Ways to meet new people in a new city?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Many of us will be moving to new cities for residency. Even the social butterflies amongst us are trying to think of ways to meet new people in a new city. Any tips? :D

Members don't see this ad.

I use a method that works great: Find a place in the city where there are people (ie everywhere) and when you are near someone that seems interesting say "hi, how are you?" and then introduce yourself.

Please do not tell anyone my secret.

They're called nurses, and they're everywhere.

Laundromats are way better than nightclubs. If you are female, it cuts the sleaze factor way down, and if you are male...well, if you think she's hot doing her laundry, just imagine when she's cleaned up a bit. ;)

Plus, it's way more fun that watching the clothes go 'round...watching the clothes go 'round...

If you are religious, join a church you like.

I use a method that works great: Find a place in the city where there are people (ie everywhere) and when you are near someone that seems interesting say "hi, how are you?" and then introduce yourself.

Please do not tell anyone my secret.

This is actually quite a creepy thing to do...Just imagine it actually happening...but if it works for you, yay!

I would actually recommend checking out events that force you to be social and meet people. Things like ballroom classes (there are salsa dancing places where you can just go and take lessons on a saturday night and it devolves into a dannce party afterwards). Everyone dances with everyone and learns names and like half the people there are beginners anyways so you wouldn't be self-conscious.

Yes, time is an issue being an intern at all, but you just have to make sure that when you do get that rare friday or saturday night free, go out and try to make friends, espeically at the beginning. Once you're settled in, you'll have a group of close friends that you can count on and scale back to more laid back social activities.

I have found the grocery store to be prime pick-up places - and not just the "gourmet" ones which sometimes even have formal singles events.

Just last night I got a number while conversing with a guy over which ice cream to buy and whether just because it was "two for the price of 1" one should really buy two.:D

This is actually quite a creepy thing to do...Just imagine it actually happening...but if it works for you, yay!

:laugh: I assume your joking. Saying "Hi", starting a conversation, introducing yourself, etc...creepy? I hope this is not your experience. If so, what do you look like?

edit: Oh, I forgot smiling and shaking hands, what's the consensus on that?

Join a sports league...they're all over, with all kinds of sports, and have leagues that can be as fun and relaxed or as competitive as you want...

one organization of several--
http://www.sportandsocialclubs.com/

:laugh: I assume your joking. Saying "Hi", starting a conversation, introducing yourself, etc...creepy? I hope this is not your experience. If so, what do you look like?

edit: Oh, I forgot smiling and shaking hands, what's the consensus on that?

I just meant that I don't think it's possible meet people EVERYWHERE, even in a place like NYC, where I lived for many years. The way you put it, it seemed as if you could be walking down the street and pass by someone who seems interesting, and just stop and introduce yourself and ask "what is your name?" I think that's just a little forward and weird. There is no conversation leading up to an introduction, there is no common ground, and it would seem you just came out of nowhere to the other person. And this has nothing to do with looks, just social grace