We already know employers check facebooks before hiring...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayakdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think adcoms ever attempt to pull up a facebook regarding borderline apps? I wouldn't be surprised.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
HA! It finally pays off to not be 'with the times' have have one of those fancy FB accounts!:laugh:

change your name on facebook! Or just deactivate....or make yourself unsearchable.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do visit Facebook. Be sure to clean your profile up!

Privacy Settings :laugh: !? Facebook admitted in the news a few months ago that anything you put on their site is legally theirs and fair game. They sell your info all the time regardless of what your "privacy settings" are. How do you think they are able to target your account with ads? They are in collusion with marketing agencies and anyone else if the price is right.

If you don't have anything to hide on facebook then you shouldn't be worrying about it. I don't have anything on there I wouldn't want my grandmother to see. I hope adcoms would find me on facebook- it would probably only help me out if it was a factor for admission decisions! :)

alright, gunners. All the adcom could possibly see is your profile picture if you have half a brain about using your privacy settings. Calm down, I can assure you that adcoms are not going around trying to buy access to applicants' facebook accounts from Facebook LMAO.

Why would they go to the trouble to do national/international hunts for people in FB (where not much useful information would be gleened) if they dont even do employment background checks or contact the places people list as extracurricules; where they may actully learn useful information about a candidate.

And although FB may target you for adv. that doesnt mean you cannot hide your account from those who search for your name. 1. change your name 2 make sure the email you give them isnt linked to fb 3. make it privite (this means you have to accept somone as a friend in order for them to view your profile, so in this sense it is privite from other users).

you don't even have to change your name all you have to do is go to account>privacy settings>view settings>Turn who can search for you on facebook to Friends of Friends only (unless you have like 2k friends and fear that the adcom's account might be friends with one of them, then just make it Friends only)

Lol I don't even share most of my info with my friends haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Privacy Settings :laugh: !? Facebook admitted in the news a few months ago that anything you put on their site is legally theirs and fair game. They sell your info all the time regardless of what your "privacy settings" are. How do you think they are able to target your account with ads? They are in collusion with marketing agencies and anyone else if the price is right.

"liking" things had nothing to do with your ads either I guess?

And guys common, put your privacy settings on like a smart person...The ADCOMS aren't going to be going to FB to buy your profile info for millions.

You missed the point. Yes we all know FB is data mining us all, but that's what you get for a free service, YOU'RE the product. But I would venture a guess that the dental school adcoms are not who FB is selling our data to.

If you don't have anything to hide on facebook then you shouldn't be worrying about it. I don't have anything on there I wouldn't want my grandmother to see. I hope adcoms would find me on facebook- it would probably only help me out if it was a factor for admission decisions! :)

My 77-year-old mother is on my friends list. That said, I set all my privacy setting so high, you cannot access my profile through Google. I know this because I tried to do it last night.

My mom got on Facebook to keep up with me, my sibs, and her grandkids, and to her surprise got a ton of friend requests from friends and relatives in her age group, along with a lot of invites to play Yoville, Farmville, etc. which she declined.

All old people do on FB is play the games lol

Now I wana throw in the kicker to the thread...

How about making all but ONE album on your facebook hidden to non-friends... in that one album, you could handselect images that show you in a positive light and well-rounded.

Now I wana throw in the kicker to the thread...

How about making all but ONE album on your facebook hidden to non-friends... in that one album, you could handselect images that show you in a positive light and well-rounded.

How disingenuous, you're like CNN, lol

I definitely think that they review FB profiles. Depends on how much effort you want to put into viewing a private profile but there are ways around privacy settings just do some searches online. I spent a good deal of time cleaning my profile before my app was transmitted to the schools and while I was interviewing at DuPont. Also I made sure to go way back on my profile to delete anything that maybe considered inappropriate since you can go back all the way to the day you joined. You really have to be careful what you post online these days because you never know when it may come back to bite you in the @$$.

Lol what exactly are these ways around privacy settings? You'd think if these ways were such common knowledge that adcoms could find out about them and use them we'd have quite a controversy and facebook would be in deep ****... Just ridiculous. You guys need to stop trying to pat yourselves on the back for being so nonconformist and deleting your facebook or taking everything unprofessional off it; it's not going to make any difference at all if you have privacy settings set.

I definitely think that they review FB profiles. Depends on how much effort you want to put into viewing a private profile but there are ways around privacy settings just do some searches online. I spent a good deal of time cleaning my profile before my app was transmitted to the schools and while I was interviewing at DuPont. Also I made sure to go way back on my profile to delete anything that maybe considered inappropriate since you can go back all the way to the day you joined. You really have to be careful what you post online these days because you never know when it may come back to bite you in the @$$.

You're being way too vague here with these alleged ways around FB privacy. Maybe you don't have yours set right but there's no way anyone on FB can find me unless I find them. Though Googling my name will lead to my high school's track & field page where they can see that I won a bunch of medals back in the day, hehe, I think I'll leave that up.

The only things people can see you do on FB if you have your privacy settings set is whatever you put on other peoples pages, or on public pages that you like or something. So don't like a page that says "I LOVE MARIJUANA." etc.. etc...

And really, the ADCOMS aren't going to take that much time to do research on you, cause they don't have that much time.

I know at college orientation they gave us a speech about FB in a powerpoint presentation, and they had pictures of people doing stupid stuff that were students (pictures of people drinking)....The pictures were really pixelated and stretched, so it was obvious they had their profile picture set as themselves drinking or something, but everything else was private.

Lesson of the day: Don't be an idiot. Nothing bad will happen.

Its been a year or so since I have needed or wanted to do it. There are cracks all the time posted you just have to search for whats current, what works or whats been found. FB and Myspace are always updating security but people find holes in the system sometimes. Myspace use to be the worst all you had to do was go to their profile copy the id number out of the URL and then go to your page and paste it in place of your id#. That would work on comments, albums and sometimes profiles. Also if you "like" a particular page, say a school you are interested in the creator of that page can view your profile.

Granted its not always easy but sometimes possible

I think the best advice given was by SeaHawk "Lesson of the day: Don't be an idiot. Nothing bad will happen."

redchesus-gotta-catch-them-all

Last edited:
I don't think admissions officers really have time to try and sneak into your profile and do in-depth research on you online. My advice is just to make sure your profile is private, and you don't have an disturbing/inappropriate pictures of yourself as your main picture and your headline isn't inappropriate. I bet they probably search your name on google, myspace, and facebook to see if they can find anything interesting, but they won't try and hack your profile or anything like that. Definitely find the link for your profile and search it in a new browser to see if its private and what shows up.