"weak" undergrad major: "strengthen" with legit minor or focus elsewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scean

whats a goon to a goblin?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at somewhat of a crossroads. I am an exercise science major because that’s what I enjoy, I'm a cpt, love studying the body, muscles, how it all works etc. My main objective is medicine of course and given that at my school (UGA) the exercise science program is a B.S.Ed. degree, maybe it is everywhere I haven’t really checked, I thought maybe a cellular biology minor would strengthen my academic background. I would only need a few more classes. Its essentially 14-15ish hour vs. 17ish hour semesters the rest of the way, but that’s time I could well spend ensuring a solid gpa and good ECs. Just curious what the general opinion would be.

I did search minors on here but didn’t find much.

also, do you think being a cpt (certified personal trainer) is a good EC, I kinda have a choice of whether or not to devote alot of time to it but i see it as a good experience with clients/"paitents" helping them improve their quality of life etc etc.

Members don't see this ad.

:laugh: From what I hear (from a buddy of mine who has a master's in exercise physiology) UGA has a pretty good ES program (according to Tim it's one of the best in the country). I don't think you should worry about a "weak" major. Med schools don't care what you major in......

also, do you think being a cpt (certified personal trainer) is a good EC, I kinda have a choice of whether or not to devote alot of time to it but i see it as a good experience with clients/"paitents" helping them improve their quality of life etc etc.

I talked about this in my PS, and a great deal at every interview. Being a personal trainer (a good one) means that you can work with different types of people and can accomodate for different needs. Shows that you (hopefully) enjoy helping others achieve their goals. Shows that you have basic knowledge of muscle anatomy and nutrition.

Definitely a good extracurricular... Probably my strongest one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps think about either double majoring or at the very least minoring in Neuroscience or Molecular Bio or Biochem. As you indeed predicted it will make your application both stronger and filled up.:thumbup:

The MCAT has gotten heavier on the genetics-type stuff, so I would have a hard time disagreeing with your premise.

I wouldn't worry about major/minor selection. Just know that the MCAT will be the first thing that adcoms look at.

Man, I miss the little guy. Wonder who he's lurking around here as now?

:laugh: good Q! FYI I am not my old self, but I haven't run across a new Genetics either. :D

His interest in genetic counseling would have definitely gotten him a 15 on the biological section of the MCAT.

OP, have you considered genetic counseling as a career?

which is like being a Genetisist without all the hard work and responsibility

....or the pay.

thanks for the replies, im still not completely sure but ive got some time to weigh it all out