We All Just Got Rejected By Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dth92

I don't even whatever
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Complete - Additional Application Progress

The Committee on Admissions has completed the formal interview process for this year. Reviews will continue until March 2008 and we will notify you if there is a change in your application status.

ALL FINAL ADMISSIONS DECISIONS WILL BE MADE BY MARCH 30.

NOOOOOOOOOO

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly are they trying to imply? Can't they just say that we're rejected if we didn't get invited to interview? Why do they have to act like there's still some sort of remote chance for those of us that weren't invited?

March 30th? Ouch that is an awful late time in the whole process. Don't they give out their acceptances a few weeks before that? Maybe there is still a chance though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete at Penn in late AUGUST.

Not a single word, till this.

I hate silent schools... what a long, drawn-out dragged-in-the-dirt process

oh crap. mine said they had reviewed my application but deferred an interview decision until yesterday--> gave me tiny amount of hope. boooo! :( *tear*

What exactly are they trying to imply? Can't they just say that we're rejected if we didn't get invited to interview? Why do they have to act like there's still some sort of remote chance for those of us that weren't invited?

Complete - Additional Application Process

We are currently burning the application files of everyone who hasn't been offered an interview to make room for the 2009 cycle. We will continue generating a giant ash pile, composed chiefly of your hopes and dreams, until March 2008. Please check back periodically as there may be some movement on our rejection list, i.e. rejected with sympathy, rejected with prejudice, and just plain rejected.

March 30, 2008

Dear Sucky Applicant,

Penn +1, You 0

Love,

Penn

wow I am furious. I sent Penn my AMCAS app at the beginning of september and I never recieved a secondary app invitation until 2 months later when I recieved a secondary application reminder. Then, I tried to log into the secondary app website only to find out that they hadnt registered me and that there was a problem entering me into the system, so it took an additional 3 weeks to get me into the system. This caused me to pass the final application deadline, which they then extended for me by 2 weeks. So in affect, I send them the secondary app plus the money only to never hear from them again until today when you posted this. I am so p/oed. They had the nerve to allow me to apply just to take my money basically. AHHHHHHH.

Complete - Additional Application Process

We are currently burning the application files of everyone who hasn't been offered an interview to make room for the 2009 cycle. We will continue generating a giant ash pile, composed chiefly of your hopes and dreams, until March 2008. Please check back periodically as there may be some movement on our rejection list, i.e. rejected with sympathy, rejected with prejudice, and just plain rejected.

March 30, 2008

Dear Sucky Applicant,

Penn +1, You 0

Love,

Penn

Lol ah, the sweet sound of closure... thank you :laugh:

Heh, I'm going to be so depressed come March 19th when I get rejected by Penn :( It somehow hurts more post-interview...

About suffering they were never wrong,
The Old Masters: how well they understood
Its human position; how it takes place
While someone else is eating or opening a window or just walking dully
along;
How, when the aged are reverently, passionately waiting
For the miraculous birth, there always must be
Children who did not specially want it to happen, skating
On a pond at the edge of the wood:
They never forgot
That even the dreadful martyrdom must run its course
Anyhow in a corner, some untidy spot
Where the dogs go on with their doggy life and the torturer's horse
Scratches its innocent behind on a tree.
In Breughel's Icarus, for instance: how everything turns away
Quite leisurely from the disaster; the plowman may
Have heard the splash, the forsaken cry,
But for him it was not an important failure; the sun shone
As it had to on the white legs disappearing into the green
Water; and the expensive delicate ship that must have seen
Something amazing, a boy falling out of the sky,
Had somewhere to get to and sailed calmly on.

Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

woo-hooo, now only if Northwestern would deign to reject me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

WB Yeats! Thats one of my favorite quotes. Cool that you know it.

woo-hooo, now only if Northwestern would deign to reject me.

Yeah, Northwestern hasn't gotten around to rejecting me yet either. I wish they would just get it over with so I can cross them off my list.

uhhhh....i'm really confused with Penn State. I get mail from them saying that they are still continuing to review my application or something. This is not a rejection letter however, so I wanted to know what this means? Am I in the "hold" position at Penn for an interview? If so, what does that mean?

The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
Philadelphia, PA
Mean GPA 3.79
Mean MCAT 35 VR 11 PS 12 BS 12
Admissions non-rolling
All final admissions decisions will be made by March 30

That Penn

Not the one where reading skills may be optional
- Quoted from somewhere on SDN

some of us weren't dumb enough to apply to penn
Ahaha, don't rub it in

i'm going to bank on the fact that they'll accept me without interview, despite a 29

ouch, there seems to be a lot of hate against Penn State here. I did not know it was THAT bad of a school: 31P and 3.7 GPA, it MUST be terrible.

Being a Canadian, life isn't that easy getting into US medical schools despite having better academic credentials than what most US schools need.

At this pt, i'll take whatever interviews I can get lol

ouch, there seems to be a lot of hate against Penn State here. I did not know it was THAT bad of a school: 31P and 3.7 GPA, it MUST be terrible.

Being a Canadian, life isn't that easy getting into US medical schools despite having better academic credentials than what most US schools need.

At this pt, i'll take whatever interviews I can get lol
Penn State isn't a bad school. There have been a few times I have questioned why I did not go their for undergrad. I'm over that phase now, thankfully.

...as in ivy...

Not that I'm doing any better (I quit Penn before I was fired...) BUT the Ivy League is an athletic conference. Professional schools, having no NCAA sports teams, are not in the ivy league.

--former ivy leaguer/future proud state schooler

Has anyone got a full out rejection from Penn State or is everyone receiving letters from them saying that their applications are under further review?

Wait, I'm still confused- Sorry if I am slow and am missing something in the original post/comments, but is this for UPenn or Penn State?

Also, OP- where did you read this?

Wait, I'm still confused- Sorry if I am slow and am missing something in the original post/comments, but is this for UPenn or Penn State?

It's for UPenn. And if you log into your application status page, it tells you that all final decisions will be made by march 30th. Bleh.

Ok, so I should have put U Penn in the title

PennMed.jpg

lol Therein lies the greatest frustration of Penn students.

Yeah I got one of those. I'm pretty sure its an informal rejection...

Did we really want to attend a school whose administration lacks the common decency to notify a paying applicant that he/she will not be receiving an interview or acceptance offer? ....

.... probably, yes. But I do like how other schools are kind enough to their applicant pool to let them know where they stand at all times. I mean, I appreciated Hopkins quick decision to throw me into the garbage. At the very least, I know they took some time to consider my app. :cool:

Did we really want to attend a school whose administration lacks the common decency to notify a paying applicant that he/she will not be receiving an interview or acceptance offer? ....

.... probably, yes. But I do like how other schools are kind enough to their applicant pool to let them know where they stand at all times. I mean, I appreciated Hopkins quick decision to throw me into the garbage. At the very least, I know they took some time to consider my app. :cool:

Actually you will get a formal rejection letter later on... at least they have the decency to let you know that they've looked at your application and that you were passed over (rather than waiting forever in silence not knowing if you're still in line or already passed over).

Actually you will get a formal rejection letter later on... at least they have the decency to let you know that they've looked at your application and that you were passed over (rather than waiting forever in silence not knowing if you're still in line or already passed over).

What? You have me all confused. The point is that Penn did NOT have the decency to let us know where we stood. We just wandered around in the dark for 6 months without one word. Formal rejection letters are only useful if we haven't found out through deduction that we are finished. Transparency reflects well on an administration.

Ok, so I should have put U Penn in the title

PennMed.jpg

No you shouldn't. People should just come to realize that Penn = University of Pennsylvania. UPenn sounds silly. "UPenn Med?" Please. :laugh:

I've never heard anyone from Penn State say they go to "Penn full stop."