Status
MD/PhD Student
^ Quote from an interviewer.

Discuss.

nonesuchgirl

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
Well, there goes most of pre-allo's hopes.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
:bullcrap:

:banana:

jamaicandoc

10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
just as long as you don't drool and speak in complete sentences your patient will know you are a competent physican....

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
*Fart, sniff, Burp!*

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Does anyone else find threads like this really obnoxious? "People who apply to medical school should have good grades, a good MCAT score, and good EC's. Discuss." "The sky is blue. Discuss." I mean, if there is something that needs discussing shouldn't the OP be doing just that, rather than issuing a command to everyone else? If there's an opinion to be had, then have an opinion for goodness sakes!
:boom:

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone else find threads like this really obnoxious? "People who apply to medical school should have good grades, a good MCAT score, and good EC's. Discuss." "The sky is blue. Discuss." I mean, if there is something that needs discussing shouldn't the OP be doing just that, rather than issuing a command to everyone else? If there's an opinion to be had, then have an opinion for goodness sakes!
:boom:
Hmmm. yeah they should have an opinion

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Depends on the school. Some invite people they pretty much want to accept. Other invite way more.

lisichka

certified demonologist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2006
Status
Depends on the school. Some invite people they pretty much want to accept. Other invite way more.
i mistakenly read it...as
Some invite DROOLERS they pretty much want to accept.

:scared::scared::scared: with all these weird threads lately, i am going nuts

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Hmmm..Yes it seems like the interview probably plays a big role at some schools but little role at others...So what are we discussing again?

Medicalhopeful

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Wow, sounds like my thread :laugh: :thumbdown:

Textuality

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Medical Student
It's not so much that they don't matter, it's just really hard to make it SO good that you stand out from all the other people interviewed. I think most people get good-great ratings on the number scale, so unless you bonded so much with your interviewer that he/she describes you as a demi-god, and threatens to quit if they don't accept you, then yeah, you've probably interviewed as well as the other 3/4 of the people.

eikenhein

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
What's wrong with drooling?

Aidan

Res Ipsa Loquitur
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
^ Quote from an interviewer.

Discuss.
There needs to be a comma before the coordinating conjunction "and" to seperate the two dependent clauses. :rolleyes: jk

The interviewer sounds like a crock.

Bananas Foster

Eats Whole Pies
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Paraphrased quote from my MN interview

"Look, I don't get to see your MCAT or GPA, but judging from the rest of your application and our discussion today it seems like you'll be having a good time med school this time next year, hopefully its here."

4 months later, rejection!

Your interviewer is likely a very nice person and probably very accomplished, but take their insight on the admission process with a grain of salt.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Lets keep it civil, folks.

Bartelby

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Not true. Just look at the numbers. Many schools (including the very best in the country) invite something like 800 people to interview and accept only about 200 of them. Do you really think that all 600 of those people who were rejected who are highly accomplished enough on paper to make it to the interview were awkward morons? The importance of the interview is debatable, but I assure you you need more than complete sentences to get an acceptance post-interview.

BMBPSU2008

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2007
New Jersey
Status
Medical Student
<--- RickRoll'D

Rick Astley 2

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Status
Academic Administration
Not true. Just look at the numbers. Many schools (including the very best in the country) invite something like 800 people to interview and accept only about 200 of them. Do you really think that all 600 of those people who were rejected who are highly accomplished enough on paper to make it to the interview were awkward morons? The importance of the interview is debatable, but I assure you you need more than complete sentences to get an acceptance post-interview.
You've just been Rick Rolled.

http://yougotrickrolled.com/

Thanks buddy, but I didn't drool at any of my interviews and I still got 3 WL.
You guys aren't serious, are you? Just because people get rejected post-interview doesn't mean they interviewed poorly. The point of the quote wasn't that the interview is easy, it's that it doesn't really matter unless you do spectacularly well or awful. Some people say adcoms have made up their minds before the interview, but use it to screen for bad candidates with good grades.

So if you interviewed well and got waitlisted, you were probably behind in points to begin with. People think that when the interviews start there is a level playing field, apparently not the case according to that quoted interviewer.

Bananas Foster

Eats Whole Pies
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
its always intriguing when someone suddenly gets banned... i guess I assume it could've been PM abuse.