college with a very similar sounding description, and the DO school that I will be attending approved it as being ok. If you're not sure, email an admissions counselor the course description and ask if it would be acceptable. Of course, taking a heartier biochem course may be better for personal enrichment and may also actually help prepare you for school... good luck!

I'm not sure if adcoms see the prereqs for what you took. I think any biochem course will fulfill that need.