We are all going to make it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackyLin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just had a revelation and am calm as rain right now. We are all going to make it everyone! It is going to be an exciting career with so many things to learn and appreciate! "If you want it as much as you want to breath, you're going to make it." Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

what about the people who never make it? Do they also make it?

Lol, I just checked out your profile. 42 MCAT. Of course you are going to make it somewhere...you probably have a higher mcat score than anyone in my class

Members don't see this ad :)
Numbers say otherwise.

80,000 pre-meds took the test last year.
40,000 pre-meds last year didn't even get a 25, which is even below the DO average.

Much easier to be optimistic when you have a 42, buddy

Just had a revelation and am calm as rain right now. We are all going to make it everyone! It is going to be an exciting career with so many things to learn and appreciate! "If you want it as much as you want to breath, you're going to make it." Good luck everyone!

This makes me feel so much better :) I knew my 2.8 and 24 on the MCAT wouldn't hold me back. Dermatology here I come :D

lol, so happy that everyone is hating on the OP despite the positive message. I love this place.

lol, so happy that everyone is hating on the OP despite the positive message. I love this place.

I just think it's easier to be optimistic and cheery when you have great numbers. A lot of "lurkers" and users on this site have terrible stats :(

I speak from experience. My sister has taken the MCAT 6 times and has never hit 20.

I just think it's easier to be optimistic and cheery when you have great numbers. A lot of "lurkers" and users on this site have terrible stats :(

I speak from experience. My sister has taken the MCAT 6 times and has never hit 20.

no no i totally agree. It's usually the people with less to worry about that tell others not to worry.

btw, is your sister still thinking about applying to med school?

I thought they capped it at 3 tries? Or maybe that was when I was applying to school. Or maybe that was never the case...

no no i totally agree. It's usually the people with less to worry about that tell others not to worry.

btw, is your sister still thinking about applying to med school?

I thought they capped it at 3 tries? Or maybe that was when I was applying to school. Or maybe that was never the case...

She's taken it 6 times over the course of 4 years. The most you can take in one year is 3 times, though. She's applying to the Caribbean (despite what I say, what SDN says, and what the rest of the world says). Oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
what about the people who never make it? Do they also make it?

I've always wondered about this...how many people don't make it that are actually 100% committed to becoming a doctor? It seems most people are weeded out when they fully realize just how hard the path of a successful pre-med is. I mean, this path seems to be far more about the sheer amount of work you put in and the determination you have than any natural genius.

She's taken it 6 times over the course of 4 years. The most you can take in one year is 3 times, though. She's applying to the Caribbean (despite what I say, what SDN says, and what the rest of the world says). Oh well

props for the determination. may not bold well for the future exams/boards in medical school unless she can find a way to get over her test anxiety.

I've run into several people like that. There's one guy I know who's top school is Ross, I kid you not. Nothing you can do about it, they've already made up their minds.

I've always wondered about this...how many people don't make it that are actually 100% committed to becoming a doctor? It seems most people are weeded out when they fully realize just how hard the path of a successful pre-med is. I mean, this path seems to be far more about the sheer amount of work you put in and the determination you have than any natural genius.

Considering how many people apply to med school each year, and considering that the rejection rate is 54%, I think it's safe to say that there are many people who are committed but nonetheless fail to make it past admissions.

I just got rejected from my last school today
A-a-am I gonna make it?? ;_;

I agree with OP. Perseverance is key. There has been people who have made it after applying twice.

Just because you dont get accepted the first time around doesnt mean you wont the second or third. Life isnt easy and we all have to work for what we want.. of course some work harder than others.

But if you really want it you will work harder and harder everytime. And one of those times you WILL make it. So for everyone here trying to be negative.. You should probably change that.. its not a good look for a doctor.

Considering how many people apply to med school each year, and considering that the rejection rate is 54%, I think it's safe to say that there are many people who are committed but nonetheless fail to make it past admissions.

How many of those 54% are being realistic?

How many know they should be doing a post-bacc, SMP, or retaking the MCAT? How many are being arrogant and choosing top 20 only? How many apply again next year and get an acceptance? How many aren't willing to go out of the country?

It just seems like there's a lot of people who throw their hats in the ring year after year and hope an EC or a spectacular interview or something pushes them over the edge. Commitment is knowing when you're not ready yet (or being realistic in what you are ready for), and you have more work to do, even if the possibility of luck might make you feel ready. I dunno, I know this is not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't seem as impossible to do as many people make it out to be.

Its really SICKENING how this is supposed to be a SUPPORT forum but a lot of people here are always saying something negative, sarcastic or just plain foolish.

People grow up.

Nope, try realistic.

Think about it.

28 is the average score of applicants, but 25 is the average score of test takers. So a good chunk of pre-meds don't even bother applying, and from the small chunk of pre-meds that do, only 40% of them get in. Not a good number in the end.

Last edited:
How many of those 54% are being realistic?

How many know they should be doing a post-bacc, SMP, or retaking the MCAT? How many are being arrogant and choosing top 20 only? How many apply again next year and get an acceptance? How many aren't willing to go out of the country?

It just seems like there's a lot of people who throw their hats in the ring year after year and hope an EC or a spectacular interview or something pushes them over the edge. Commitment is knowing when you're not ready yet (or being realistic in what you are ready for), and you have more work to do, even if the possibility of luck might make you feel ready. I dunno, I know this is not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it doesn't seem as impossible to do as many people make it out to be.

I like your logic on this.:thumbup:

I'm skeptical that someone stupid enough to make a thread like this could get a 42 on the MCAT.

I'm skeptical that someone stupid enough to make a thread like this could get a 42 on the MCAT.

Well, must say I wasn't expecting this much negativity. Despite what my score shows, I took the MCAT three times also. It's not my first shot either. I got 29 then 33, then decide to take my time to truly evaluate if I want to do this. Then another 7-8 months of study got me that score.

I may have less to worry about in terms of MCAT than others, but by no means worry free. My GPA is below average, no spectacular ECs. I really didn't make this thread to show how little worry I have and how much more others do.

When I say "make it", does not necessary have to mean just getting into a medical school. It's all part of the process. Is your goal in life to get into a medical school, or be able to do what you can do after going to one? It depends on individuals. Many already say MD and DO does not matter in terms of providing primary care. There are many other professions that are in healthcare field. There is no shortage of the different paths you can go through to achieve your goals.

Getting into a medical school is by no means a "be all, end all" point in one's life. When I say we will all make it, I was not referring to getting in MD, or DO, or Caribbean. I was referring to once we know what our hearts desire, and we want it bad enough, we will all find one way or another to reach it. (of course I hope all of us get into either MD or DO, but statistically that's not possible) It's the end that counts. If you can't to MD the first time, try again, then again, if MD is absolutely something you must have to make you happy. Try DO while you are at it, if you think that may work to your end goal. If none of that works, try other healthcare professions. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way. Either through persistence or through some detour, but you can reach your goal. That's a gist of what I was trying to convey, but I guess when you try to throw a jewel into murky water, it's going to get tainted. (at least it's a jewel for me, the idea)

So, say what you want. I am sure those that have their true interest in their heart would not view this negatively, as they would be busy trying to get to where they want to get to, and would welcome any words of encouragement.

@miss chievous, is getting into MD the life goal of your sister? or what she wishes to do after? Are there really no other ways?

I just got rejected from my last school today
A-a-am I gonna make it?? ;_;

Yes, you will make it. Maybe med school, and definitely your life goal if you want it bad enough.

Its really SICKENING how this is supposed to be a SUPPORT forum but a lot of people here are always saying something negative, sarcastic or just plain foolish.

People grow up.
I agree with OP. Perseverance is key. There has been people who have made it after applying twice.

Just because you dont get accepted the first time around doesnt mean you wont the second or third. Life isnt easy and we all have to work for what we want.. of course some work harder than others.

But if you really want it you will work harder and harder everytime. And one of those times you WILL make it. So for everyone here trying to be negative.. You should probably change that.. its not a good look for a doctor.

Thanks for the support guys.

Last edited:

People grow up.

One thing you learn in medicine is that telling people what they want to hear rather than the cold hard truth isn't always the best policy. While you might make someone's day telling them life is all birthday cake and lollipops, you can often save people lots of time and $, and get them refocused on something attainable, by telling them honestly that maybe this isn't going to work out. A lot of people don't "make it". But plenty spend a ton of time and money to go nowhere. Do threads like this, which seem to suggest doubling down, really help them or screw them over worse? Food for thought.

One thing you learn in medicine is that telling people what they want to hear rather than the cold hard truth isn't always the best policy. While you might make someone's day telling them life is all birthday cake and lollipops, you can often save people lots of time and $, and get them refocused on something attainable, by telling them honestly that maybe this isn't going to work out. A lot of people don't "make it". But plenty spend a ton of time and money to go nowhere. Do threads like this, which seem to suggest doubling down, really help them or screw them over worse? Food for thought.

This

Have to say this is a good point. I guess it takes a lot of introspection, whether its about your life goal or getting into medical school. It is important that you pointed out, which I agree with, that not everyone "makes it" to medical school, or to a career of being a physician.

I believe the ambiguity of my original post definitely contributes to the debate and negativity faced here. Those that spent a ton of time and money, do they have their best interest at heart and constantly reevaluate their progress toward their goal? Let's say they do, then disappointing it may be that they realize no matter what they do, they will not get to be a MD. Perhaps they will realize then that they need to take a different path to get to where they want, whether its to provide service to those in distress, or to engage in clinical research to provide new treatments, or many other alluring aspects of being a physician.

Not all of them will but maybe some of them would view their progression as having tried their best, and be able to move on without life regrets. Perhaps they would regret having spent all those time and money if they had known the path to their goals does not lie in MD, but can anyone knows things before doing? We can make probable and educational guesses, but it comes down to personal decision whether to pursue that probability. Others may view the progress as in vain and a waste, but it is still nevertheless a decision exclusive to the individual, and one that is a progress of him realizing his own potential. A medium quality student can know that they have little chance of getting into a top tier, but can we say it's wrong for him to try, if he understands what he is risking? Nobody knows how our lives will turn out, and there shouldn't be wrong answers to how one wishes to live his/her life.

I was unclear but I was not trying to tell others it's all gravy. Rather, I want to be the one supporting those who have made decisions that may not be in favor of the majority, as long as they have received the necessary information from others to be able to make his own decision. Most users here have no problem of telling others the cold hard truth about this occupation, but not many stands behind the informed minority. None of us have rights to decide what is right or wrong for an individual to do with his life. We should be supportive of an individual's decision, as long as we try to ensure he is as informed as possible. It's nice that the latter I already see a lot of here at SDN, but not as much for the former.

Either way, I owe an apology to those who read the first post for not making it clear. I believe you can make it to whatever your heart desires as long as you want it strong enough. This is under the premise that very few of us have our strongest desires in life as having the status of being an MD. I would be surprised if many here have their heart set on the status of "getting into med schoo, being a MD", rather than what they wish to do as an MD. While the specifics may differ, there are many other paths that are crucial to healthcare just like an MD is.

Some nice spirits here. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=1005579

Last edited:
We're all gonna make it brah!!

So many people unaware in this thread lol

:thumbup:

Well, must say I wasn't expecting this much negativity. Despite what my score shows, I took the MCAT three times also. It's not my first shot either. I got 29 then 33, then decide to take my time to truly evaluate if I want to do this. Then another 7-8 months of study got me that score.

I may have less to worry about in terms of MCAT than others, but by no means worry free. My GPA is below average, no spectacular ECs. I really didn't make this thread to show how little worry I have and how much more others do.

When I say "make it", does not necessary have to mean just getting into a medical school. It's all part of the process. Is your goal in life to get into a medical school, or be able to do what you can do after going to one? It depends on individuals. Many already say MD and DO does not matter in terms of providing primary care. There are many other professions that are in healthcare field. There is no shortage of the different paths you can go through to achieve your goals.

Getting into a medical school is by no means a "be all, end all" point in one's life. When I say we will all make it, I was not referring to getting in MD, or DO, or Caribbean. I was referring to once we know what our hearts desire, and we want it bad enough, we will all find one way or another to reach it. (of course I hope all of us get into either MD or DO, but statistically that's not possible) It's the end that counts. If you can't to MD the first time, try again, then again, if MD is absolutely something you must have to make you happy. Try DO while you are at it, if you think that may work to your end goal. If none of that works, try other healthcare professions. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way. Either through persistence or through some detour, but you can reach your goal. That's a gist of what I was trying to convey, but I guess when you try to throw a jewel into murky water, it's going to get tainted. (at least it's a jewel for me, the idea)

So, say what you want. I am sure those that have their true interest in their heart would not view this negatively, as they would be busy trying to get to where they want to get to, and would welcome any words of encouragement.

I'm sorry that my post was so harsh. I don't usually take pleasure in insulting strangers over the internet. It was late at night.

I still think you're wrong. The world is filled with failures. I routinely read that the actual unemployment rate, including people who've stopped looking for work, is in the double digits.

I'm happy for you on your success. Your dramatic improvement on the MCAT shows that you're very good at improving your lot. But people fail all the time, and it's a basic fact of life. The reason I was so mean in my original post was that I thought that by the time someone reached this age (I'm assuming most of us are in our early 20's), they'd have had the life experience to realize that. Think of all the people you know in college who think it's their only goal in life to get drunk and party. I have trouble seeing them being ultra-successful. It happens, but certainly not always, and not even usually.

I'm sorry that my post was so harsh. I don't usually take pleasure in insulting strangers over the internet. It was late at night.

I still think you're wrong. The world is filled with failures. I routinely read that the actual unemployment rate, including people who've stopped looking for work, is in the double digits.

I'm happy for you on your success. Your dramatic improvement on the MCAT shows that you're very good at improving your lot. But people fail all the time, and it's a basic fact of life. The reason I was so mean in my original post was that I thought that by the time someone reached this age (I'm assuming most of us are in our early 20's), they'd have had the life experience to realize that. Think of all the people you know in college who think it's their only goal in life to get drunk and party. I have trouble seeing them being ultra-successful. It happens, but certainly not always, and not even usually.

Unfortunately, you are right.

This makes me feel so much better :) I knew my 2.8 and 24 on the MCAT wouldn't hold me back. Dermatology here I come :D

C's get degrees! 2.8, 24 good to go! I mean if it doesn't work out you could always be a neurosurgeon!

You are right, but I guess I was more referring to this premed community when I posted, with the assumption that most of us here are interested in doing the good a physician can do and not just getting in med school and getting the degree.

To OPie and everyone else:

In addition to your studies, as long as you take a multi and keep lifting heavy, you'll be alright.

Good luck with your medical school goals in 2015

You're exaggerating right? Usually the MCAT can be taken up to 3 times, and by then if your sister couldn't hit a 20.... it's time to choose a different career.

Her loss. She's desperate to the point where she's completely unrealistic. No use in helping her out.

People grow up.

Despite the stellar stats of SDNers, most premeds fail to get into medical school because they collapse in the weed-out courses or get destroyed in the MCAT. Encouragement is good, but when your stats are below the national average.... it's time to be realistic with your goals and choose another profession (and this is precisely the case for many premeds).

Exactly.

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing.

On the one hand, succeeding takes more luck than most are comfortable with:

Luck in having sufficient aptitude.
Luck in having amenable circumstances.
Luck in being able to find out what you genuinely and undoubtedly want to devote your life to (this is incredibly difficult to come by)
Luck in "wanting it badly enough" (last time I checked, nobody 'chose' how badly they want something. Otherwise, everybody would 'choose' to want their goals extremely bad, cuz hey, it improves your chances, eh?)

If you're lucky enough to get enough of those ducks in a row, and life doesn't 'get in the way,' then you've got a fair shot. If you have one too many deficiencies, then you won't.

To say that "we're all going to make it" just brings to mind all those Don Quixotes on American Idol who just "know" they're gonna be the next big thing. It's just self-delusion.

On the other hand, this process is so tough that at times it's a game of inches, and any little zap of reassurance or motivation can potentially tip the scale. So in terms of whether this advice is useful, I guess it all just depends on where you stand.

I have mixed feelings about this whole thing.

On the one hand, succeeding takes more luck than most are comfortable with:

Luck in having sufficient aptitude.
Luck in having amenable circumstances.
Luck in being able to find out what you genuinely and undoubtedly want to devote your life to (this is incredibly difficult to come by)
Luck in "wanting it badly enough" (last time I checked, nobody 'chose' how badly they want something. Otherwise, everybody would 'choose' to want their goals extremely bad, cuz hey, it improves your chances, eh?)

If you're lucky enough to get enough of those ducks in a row, and life doesn't 'get in the way,' then you've got a fair shot. If you have one too many deficiencies, then you won't.

To say that "we're all going to make it" just brings to mind all those Don Quixotes on American Idol who just "know" they're gonna be the next big thing. It's just self-delusion.

On the other hand, this process is so tough that at times it's a game of inches, and any little zap of reassurance or motivation can potentially tip the scale. So in terms of whether this advice is useful, I guess it all just depends on where you stand.

We're all gonna make it brah.

You are right, but I guess I was more referring to this premed community when I posted, with the assumption that most of us here are interested in doing the good a physician can do and not just getting in med school and getting the degree.

alright, I've had fun derailing this thread, but I got to say you probably overestimated SDN's virtue.

Sure, I believe a large number of people who frequent this forum have some desire to serve humanity. But the reason so many are so neurotic about having their ducks in order is because they want to serve humanity as doctors. If people were as determined to help mankind as they portray themselves to be in their personal statements they'd be satisfied in any number of service careers. There is something alluring about the challenge, the prestige, the money, the authority, and the respect that comes with being a doctor.

You're right that most want to do the good a physician does. But they only want to do it AS physicians. Thus, at this stage it is ALL about getting into med school and getting the degree.

I'm not sure if that's true of most people here. It's certainly not true of me. I wouldn't want to be in the health care field if I couldn't be a doctor of some sort. I have too much pride to be a PA and have the word "assistant" in my title for the rest of my life.

alright, I've had fun derailing this thread, but I got to say you probably overestimated SDN's virtue.

Sure, I believe a large number of people who frequent this forum have some desire to serve humanity. But the reason so many are so neurotic about having their ducks in order is because they want to serve humanity as doctors. If people were as determined to help mankind as they portray themselves to be in their personal statements they'd be satisfied in any number of service careers. There is something alluring about the challenge, the prestige, the money, the authority, and the respect that comes with being a doctor.

You're right that most want to do the good a physician does. But they only want to do it AS physicians. Thus, at this stage it is ALL about getting into med school and getting the degree.

I'm not sure if that's true of most people here. It's certainly not true of me. I wouldn't want to be in the health care field if I couldn't be a doctor of some sort. I have too much pride to be a PA and have the word "assistant" in my title for the rest of my life.

So what do these people or you do when MD fails? There's no more point to life?

So what do these people or you do when MD fails? There's no more point to life?

uhh DO school?

When did we ever imply not getting into medical school as the end of the line?

I just surmised that people who want to serve humanity with medical knowledge on this forum want to do so as physicians exclusively. If they don't get in, they can do something unrelated to providing healthcare; you know, like 99% of the human population who aren't doctors.

uhh DO school?

When did we ever imply not getting into medical school as the end of the line?

I just surmised that people who want to serve humanity on this forum want to do so as physicians exclusively. If they don't get in, they do something unrelated to providing healthcare; you know, like 99% of the human population who aren't doctors.

Then did you want it bad enough in the first place?

Thanks for saying DO, it's exactly what I was trying to convey my message, there's more than one way to do what you want to do. But if the pride can limit your goal to be done only as a physician, pride is then at least as important as the thing you want to do, perhaps even more. Then are you really in for the job or in for the title?