Wearing Medical School Apparels

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capt34500

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your opinions on wearing medical school apparels during undergrads? Like I was walking around my campus (Not Harvard) and saw a freshman wearing a Harvard Medical School sweater with a Harvard sweatpants. It seems really pretentious/obnoxious...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
if you are not in that school, you shouldn't be wearing their gear.
i kind of feel the same about people who make their usernames "Dr--whatever" when they are still pre-meds. Seems a bit presumptuous. But hey, to each his own.

Reactions: 23 users
I don't know other people see this, but I agree with your interpretation. If it is your institution or that person had an internship at that school then I think it's a little different, but even though I had an internship within a branch of Duke Med's research departments I still refrained from buying a Duke Med shirt and bought a Duke Health shirt instead. In reality it doesn't matter at all, it just means it's their "dream school" or whatever, but I think it's a little annoying.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Schools give medical school apparel away during your interviews. Can't turn down free things!

Reactions: 7 users
Ugh SDN. This topic is so petty. Who cares what a person chooses to wear?

Reactions: 21 users
It's just a hoodie and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Reactions: 6 users

Why? It's just clothing. They could just be borrowing their sibling's sweater or something, it's only obnoxious if you talk to them and they really are wearing it as some sort of statement about where they think they're going. If they haven't made a claim like that I wouldn't give it a second thought, which is the same amount of thought I give any other piece of clothing.

Reactions: 10 users
could be worse. like lab-coat embroidered with "John Smith - Pre-medical Student" worse.

honestly who cares? if they're decked out in hahvadd gear and haven't gotten in, or were rejected, they're the ones who will be squirming when someone asks "wow! you got into hahvahd?"

Last edited:
could be worse.

like lab-coat embroidered with "John Smith - Pre-medical Student" worse.

Then later that evening they post on facebook

3716012.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your opinions on wearing medical school apparels during undergrads? Like I was walking around my campus (Not Harvard) and saw a freshman wearing a Harvard Medical School sweater with a Harvard sweatpants. It seems really pretentious/obnoxious...

:barf:

Why? It's just clothing. They could just be borrowing their sibling's sweater or something, it's only obnoxious if you talk to them and they really are wearing it as some sort of statement about where they think they're going. If they haven't made a claim like that I wouldn't give it a second thought, which is the same amount of thought I give any other piece of clothing.

hey, OP asked for opinions and i gave mine. i don't care personally, but think it is implied that if you're wearing school paraphernalia, you go to that school. and if you aren't, then it's pretentious, provided, as you said, if it's worn as a statement about where you think you will go or just to pick up chicks. i lived in massachusetts for a time and Harvard T shirts are a dime a dozen--- there is no way that there are that many HMS students walking around...

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly, if i get the acceptance i'm hoping for, i'm gonna buy their hoodie. I'm even gonna buy a few of their coffee mugs to give to my mentors/letter writers as a small thank you.

In this specific example, it is the only appropriate manner by which to give a professor "the D".

Reactions: 2 users
I worked at UT Southwestern for several months and still wear a shirt I got while I was there. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this scenario.

Reactions: 4 users
could be worse. like lab-coat embroidered with "John Smith - Pre-medical Student" worse.

honestly who cares? if they're decked out in hahvadd gear and haven't gotten in, or were rejected, they're the ones who will be squirming when someone asks "wow! you got into hahvahd?"
A kid in one of my math classes wears a lab-coat to class pretty often. And there is no lab attached to the class.

Reactions: 10 users
It would be cheaper and easier to simply carry around a sign saying "Pre-med!!!!!"

This is not as bad as the UGs who wear scrubs, or worse, white coats and stethoscopes.

Reactions: 4 users
I think if you go there or if you work there- I got free patagonia stuff with the logo of the med school I work at but I don't go there!

meh, i got a bunch of college hand me down stuff from cousins. Schools I'd never gone to. Never thought twice about it. They were soft, comfortable sweatshirts.

I do agree if you're wearing scrubs and a lab coat around with no practical reason to do so, that's kinda bad.

You have to be careful making assumptions there, too, though. I heard someone snicker at someone wearing scrubs once for that reason, but I knew they worked in a clinical setting and got done right before class and didn't always have time to change.

Best not to make assumptions.

I bought a t shirt at every school I interviewed at for med school... the only one I didn't (because I couldn't find the bookstore on time) was the one I ended up attending. Hell, I still own a University of Wisconsin sweatshirt from when I visited the school as a high school senior, and I've only set foot in the state of Wisconsin 5 times in my entire life despite living an hour from the state border.

/The biggest travesty is being a fan of a D-1 football program of a school that you didn't actually attend as an undergrad. Looking your way, Michigan...

I work at a teaching hospital here in the northeast and everyone and their mother has a patagonia fleece. The med student and resident has their name and class embroidery, while everyone else has the vest. Nobody wear lab coats anymore.

Don’t do it unless you’re accepted and 100% certain you will attend that school. The exception is if your sibling or parent attended/attends that school.

While most people won’t care, you never know when someone who does is lurking.

Don’t do it unless you’re accepted and 100% certain you will attend that school. The exception is if your sibling or parent attended/attends that school.

Very true. But how will you know if that lurker will fully investigate the academic affiliations of your family? What if they get the wrong idea and go scurrying back to Yale to warn the dean for when you apply?! :nailbiting:

I guess you could make it an addendum in your secondary essays...

I don't know if this is a state school thing, but I constantly see people wearing gear from other schools. I myself have a UMichigan sweater that I wear a lot because my dad's side of the family is from near Ann Arbor.

I couldn't care less about what others wear.

i kind of feel the same about people who make their usernames "Dr--whatever" when they are still pre-meds. Seems a bit presumptuous. But hey, to each his own.

Considering that these usernames are made to protect identity and remain anonymous, I don't think they should be considered presumptuous.....obviously, my opinion may be biased

It would be cheaper and easier to simply carry around a sign saying "Pre-med!!!!!"

This is not as bad as the UGs who wear scrubs, or worse, white coats and stethoscopes.

The worst I've heard from a thread on here a while back was some kid who went to the first week of bio lab freshman year with a white coat that had stitched in "First Name Last Name, Pre-Med"

I bought a "Harvard Dad" shirt and wear it around my campus (not Harvard) because I think it's hilarious.

Why worry about what other people are wearing? You do you.

Idk I have no problem with people who wear their interview trail swag. Other than that it seems kind dumb to me. It’s not like wearing another college’s clothing in UG because most those students are just fans of a sports team

lol @ the people saying "worry about yourself" as if you wouldn't turn around and complain about someone doing something you thought was stupid/annoying in a second. Dismount thine tall steed, sir/madams.

It's a forum. While there are serious topics discussed here its also a place to relax, make fun and shoot the ****.

Ruhlax.

I have a Hogwarts Hufflepuff scarf I wear when it gets cold. Obviously not medical school, but I am just as likely to get an acceptance there as I am to Harvard, and I'd wear Harvard apparel also. Call me pretentious/obnoxious/annoying all you want, I won't cry. ;)

I wore a Michigan sweater for many years just because I liked the colors. I intend to wear my home hockey team gear when I visit Canada this Spring, and I hope it starts a conversation when I get a beer at the bar. :) It's all the same.

I agree with what others have said, I wear gear from my gf's school all the time and vice versa, I was given a shirt for a residency program I didn't attend that I like a lot and wear frequently, you can wear something for any reason that makes sense to you. The caveat is you can expect some people will ask about your connection to the school, if answering that question makes you uncomfortable then save yourself some angst and wear something else.