Ways to raise BCPM after graduation and already have pre-med requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biophysicsbadass

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
In the case that you want to raise your BCPM but graduated already, what classes should you take (assuming you've taken all the pre-med classes)? I'd like to raise my BCPM, and I don't need a formal post bacc program because my requirements are all done. Has anyone been in this situation, what did you do? Should I retake classes I didn't do so hot in? Or should I take more classes in my weaker subjects? Does anyone have anything to offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Retaking class will help you most if you are interested in DO schools. They actually replace the original score.

Another option might be to look into health related fields such as EMT. You get a twofer here: health care experience and classes that will help your sci gpa. How much help does it need?

lola

I was in the same predicament after graduating college. I spoke to people at various medical schools and with my pre-med advisor. They all made the same recommendations. Even if I were to retake courses, it would not matter much if I did well because I have seen the material before. Instead, I took upper level science courses that I had not taken previously...genetics, anatomy, microbiology, etc. This shows that you can handle the upper level sciences that are even more challenging than the required courses.
Just to let you know, I was accepted into a number of allopathic schools after that and a Masters of Science, so do not give up. The Masters is another thing to look into and those programs are very respected. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
What Tweet wrote is exactly what I would have written had I not been beaten to it.

In terms of retaking classes, the old adage goes that if that is what you decide to do, you'd better make A's! But tweet's advice seems solid...take a bunch of upper level bio courses and jack up the GPA that way.

However, if you find that you've taken all of the upper level courses and your BCPM is still not to your liking, then maybe it would be time to consider retaking that Organic I course you got a C in (or whatever).

I took a combined approach...I retook Organics I and II, Chem I and Physics I while taking Immunology and Animal Phys.

What is your standind after graduation ?Did you declare another major ?The thing is that I am planning to come back next semester although i will be graduating this May , so for financial aid reasons I will declare another major .Is that what you did ?
Good luck!!

Look at programs like the University of Pennsylvania's Post Bac Program which allows students to take upper level science classes in the evenings/late afternoons at a fairly reasonable cost. This way you can work or do research or volunteer/whatever during the day and attend science classes at night. I did this then applied...it was good for me.

[This message has been edited by spacecadet22 (edited April 25, 2001).]

I guess you are not a badass after all huh?

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me

Hey guys,
Thanks for the responses. I am actually a grad student right now in medical physics. I will be terminating at the masters because I decided I want both a PhD and an MD. Anyways, my grad GPA is 3.9 with A+'s (I am a badass after all jalepeno) and I have a strong research background with two very difficult majors in undergrad (physics and physiology), so I have taken science up the butt. For many reasons my first three years weren't so hot, so while I porved myself in undergrad my last two years (deans list and all), overall my undergrad GPA is still in my mind uncompetitive. So I'm using my grad student status to my advantage and taking some upper level biochem and mol bio undergrad classes that interest me but never had time to take. I agree that its better to take classes that interest you over retaking ones you didn't do so hot in. Anyways, thanks again for your responses!

loladoc:

I am curious to know how emt classes will be counted toward a BCPM?

I thought only pre-med req's and upper level science courses count toward the BCPM?

if you were a badass you'd be in med school right now dude.

------------------
I don't follow tha drugz, tha drugz follow me

Hey "Badass",
Aren't you the one who was crying a few months ago about your flop on the mcat? Get off your high horse, dude.

Basic level EMT classes will not be counted toward the BCPM GPA. I don't imagine that paramedic classes will be counted either (unless A&P is taken separately for credit).

Cheers.

This message goes out to Jacky and Jose Jalepeno,
If you don't have anything to offer on the topic of the thread, keep your judgemental nasty comments to yourself. Next time Jacky, get the people who you wish to attack straight, I have never mentioned anything about flopping on the MCAT. Nor do I feel that my response to members who are curious about my situation reflects a "high horse" attitude of any kind. We are all here to support one another and offer experience in similar situations if we have it. I have only very recently been kicking the idea of an MD around (not that mr. jalepeno would know that before contributing so wonderfully to my thread) and have, for the most part, found these forums to be very insightful. I am very grateful to those who have given constructive feedback. I always welcome these kinds of responses, even if they come from jacky or jalepeno. :)

You can take a bunch of easy science classes that are not required. I know a woman who received three C's in chemistry and still had a high science gpa of 3.8. She took a whole bunch of non-required science courses and did well. Even if you already have a bachelor's degree, this will not only raise your science gpa. But, your overall gpa will raise too.

I've heard lots of stories about people including far-fetched "science" courses in the BCPM gpa. However, the AMCAS app. specifies which courses (down to almost precise course titles) may be included. I was surprised that all health professions courses (pharmacy, nursing, EMT, prior MD classes) are NOT included in science GPA. Geology and other natural sciences are also excluded. is this a change?

According to Amcas any course that fits into BCPM is included. For instance, I took a Zoology course and a microbiology course for non-science majors and I was told that these courses will be included under Biology in the BCPM gpa. So, if you were to take a chemistry course for non-science majors, it will be included under chemistry. Obviously, survey general college math and upper division math courses will be included, because they fit under math. For instance, partial differential equations part 1 and 2 (high level math) will go under M in the BCPM gpa. BCPM includes pre-med science req's plus all other sciences that fit under each of these letters.