Ways To Tell You’ve Spent Too Much Time In The ED

About the Ads
D

deleted109597

When your patients start remarking that you look worse than them and do you want a place to sit for a minute.

God I wish my patients offered me a chair. Usually their clothes are in one, their bag is in another, the stool has grandma on it.....

I sit on the stretcher now unless they're covered in something moist.

EM2BE

Elf
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Apr 6, 2006
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      God I wish my patients offered me a chair. Usually their clothes are in one, their bag is in another, the stool has grandma on it.....

I sit on the stretcher now unless they're covered in something moist.

That is only on rare occasion they offer. And only when I'm pretty much coughing in their faces. I can't help it if their remnants of cigarette smoke set me off. :p I think the last time I was offered was almost a year ago. You are right about the rest of the belongings/visitors taking over chairs.

sanityonleave

Adrenaline Junkie
      10+ Year Member
      Sep 16, 2008
      1. Attending Physician
        Nope, Wrote that on a run report. Didn't get in trouble with the QA/QI department.

Never was brave enough to try that one... I'm guessing I would have ended up in some mandatory sensitivity training. That said, I definitely transferred care to the ER one day by (quietly) telling the triage RN that the patient's c/c was "status hispanicus."

I'll add one from my time in EMS -- you've spent too much time in the ED when you consider it acceptable to respond to a coworker's request about how your night is going by threatening to destroy your workplace:

me, calling in a patient from the ambulance: Hey, ***, how are things going over there?
        Charge RN ***: Awful. Terrible. I'm going to firebomb this place and start over.

^ favorite of one of the charge nurses I used to work with. Every time I called and she answered it was some variation on this theme, ha.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.