We have an opioid epidemic yet non doctors can write schedule 2 narcotics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Socrates25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out the cast of characters who are allowed to write schedule II narcotics in various states:

NPs, PAs, naturopaths, homeopaths, pharmacists, psychologists, paramedics, optometrists

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugreg/practioners/mlp_by_state.pdf

Meanwhile, physicians are regularly criticized for not exercising proper control over opioids, there's even talk about making MDs take extra training before writing schedule IIs. Yet in all this farce, we let everybody and their brother write for oxycontin.

What a joke!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
NPs might not be doctors but they are quite qualified. Relax. The other ones, heh, heh, oh god. And i thought only a few states allowed psychologists to prescribe any kind of med.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are psychologists qualified to prescribe and monitor any meds?

Psychologists have prescribing rights in 2, maybe mow 3, states- after additional training. I know this came about due to scarcity of doctors in areas. I believe it's Arizona, maybe, Louisiana, and possibly now another state

Clinical pharmacists can prescribe only in VA hospital systems. This requires a 2 year specialized residency after pharmD.

I didn't think any of the above could write C IIs, but only things lower.

WTF...why would homeopaths/naturopaths be writing scripts?? Isn't that contradictory??

Well it's not like they would write any scripts, I mean if you've ever pulled ER duty you know everyone is allergic to Percocet and can only have dilaudid or the fentynal lollipops! :whistle:

I assume you're offended by this because you perceive it as a threat to the physicians' status. That's pomp, not science. You're on the wrong track if you believe in drug prohibition at all.

I assume you're offended by this because you perceive it as a threat to the physicians' status. That's pomp, not science. You're on the wrong track if you believe in drug prohibition at all.
Who are you referring to that's offended, you mean OP? I'm just clarifying

this can't be real.....amb service writing for narcs?

"Writing for" as in sending a patient home with a 90 day rx? No.

But in some places they may have autonomy to administer limited quantities in the field during transport to definitive care. I'm going to say that they aren't a significant source of diversion. Except for when their drugs get stolen.

Reactions: 1 user