General Admissions & OTCAS Ways to help strengthen my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_OT2024

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to this student doctor forum and just wanted to share my stats so far. I also wanted to gain some feedback on how I can help strengthen my application, and what you all are doing as future applicants during this coronavirus era.

GPA: 3.8 pre reqs, (pending anatomy II) ending in the next month, 3.55 overall GPA
Shadowing: 30 hours in peds, 30 hours in SNF
Healthcare Experience: Working as a pain tech with patients 1 year so far, and an administrative internship at SNF (helping CEO do admin duties with all departments, including therapy)

The program I am applying to says that they will let students take a PRE OT course at the university to substitute the lack of shadowing hours due to Covid. However, I still feel like getting as much hours and experience will help me more rather than taking the online course. My fear is that many other applicants most likely have 200+ hours already due to being a rehab aide or PT tech, and I will not stand out in a pool of applicants. I'm scared my internship will barely count - as I help with more administrative duties rather than clinician. I am not licensed to do much but shadow, and their patient census has been down so I only get less than an hour in during a day. I have a few months before applications are due. After completing my last pre req, I wanted to dedicate time to finding more ways to gain shadowing or side projects that will strengthen my application. Has anyone found great ways to make up for the lack of shadowing + volunteer hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmmm I mean I think if that program is your top choice, then just take the course. Most programs I am sure are understanding during this time as this is an unprecedented time.

I see the application process as a balancing act. If you are weaker on one part (GPA, Hours, Experience...) make it up in other ways. For your shadowing, I feel like it is just a way to show schools you are passionate about this field and you know what you are getting yourself into. Your personal statement can make up for your lack of volunteer or hours. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Personal statements can be a big impact as they can show why you are unique and standout. So perhaps spend more time on it and make sure you give it your 100%. I know that helped me as my stats aren't so great. Not to mention the letter of recommendations help as well.

But if you are looking for more hours, perhaps reach out to OTs in clinics or fields you are interest and see if you can tag along on tele-health session? Or reach out to a professor/OTD whose research you are interested in and see if they have any research opportunity and volunteer to help them on their research project? I guess what I am saying is don't be shy and try to just reach out and communicate and see if there is an opportunity.

I can't say for sure but I suspect that many schools see hours as pass or fail. They want you to have the experience to understand what is occupational therapy is. It is more about the quality compared to the quantity. It is about what you get out of the experience. Only you can seek out shadowing opportunities or side projects that are meaningful to you.

Reactions: 1 user