Ways to improve BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vegangirl

DOctor begins with DO
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone:)

I was just looking for advice on how to improve on the bio section. So far I've been listening to the AO and just taking notes from the EK Bio book. But I was wondering what else I should do to really help the info stick especially with the systems stuff. I just finished a cell bio class and happily received an A so I fell okay with that and the organic but I need a little help on learning the endocrine system, immune system, cardio system etc. cuz I haven't had exposure to that stuff in awhile.

Thanks and Cheers:) :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure whether this will calm you or worry you, but you don't need to remember all of the physio stuff. I took the MCAT with only one gen. bio course and O. chem and scored a 14 on the BS section. Practice, practice, practice.

that is exactly the stuff that i don't know, too, and i feel like such a dummy in my kaplan course because it's full of people who've taken all this advanced bio stuff. i hope it's true that you don't need to know the physio stuff. it sort of doesn't make sense for you to have to know it since that's not stuff that's generally covered in general biology courses, at least not in mine which were mainly cell and genetics type of stuff.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but 50% of the Bio coverage in our TPR books is systems! I'm trying to learn them right now, and it is one hell of a pain in the *ss. Just stick to it, read it slowly, and let it digest over time. I'm hoping to avoid ever having to go through these sections again.

Oh, and yes, all of these systems were covered in my general bio courses. Seems odd that they weren't in yours (for the poster above).

Members don't see this ad :)
There really aren't any secret methods to improve your scores. Just get one of those obese MCAT books, carve it up into sections with a pair of scissors, and study away. Take notes, read, and do practice questions. Your scores will go up.

Did anyone use the Soloman text book for Biology when they were going through classes - did you feel it was adequate for MCAT prep. I'm just flipping through the pages and it seems to lack the depth that MCAT seems to need.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
-Y_Marker

Abe said:
i just wanna know what intro to bio class taught all these topics seriously, nothing of this crap was ever discussed in my bio class!

Agreed. Only after having completed my graduate degree in Medical Sciences do I feel confident in my knowledge of MCAT biology!

Guess I was one of the few unlucky ones to have actually suffered through this junk. I remember the exams being essay-based too. Yuck.

I would much rather have to learn it now than have had to do it twice. lol.

The thing I really hated the most about bio in college was the ecology/evolutionary stuff about animals, and especially plants. Talk about boring (no offense if this is anyone's major over here :) ).

Hi Vegangirl,
I feel your pain. Bio can be a very hard thing at times..

What made bio easy for me was foussing on the conceptual learning. Once you start coorrelating stuff then u dont have to remember plus it will be easy to answer passage questions. Try the EK 1001 book. Eg: Why does glucose convert to glycogen... yeah.. because it has to be transported to liver... it doesnt make sense to store it as glucose 'coz then it could be used in other ways.. and plus one thinks of storage as neatly packed (which glycogen is neatly bonded). etc.. so once you start joining the dots then u will enjoy it.. the same applies with systems as well....it will all come naturally. Same will apply to genetics as well..

Hope that helps.
Bye
Amy

I agree with the conceptual approach. The Bio section is all about understanding the concepts and being able to apply them in new situations.

Also, make sure you know the hormones.

When do you actually listen to the audio osmosis cd's?

I have a sweet system for bio, I get almost all of the bio right on all my practice tests (but I still get 11s and 10s on bio sometimes because of orgo scores being low, Im still working on that). Anyways, I just memorized everything in my kaplan review book, and I went over about 5 chapters a day, each day for a while after memorizing all of it (so I wouldn't forget). Now, since its engrained in my mind real good, I just go over a couple each day so that I don't forget and that is plenty. This is definitely a pretty approach, but I think it is worth it for bio, because a lot of bio is just knowing what everything is, not so much figuring stuff out.

BisMuOxo said:
Practice, practice, practice.
Just incase you missed that.... the comment was..

"pratice, pratice, pratice."

My input is that when you are done, pratice some more... ie, problem sets. :eek:

someone asked "when do you have time for the audio osmosis CDs"
I made mp3s of them and put the on my player. That way, they were ALLWAYS with me. When did I have time? In the car, on the way to class, while waiting for someone, while eating, while waiting for a class to start.... the list goes on. I actually justified the mp3 player purchase with this logic :D

Hey,

Like everyone else has said: practice!
I took the MCAT last august, with only gen biol and one ochem course (I didn't take biol. in high school), and suffered on the biol. section (7).

What I have found helpful is animal phys and biochem. That isn't an option now obviously, but the audio osmosis should help. All you can really do now is study and practice. Try your hardest and hope for the best!