we don't need no stinkin' stigmas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillowRose

hot mama-yama
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was supposed to go under Quinn's post in the "stigma" thread, but I can't seem to make my computer *move it*!

Why, Quinn....Perhaps he is off learning to write better English.

DO Stigma--it exists in the minds of a few. Most patients hear that you are a "doctor" and either don't know or don't care which "path" of doctor you are...as long as you can help them.

And to the OP who thinks that patients won't mind that English is not his first language...This depends entirely on where you practice medicine. I know my dear grandfather refused to see a female doctor or a foreign doctor. I myself try to avoid doctors from certain areas because I can't understand them when they speak. Is that racism? Is it "foreign-born" stigma? I don't think so. My daughter is learning English as a second language and I don't understand her either most of the time. When it comes to my health care, I'd rather not translate from broken English to "hillbilly" and back again.

No matter where you go, you will find someone who has some idea about why he doesn't want you for a doctor--whether they have something against DO's or Indians or women or African-Americans. The only way to get past it is to be the best doctor you can be and to be diligent in making sure patients understand you.

A DO I saw a couple of weeks ago was sharing with me that many of his colleagues think if you aren't using OMT on every patient that comes in, you're selling out. He said "If a patient comes in for tonsilitis, they don't want me putting them up on the table and aligning their 'chakras.'" (It was a joke). In 99% of what they do, there is absolutely no difference between the two disciplines and most patients aren't even aware that there is any "controversy" surrounding the two types of training.

Bottom line for the majority of patients--if you're a good doctor, they'll keep coming back.

Willow "stigmas can kiss my butt" Rose :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't you really mean "stimga"? :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Shinken
Didn't you really mean "stimga"? :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I was just about to type the same thing...

I thought I have got over this, however, someone appears wanting more of it. Stigma??? Is it so important to discuss it here? Again???

lealf-ye,

If you had read the first part of my post...my computer had a little problem including it in the original thread. I in no way wanted to encourage you to dive into another thread! Check the time it was posted--far prior to most of the degenerative part of your original post.

To answer the rest of you, I believe the stimga is the female reproductive part of a planet. :)

Will~

Don't bash the females, man.

DOtobe, great minds think alike. ;)

Originally posted by Shinken
DOtobe, great minds think alike. ;)

While telling others about no "stimga", they are strong believers.

If the stigma does not exist, why do many D.O.'s have "Dr. John Doe" written on their coats instead of "John Doe, D.O.?"

You have run into them, I'm sure. The stigma is alive and well.

Originally posted by PublicHealth
If the stigma does not exist, why do many D.O.'s have "Dr. John Doe" written on their coats instead of "John Doe, D.O.?"

You have run into them, I'm sure. The stigma is alive and well.

Do you know you will be persoally attacked by other fellow DOs if you said somthing like this. You are branded "troll".

Be careful when you post here. They will track you down and make sure your school or company will dismiss you.

How??? You email address.

Be aware!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Please say something good about DO and this is a PRE-DO forum. Please!!!! Begging!!!!

Originally posted by lealf-ye
Please say something good about DO and this is a PRE-DO forum. Please!!!! Begging!!!!
]

Sure. I'm glad I'm a DO because I am a physician. The Osteopathic profession gave ME the chance to become a physician, and for that I am thankful.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
]

Sure. I'm glad I'm a DO because I am a physician. The Osteopathic profession gave ME the chance to become a physician, and for that I am thankful.

Q, DO

You are right. Majority of the DOs have a similiar reason.

Keep stimgas alive. Keep them stanky.

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
Keep stimgas alive. Keep them stanky.

This guy is not a DO. What is he doing here???

Originally posted by lealf-ye
This guy is not a DO. What is he doing here???
Yes I'm not a DO and yes I was rejected by TUCOM, so yes I am offically a DO reject. And yes I was once like you lealf-ye(ignoramus). I am a recovering DO basher like yourself, and now have learned the errors of my ways. DO=MD a physician is a physician it doesn't matter what degree you have, but still have an occasional basher relapse every once in a while.:D This is primerly due to being traumtized by my rejection from TUCOM.

Originally posted by Deuce 007 MD
Yes I'm not a DO and yes I was rejected by TUCOM, so yes I am offically a DO reject. And yes I was once like you lealf-ye(ignoramus). I am a recovering DO basher like yourself, and now have learned the errors of my ways. DO=MD a physician is a physician it doesn't matter what degree you have, but still have an occasional basher relapse every once in a while.:D This is primerly due to being traumtized by my rejection from TUCOM.

The trauma looks serious. DOs here will help to heal it.:) :) :)

lealf-ye,

I'm am *SO* confused about what your point is. PLEASE take a few minutes and clarify it for me?