Wearing scrubs during the preclinical years to save money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heck with the scrubs -- just go for patient gowns. Much easier to get out of when you are ready to pitch them into the laundry. And if you wander around the hospital in them people will be much nicer to you than if they think you are a med student. You'll probably get free wheelchair rides to class.

How about t-shirts that say, "Future Doctor - Will You Be My First Real Friend?"

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't an unwritten rule that you shouldn't really wear hospital work clothes around the home and during other daily activities. You're not going to impress the ones who really matter... they're going to look at you as someone spreading disease.

It will just look silly. Your classmates will laugh at ya. If it made that much sense, im sure many med students would have done it already. There's no point to wear scrubs on a regular basis unless you have some lab or clinic duty. Plus, year 1 and 2, you're going to be doing some clinical work and you will need dress clothes for that.

Just wear the clothes you have now...don't go wild with buying super expensive clothes and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
whats ED?

The poster actually meant emergency department, which is what places are calling it these days. After all, the ED has more than one room, right?

Where do you buy your clothes? I just started a clinical job and had to buy scrubs for the first time; $57 only bought me 2 sets ($12.95 for each piece, plus 9.25% sales tax). The last two pairs of jeans I bought were $7 each on clearance, and I usually don't pay more than $10 for t-shirts. Given my personal experiences, I really don't see the savings.

"Wear them for gross anatomy.

Don't go to your lecture classes unless you have to.

There are cheaper clothes than scrubs to wear when you want to show up. I know because the scrubs that I wear to work (the cheapest, non-reversible ones out there) are more expensive than what I wear to class on the rare days that I show up."

So what is more pretentious - a student wearing scrubs to lectures or one who brags about not going to lectures?

So what is more pretentious - a student wearing scrubs to lectures or one who brags about not going to lectures?

A lot of med students tell people that they don't go to lecture. It's not bragging, just statement of fact.

Unlike in undergrad, saying that you don't go to lecture in med school is not a boastful accomplishment. In med school, since many schools tape their lectures and distribute lecture slides/notes/scribed notes, skipping lecture is a real option.

So what is more pretentious - a student wearing scrubs to lectures or one who accuses another med student of bragging when he actually wasn't?

So what is more pretentious - a student wearing scrubs to lectures or one who accuses another med student of bragging when he actually wasn't?

how is a raven like a writing desk?

When I see scrubs outside the OR I am disgusted. Does anyone else think about why people wear scrubs?

"So I don't get bodily fluids or excrement on my clothes."

These people are wearing clothes that may or may not have said items on them. Do you really want to stand in line next to the girl at the check out who has poo on her shirt? Or sit next to the guy in class who has blood with Shigella spattered on his scrubs [note the ID50 for Shiga is 10 bacteria.. 10!]?

When I worked in a biomedical research lab it was policy to remove gloves when walking through the hallway. 1) So you don't unknowingly contaminate all the door handles along the way and 2) To give everyone with whom you work piece of mind (they have no idea what you're working with and can only assume the worst).

Heck with the scrubs -- just go for patient gowns. Much easier to get out of when you are ready to pitch them into the laundry. And if you wander around the hospital in them people will be much nicer to you than if they think you are a med student. You'll probably get free wheelchair rides to class.
hahaha!

Where do you buy your clothes? I just started a clinical job and had to buy scrubs for the first time; $57 only bought me 2 sets ($12.95 for each piece, plus 9.25% sales tax). The last two pairs of jeans I bought were $7 each on clearance, and I usually don't pay more than $10 for t-shirts. Given my personal experiences, I really don't see the savings.

Allheart.com has awesome deals on scrubs/anything medically related. That's where I got all mine. If you buy more than two sets they end up costing about $10/set. I got 5. I got my steth, bp cuff, tuning forks...everything from their store. They are by far the cheapest.

On another note...whatever happened to shopping at Goodwill?:idea: I still shop there and find sweet stuff...street clothes, scrubs, underwear (KIDDING..or am I?...:laugh:). It was the cool thing to do when I was in college...back in 2004....way back when. If you go to school in a big University town with a pretty solid medical school/hospital you can usually find scrubs at the local goodwill. I was at UF and always found cool stuff...old vintage gator shirts, shirts from the 80's...me and my friends would sport them all the time. :thumbup:

i am a fool for nice jeans but refuse to pay over 25 for tops unless is a dressy top. (im skinny so i need to get my dress shirts tailored)

i actually steal all my scrubs though. heheheh, i have about 10 pair from the hospital i volunteer at, and a few other pair from other hospitals ive shadowed at.

Seriously no scrub pants?? I wear them all the time, they are hella comfortable, with a t-shirt or whatever on top, never a scrub top... Booooo mean med students! :(

Allheart.com has awesome deals on scrubs/anything medically related. That's where I got all mine. If you buy more than two sets they end up costing about $10/set. I got 5. I got my steth, bp cuff, tuning forks...everything from their store. They are by far the cheapest.

On another note...whatever happened to shopping at Goodwill?:idea: I still shop there and find sweet stuff...street clothes, scrubs, underwear (KIDDING..or am I?...:laugh:). It was the cool thing to do when I was in college...back in 2004....way back when. If you go to school in a big University town with a pretty solid medical school/hospital you can usually find scrubs at the local goodwill. I was at UF and always found cool stuff...old vintage gator shirts, shirts from the 80's...me and my friends would sport them all the time. :thumbup:

I second the thrift store! Even if you're not after vintage, you can score some pretty nice stuff there, if you dig. I picked up 2-3 VERY nice ties just the other day. 2 bucks each.

Seriously no scrub pants?? I wear them all the time, they are hella comfortable, with a t-shirt or whatever on top, never a scrub top... Booooo mean med students! :(

Whatever you do, just don't wear them to class on the days that you have dissection. It doesn't matter if the scrubs that you have on are spotlessly clean - the person sitting next to you will almost certainly be wondering, "Are those...? Maybe they are.... No...s/he wouldn't...s/he wouldn't wear lab scrubs to class, just to save time in the changing room, would s/he?!?!?"

Truly disgusting. And if you think that your lab pants will manage to stay clean in lab, forget it. It's not just the scrub tops that get covered in stuff during dissection.