Wearing contact lenses while in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BionicOne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am about purchase a year's worth of supply of contact lenses and I was wondering if I will be able to wear them during med school (I will start med school this Fall). Your advice would be great. Thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeaaaah!

Yes you can, I do and there are less problems.

Although I would recommend glasses in anatomy class if you have preserved specimens. It can burn in your eyes a little bit extra with lenses, the formaline is not a funny thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to be mean or anything (not my kind of thing), but really, is med school such a different life experience from anything else on Earth ? I don't know, it's been almost 3 years now and I can't say my ''non-academic'' life has changed. I mean, it's not like I stopped eating soup and biscuits because of med school.

Seriously...

Not trying to be mean or anything (not my kind of thing), but really, is med school such a different life experience from anything else on Earth ? I don't know, it's been almost 3 years now and I can't say my ''non-academic'' life has changed. I mean, it's not like I stopped eating soup and biscuits because of med school.

Seriously...

It is a different world!! But you will always have certain unconscientious, superficial, "legend in their own mind" specimens telling you its a piece of cake!

As far as the contact lens: Id say depending on thecity smog, dust, pollution, and unseen toxins try to the give the eyes air at least 40% of the time..

Why wouldn't you be able to wear contact lenses? :confused:

that's nothing. in my school we can't wear underwear...

better start getting used to it by going commando NOW! :rolleyes:

Everyone is discounting this dude's question where I think its a fair one. Honestly, I started out the year in contacts and switched to glasses the second week. I was spending ~10 hours at the school and most of the time was reading from a computer screen. It was exhausting for my eyes and the contacts made it worse.
Now to a person who does most of their studying at home and can easily take out their contacts when they start bothering their eyes, then contacts are perfectly fine.

Im not sure either, I think this is the time of the year when the premed paranoia starts kicking in for a lot of people lol. But do whatever works for you. If you know that studying long hours is aggravated by wearing contacts for long periods of time, wear contacts to class and switch over to glasses (just have a portable unit to carry them in). You probably know yourself better than anyone else. Don't be so paranoid and take it easy lol- it's med school not flying over to fight an intergalactic war :rolleyes:

Yes wear contacts. Get a good pair of glasses too. Don't stress over these things too much, but yes, take care of these little things now as they can add up to be headaches later. However, WHEN to get them is important. If you are still on your parent's insurance or have good insurance from a significant other or whatnot, then definately get them now. Otherwise, you may be surprised with how decent some med school insurance is, so check it out.

Sorry to go a little off subject, but IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE AN OUT OF STATE STUDENT IN OHIO, and other state schools for that matter, look into the school's policy of becoming an independent. In Ohio, you must have your own insurance unless you are married to be considered an independent. If you stay on your parent's insurance (yes some allow even professional students to stay on their parent's insurance), then you are not independent, and may put in state residency status (and in state tuition for years 2-4) in jeopardy.

I basically went to the dentist to make sure every thing was cool, didn't need any root canal's done or anything and went to get a good pair of glasses and 1 years worth of contacts on my parent's insurance before I went to med school and took their decent, but definatly lesser insurance to ensure in state residency.

good luck.
sscooterguy

It is a different world!! But you will always have certain unconscientious, superficial, "legend in their own mind" specimens telling you its a piece of cake!
Different world ? Yea, like every field out there. I don't buy the ''you're a med student, you're so special'' attitude, but that's just me.

A legend in his own mind :D

Everyone is discounting this dude's question where I think its a fair one. Honestly, I started out the year in contacts and switched to glasses the second week. I was spending ~10 hours at the school and most of the time was reading from a computer screen. It was exhausting for my eyes and the contacts made it worse.
Now to a person who does most of their studying at home and can easily take out their contacts when they start bothering their eyes, then contacts are perfectly fine.

All you need is a good optometrist, who will probably recommend monthly long wear disposables based on your daily activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because of the increased risk of ocular Pseudomonas infection.

Med school is a totally different planet. I went from being a very nice person to extremely sarcastic.

:confused: :confused:

I think if one practices good "eye hygiene" and washes hands after seeing patients, he/she should be fine. Don't wear contacts overnight if they're only meant to be worn daily. Clean them daily and throw the solution away in the lens case daily. All this is common sense and should prevent infection.

Oh, I loved all things neuro. I'd consider becoming a neurologist except I don't want to diagnose and say adios :(

At my school neuroanatomy wasn't too intelligible, so I have no basis for understanding why when things go wrong the reason for it. Makes it a little difficult. The basic concepts I find fascinating. =)

I think the reason the OP might have asked is that contacts are inappropriate in environments where certain occupational exposures may occur. I'm not sure whether the preservatives used for cadavers fall into this catagory; I know our school "required" eye protection (although no one actually did this). I'm not sure whether transmissability of blood born diseases is increased for mucosal membrane contact if contacts are in place. I'd ask occupational health at the hospital to which you are assigned, or the course director for any course with a laboratory component if you're worried.

That said, many physicians wear contacts on a regular basis.

Another thing probalby worth pointing out is that if you are required to wear "eye protection", your glasses aren't going to cut it. When scrubbing in on a Hep C positive patient's case, be sure to wear goggles or a face mask! And by extrapolation, that's the eye protection you should be wearing with anyone when doing a procedure where blood/body fluids might fly.

Best,
Anka

Different world ? Yea, like every field out there. I don't buy the ''you're a med student, you're so special'' attitude, but that's just me.

A legend in his own mind :D

Yes, this is partially what Im talking about.. If it wasnt so special many would do it instead of a small amount..
Also thats just it, the med student in the heirachy of academic medicine-eg. from 1st year med student to profound neurosurgeon is considered below, yes below pound scum. Above that of course is algae, and one celled organisms, on up, etc. At least once you do 1 month of internship you can say you ARE pond scum. [I heard this gradation from a 1st year surgical intern]

Hey guys,
I am about purchase a year's worth of supply of contact lenses and I was wondering if I will be able to wear them during med school (I will start med school this Fall). Your advice would be great. Thanx.

I'd recommend buying 6 months of lenses. I found that I wear my glasses more in med school than I did previously. My eyes get dry if I leave my contacts in too long. Maybe you don't have this problem. Another point- some folks in my anatomy lab were griping about the chemicals causing eye irritation with contacts. Our school recommends that you don't wear contacts in lab.

don't get the contacts... you should get a nice designer pair of dark framed eye-glasses in order to make you look more mature and older

asking people on SDN about wearing contacts or not is worthless... everyone is different... i wear my 2-wk disposables 6 days a week and i wear glasses for the other day... stay with your routine, or ask your mom for advice

get the contacts and bring your glasses with you along with your contacts case and solution. You can see much better with contacts but when your eyes get tired and or you are in anatomy lab just bring your stuff with you where ever you go so you can take a pit stop in a bathroom and switch. No big deal.

I wear my contact lenses all the time, I did even during anatomy lab, which didnt turn out to be the wisest thing...I was working on the face trying to expose the facial nerves (HUGE pain by the way) and ended up flicking a chunk of fat into my eye! Yeah not the coolest thing...and me being me I walked around holding my eye open and showing everyone the piece of adipose tissue that lay on my lens...im so mature...:laugh:

I wore my contacts all during first year. This year i have to go back and forth between glasses and contacts because of serious dry eye issues that were made worse by long hours of studying. I am planning on getting corrective eye surgery in the next year or so since i am not a big glasses fan. So yes you can do just fine with contacts though you may not want to wear them long hours if you can avoid it.

Hey guys,
Yeah, you can wear them. I wear mine to anatomy lab and have no problems. But you should wear goggles in lab so that you avoid MSKalltheway's fate. :laugh:

Although I would recommend glasses in anatomy class if you have preserved specimens. It can burn in your eyes a little bit extra with lenses, the formaline is not a funny thing.
If your anatomy lab is good ol' fashioned tanks, though, I'd recommend against glasses. Anything that drops in the tank is pretty much gone forever!

I've been wearing soft contacts, it's been fine. A good pair of glasses to wear on long days/late nights has also been helpful.

I work as a contract dissector for a medical school and put in 30ish hours a week dissecting small stuff (so I tend to work very closely to the cadavers), i wear contacts exclusively and have not had any problems in the last 3 years of doing this.

Like everyone's said...we're all different, so just see what works

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I wear contacts exclusively all the time I'm in school. Granted when I get home in the evening, I take them out and give my eyes a rest until the next morning. I also take meticulous care in cleaning them and wear them only as long as you are supposed to (per pair, 2 weeks). I use acuvue advance...they're more expensive but ever since I switched to these like 2 years ago I never again had probs. with dry eyes. Awesome stuff. In anatomy I actually think the contacts protected my eyes, seeing as how everyone around me was complaining of burning and I felt nothing.

In anatomy I actually think the contacts protected my eyes, seeing as how everyone around me was complaining of burning and I felt nothing.

Actually for me too, its kind of funny, because on days I wore my contacts there was no burning or dryness or anything. But when I wore my glasses (days I was just too lazy to put in my contacts) they would be burning like crazy, esp those lovely times when you'd have to take a closer look :rolleyes:

True, great for protecting you from the burn of the formalin, but not so good for flying body parts lol

Actually for me too, its kind of funny, because on days I wore my contacts there was no burning or dryness or anything. But when I wore my glasses (days I was just too lazy to put in my contacts) they would be burning like crazy, esp those lovely times when you'd have to take a closer look :rolleyes:

True, great for protecting you from the burn of the formalin, but not so good for flying body parts lol

I experience the opposite actually. But I guess I'm not observant enough. I think it's because of the dry air in the lab and lecture rooms.
This has to mean that I'm special...with magnificent powers...I am a freak!

acanthamoeba

i sure hope you come back to this thread one month after anatomy starts
its funny how our worries change

Update:
I'm an M2 and have been wearing glasses all year, getting great grades on everything. Well, this week I started wearing contacts and on the second day of wearing them I had my lowest score on a path exam by 10 percentage points.

Conclusion:
You can't wear contacts in medical school.

Update:
I'm an M2 and have been wearing glasses all year, getting great grades on everything. Well, this week I started wearing contacts and on the second day of wearing them I had my lowest score on a path exam by 10 percentage points.

Conclusion:
You can't wear contacts in medical school.

I've never worn contacts, but I did start wearing glasses this year, and my grades have gone up significantly. Therefore, glasses make you smarter.

I've never worn contacts, but I did start wearing glasses this year, and my grades have gone up significantly. Therefore, glasses make you smarter.

So I did waste all that money on 4 boxes of contacts! I can't even wear them if I want to have any chance of passing the boards. Oh nooooossss!!11!one1!11!

So I did waste all that money on 4 boxes of contacts! I can't even wear them if I want to have any chance of passing the boards. Oh nooooossss!!11!one1!11!

You'll probably be fine if you slowly stop using them. You don't want to stop immediately. You might have withdrawal syndrome.

Because of the increased risk of ocular Pseudomonas infection.

Med school is a totally different planet. I went from being a very nice person to extremely sarcastic.

Enough, enough, you're killin' us here.

I would wear glasses, but they make me look uglier. :'(

What about Lasik? I have awful vision and have been considering getting it soon but am afraid of the (very small) chance of a bad procedure. has anyone had Lasik?

What about Lasik? I have awful vision and have been considering getting it soon but am afraid of the (very small) chance of a bad procedure. has anyone had Lasik?
I've almost had it, but was too chicken to go through with it. I know someone, personally, who had botched LASIK (he described everything he saw as looking through a pane of glass covered with milk.) I'm waiting for things to settle down and for them to stop inventing new, better lasers every year before I take the plunge. Contacts don't bother me that much. Then again, I know 2 or 3 other people who had LASIK, and it turned out perfectly (they claim that they don't have halos or anything like that.)

My husband works with a group of Ophthalmologists as a technician. There company said that they will give LASIK to family members and employees at a dramatically reduced rate. I considered it and my husband (very firmly) talked me out of it. He doesn't think its worth the risk, especially since the affects are short lived (vision will get worse as time goes on). Then again, hes a tech and not a physician.... I'll wait until I learn more about it before I make a decision on its worthiness.

at our school it's offered at a dramatically discounted rate (70-80% off) if u let the fellows do it...

i've heard that's not that uncommon

then again...four years of medical school and four years of college loans to be paid off and then i could end up with milk-glass windows? goodbye surgery, hello librarian

debt for life? no thanks

at our school it's offered at a dramatically discounted rate (70-80% off) if u let the fellows do it...

i've heard that's not that uncommon

then again...four years of medical school and four years of college loans to be paid off and then i could end up with milk-glass windows? goodbye surgery, hello librarian

debt for life? no thanks
Just to clarify and to be fair, actually, my friend was able to get his botched LASIK "corrected" so that his vision wasn't permanently cloudy anymore, but things were never made quite right.

I totally agree with the point that you are making -- The way I look at it: Although the probability of things going wrong is relatively low, the consequences can be enormous and life-altering. That's why I chickened out and didn't follow through with my LASIK (I had the appointment and everything....)