Ways to prepare for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wu8313

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now the part of getting into dental school is behind some of us, I want to know what are some ways to prepare myself for the dental school and the long hours. I will be taking a long vacation in summer to relax, but in the mean time, I want to get myself ready for my 20+ credit loads. Should I read gross anatomy books and volunteer more? Should I start getting my body read for 12 hour days by only sleeping 6 hours? I know it sounds crazy but I just want to get into the rhythm of things early. What should I do?

Members don't see this ad.

dont do anything to help prepare for it. If anything I would say to continue to read. read what every you feel like, i.e. fun books. since you wont have time once school starts. other than that do everything you want to do but wont have time for once school starts. learn a new skill, take up a sport, earn some money, sleep, work out.
No need to read anatomy, physiology, etc. because anything you do from now until school starts on your own, it will be useless. you will cover what you tried to study within the first 2 weeks.

Congrats on your acceptance! I agree with Pchemgrad...just relax before school starts! Enjoy that vacation. You'll get used to the work load once it starts and will be fine! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Read, read, read. My classmates seem to know a lot about biology, but they sure are ignorant concerning almost everything beyond dental school. It's nice to have a conversation of substance that doesn't revolve around school sometimes, ya know?

Read, read, read. My classmates seem to know a lot about biology, but they sure are ignorant concerning almost everything beyond dental school. It's nice to have a conversation of substance that doesn't revolve around school sometimes, ya know?

yes!

My roommate said to continue to take classes, he is going to med school, but I have 150 credits under my belt and I am sooooo sick of school/studying/reading. I think I am just going to chill, work out a lot and rediscover my lost hobbies.

Learn how to drink heavily and frequently, enjoy your freedom while it lasts, travel to another country :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Buy teeth anatomy book... Dental school s*cks so bad is it normal to hate it? Job is kinda cool tho.

I'd say use this time to pick up a new language, especially Spanish french or Chinese since there are a lot of immigrants speaking these languages.