Wearing scrubs during the preclinical years to save money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnMadden

Political Refugee
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be inappropriate to wear scrubs to class during the preclinical years of med school? I figure it could be a way for me to save money on clothes...

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, why don't you just wear the clothes you already own to class? Why would you dress differently for lectures in medical school than you did in undergrad? Now if your school has clinical exposure in the preclinical years, as many do, you're gonna need to dress appropriately, shirt tie slacks whitecoat (if you're a guy of course). Scrubs are not appropriate for this. I would buy exactly one pair of scrubs, from the cheapest place you can find, for the sole purpose of wearing to gross anatomy lab. Plan on throwing away/burning this set at the end of the class. It's nearly impossible to get the smell out. The only thing I've found is this thick lysol stuff, and it stinks in it's own right. Toss 'em :)

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea if you're severely lacking clothes and the $12/piece scrubs are really a bargain. However, be prepared that people will make fun of you. Emphatically. Just fair warning.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're a tool if you do. End of story.

Why burn them when you can wear the same pair all year long w/o washing!
Then you will surely win the coveted "smelliest med student of the year" award.
:laugh:

Would it be inappropriate to wear scrubs to class during the preclinical years of med school? I figure it could be a way for me to save money on clothes...

It depends... do they make you look hot?

You can do whatever you want, but expect people in the classes above you to make fun of you.

I heard back in the day you had to wear a shirt and tie to class. Those days are thankfully long gone.

I will also make fun of you. In fact, I will do so just for you suggesting something so stupid. *points and laughs* :smuggrin:

A friend told me about a pre-med in her class who wore scrubs to gen chem lab.

yes I think you should wear scrubs to class. You never know when you might be paged for a trauma case.

Members don't see this ad :)

haha yeah someone in my gen chem lab wore scrubs too. I always assumed he was a nursing student though...

Scrubs are inappropriate for any activity outside of the OR or ED. You should never wear scrubs to class. You will rightfully be made fun of.

This is why I am convinced Medical school is going to be like high school all over again. What is it to anyone what one wears to class? People are no longer teenagers. Who gives a damn? Scrubs are comfortable, and I wouldn't mind wearing them if its an option.

People need to seriously consider butting out of people's lives.

i just dont get how it saves money...did i miss something?

Scrubs look ******ed when you're in lecture. They make you look like a royal douche bag. And no one wants to be classmates with a douche bag.

They could transfer I guess if they don't want to be classmates with this person. Obviously thats unrealistic. I don't see how someone can be so bothered by what another person wears. That is all. Maybe I just thought people would outgrow the whole "making fun" idea. I guess not. Either way, no I wouldn't wear scrubs unless necessary for lab or what not.

if the goal was to save the nice clothes from acid, that's fine. if the point was to point out how he was pre-med (and doesn't really need to own scrubs anyways), that's douchebaggery

This is why I am convinced Medical school is going to be like high school all over again. What is it to anyone what one wears to class? People are no longer teenagers. Who gives a damn? Scrubs are comfortable, and I wouldn't mind wearing them if its an option.

People need to seriously consider butting out of people's lives.

Did you get made fun of a lot in high school?

Why would you dress differently for lectures in medical school than you did in undergrad? <snip> Now if your school has clinical exposure in the pre-clinical years, as many do, you're gonna need to dress appropriately, shirt tie slacks white coat (if you're a guy of course).

Sorry, I'm gonna have to bow out of the necktie thing when I get to that point. I've read too much lately about how nasty physician ties :scared: (not to mention white coats) get. Ugh.

I'm an undergrad student.

I wear scrubs to class.

I go to class directly from work. I'm an ED tech.

If someone were to make fun of me, I would smile and tell them to **** themselves.

I like typing like this.

If you were to wear scrubs for the sake of wearing them to lecture, however, even I would make fun of you.

before we all get too rowdy :D :D , so how does it save money again...can someone help me with this one first...

Well normal people usually buy clothes from stores other than the 99 cent store.

lol. you guys are hilarious ;)

ok, so how about the scrub-bottoms/sweatshirt on top "i just rolled out of bed 5 minutes ago because i fell asleep face down in a textbook again last night" look?

dont laugh....i will probably pull this one at least once before the end of med school! :laugh:

They could transfer I guess if they don't want to be classmates with this person. Obviously thats unrelistic. I don't see how someone can be so bothered by what another person wears. That is all.

It's not that someone would be bothered by what another person wears, it's that someone would be bothered by how pretentious another person appears. And wearing scrubs (top and bottom) to class makes you look a little pretentious.

I've seen people wear scrub bottoms to class, and have always assumed that those people wear scrubs as pajamas. But people rarely wear scrub tops unless they're in anatomy lab or shadowing in the ER/OR.

Is someone spreading a rumor that there's a dress code for med school? I've had a couple people ask me what I wear to class, which I thought was a little weird.

You don't really need to buy clothes for the preclinical years, unless you don't own any jeans or t-shirts.

If you're poor shop at Goodwill; poke around as many branches as your city has for a few hours and you'll find you can dress yourself well (jeans or nice slacks and polo or dress shirt and tie) for ten or twenty bucks. No one will even notice if you have good taste and a sharp eye.

But seriously, did you burn all your clothing in college or something?

It's not that someone would be bothered by what another person wears, it's that someone would be bothered by how pretentious another person appears. And wearing scrubs (top and bottom) to class makes you look a little pretentious.

I see what you mean. And I am sure there are a few pretentious people in medical school. Not much you can do about these people but attempt to keep distance whenever possible.

That would be kind of like this guy in my undergraduate chemistry lab (we didn't do anything dangerous or anything very exciting for that matter) who would wear a white lab coat every time. He was a tool, and everyone just made fun of him. He was such a pretentious ass bag.

this is why i'm wearing pajamas to class. not scrubs. pajamas. and then I'll make fun of people wearing scrubs. it's going to be great.

i don't understand. how are you going to save money if the wimmenz are going to be all over you while you're advertising your doctor status?

I see what you mean. And I am sure there are a few pretentious people in medical school. Not much you can do about these people but attempt to keep distance whenever possible.

These are the people who are so impressed with being med students that they can't help but show it off. It's not they're bad people, it's just that they haven't gotten far enough in the process to really have their dignity broken, and so they still think they're special.

In your clinical years, you will run back and forth from the hospital to lecture, so you will wear your scrubs. And yes, as an earlier poster pointed out, if you work in a hospital and have to go back and forth to work, then that's fine too. But if you're in your pre-clinical years, wearing scrubs to lecture is like wearing your white coat when you're grocery shopping: you look like a tool who's impressed with himself/herself (even if you're not one).

Deuist I apologize for being a little testy. I got to learn never to browse a message board when in a bad mood. :D

this is why i'm wearing pajamas to class. not scrubs. pajamas. and then I'll make fun of people wearing scrubs. it's going to be great.

...and ill be the guy in the back of the room... wearing nothing at all :eek:

j/k but that would be cheap AND people wouldnt make fun of you for wearing scrubs... two birds with one stone dude :thumbup:

EDIT:

(hows this for thread hijacking)
pennybridge did you meet any mikes from san diego at second look?

unless you work in the ED and are going straight to the ED after class, there is no reason you should wear scrubs. you look like a tool. "look at me! i'm a premed student! i am so cool!"

yea, no.

When I'm lounging around the house or going out to get take-out food I usually wear scrubs. Why? Because I can withdraw 5 pairs on my ID, wear them, take them back the next week and get a whole new set without ever washing them. Laundry has thus been cut in half. Sadly, sloth wins out over caring what people think of the social appropriateness of scrub-wearing every time. :smuggrin:

I can see wearing scrubs to go somewhere outside of class, because you want to advertise your status to members of the opposite sex. That's fine. But IN class? What's the point? You're all doctors!

I just got an ED job and I will have to wear maroon scrubs on days that I work. Obviously, I'll wear them in class before I leave....I hope I'm not judged TOO harshly :)

just wanted to say for the girls:

i think you all look much sexier in normal clothes than scrubs, just thought id throw that out there :D

just wanted to say for the girls:

i think you all look much sexier in normal clothes than scrubs, just thought id throw that out there :D

Seriously. I get not worrying about how you look during exams. But to wear scrubs every day for two years...ick. I'm not vain (well I am a little) but to me that shows a complete disregard for any personal appearance. You should at least care a little.

Wear them for gross anatomy.

Don't go to your lecture classes unless you have to.

There are cheaper clothes than scrubs to wear when you want to show up. I know because the scrubs that I wear to work (the cheapest, non-reversible ones out there) are more expensive than what I wear to class on the rare days that I show up.

i was one of those who wore scrubs to lab. i went to volunteeting right after lab though and i only had 30 minutes to drive their (about 8 miles away), eat, sign in and change. i figured i could cut some time out by throwing on some scrub pants, but i still wore a normal tshirt.

after a semester i noticed how much of a fool i looked and decided to wear normal clothes again. just say no to scrub pants to lecture or lab unless its anatomy.

I think this is hilarious, but just to throw it out there... Are we supposed to buy our own scrubs for anatomy lab? If we are, is it pretty common to see a wide array of colors or is there a standard?

At BU, some med/dental students wear scrubs to the gym. I don't know what's cooler, gross lab straight to the gym, or gym straight to gross lab.

yes I think you should wear scrubs to class. You never know when you might be paged for a trauma case.

Ha ha. Actually there was a person in my class who showed up to class (M1) in scrubs and his white coat. Of course everyone was like "wtf?" and he said he was "on call for Trauma." We never really figured out what that meant...

"this guy is bleeding out into his belly, hang two units of O-neg and where the hell is that first year med student!"

Actually there was a person in my class who showed up to class (M1) in scrubs and his white coat.

I wear my white coat to class regularly. I also have my name embroidered on the breast, carry numerous pens / pen lights (always need a backup), an EKG caliper, several mini texts (baby robbins, baby bates, pocket medicine, greenberg), a couple of leading journals to drop loaded questions to the attendings (NEJM, JAMA, nature, cell, chest, JNS) my pan-optic oto/ophthalmoscope, sphygometer, tuning forks, and naturally a stethoscope.

Hella lame dude. If you were in my class and you did this, I would make fun of you endlessly. So would the rest of the class. Unless you were going straight to the hospital afterwards. I did wear scrubs two days a week b/c I had to go to work right after class, but I never wore them recreationally.

There was a dude wearing scrubs to the MCAT. Douche-y to the extreme.

I'm surprised you even had to ask this question...

At BU, some med/dental students wear scrubs to the gym. I don't know what's cooler, gross lab straight to the gym, or gym straight to gross lab.

Definitely gym straight to gross lab. If you can fight off post-workout unsteadiness in the hands to do a beautiful dissection, you're a badass.