wearing scrubs everyday?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbommar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this may seem like a dumb question... but are there any medicine programs where people wear scrubs everyday?

Members don't see this ad.

kbommar said:
this may seem like a dumb question... but are there any medicine programs where people wear scrubs everyday?

Yes, You've officially won the ******* question-of-the-day award. Why does wearing scrubs everyday have any relevance to your day-to-day performance as a physician?? :rolleyes:

omniatlas said:
Yes, You've officially won the ******* question-of-the-day award. Why does wearing scrubs everyday have any relevance to your day-to-day performance as a physician?? :rolleyes:

You're a tool... The o.p. wasn't asking about performance enhancement on the job...he/she was asking about programs which allow daily use of scrubs. Thanks for your contribution to the thread.

To the o.p... I doubt that any medicine programs allow for scrubs to worn daily, they are usually reserved for call or certain rotations at most. Part of the whole professionalism thing. Would be nice though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Once again, i'm going to reiterate for the fools like you (try reading)-- WHO CARES IF YOU WEAR SCRUBS OR NOT.

Are you that damn insecure that you'll feel you get the respect you deserve by what you wear? Think you have a sense of entitlement? oh wait I get it, you were beat up as a kid and need retribution.

You just proved my point with your shallow comment:

Tapout said:
I doubt that any medicine programs allow for scrubs to worn daily, they are usually reserved for call or certain rotations at most. Part of the whole professionalism thing. Would be nice though!

Now why would it be nice to wear scrubs? I don't really think it makes you professional at all -- you wanna be professonal -- do it with your character and integrity and not by what you wear! lol.

idiot.

P.S. I would love to continue on with this endless debate but I have better things to do then worry if I'm wearing scrubs or not on the job! I suggest you do the same! :laugh:

dear jackass (aka omniatlas),

he's saying wearing scrubs all the time would be UNPROFESSIONAL.

thanks for your time.

Strictly speaking, scrubs are for people on or post call, but in some institutions people are a little more looser and practically wear them all day. I know that at my home institution they started getting stricter on this (I guess they wanted to portray a more professional, formal image). On the other hand, at another hospital wear I rotated at (county hospital), nobody cared. This isn't a big issue, but I think in some programs it's a little more stronger enfoced.

I guess the whole thing about appearance and professionalism is there to try to make the housestaff "appear more competent and respected", but in reality we all know that it's about what's inside that counts. You could argue that in county settings (just as an example), the patients who are getting free healthcare don't really care how you look, but in more private/ academic hospitals, people will think the more "professional" you look, the "better or more competent" you are, which once again we all know is not really true.

I think the OP feels like scrubs are more comfortable than a shirt and tie, which at least in my view they certainly are. Not to put words in his mouth, but i believe he wants to know if there are any programs where he can work in more comfort than others.
Most medicine programs tend to allow scrubs on call (and therefore post call if your program requires overnight call), and during ICU/CCU months. If your'e on call Q4 in an overnight call system, that means you wear scrubs at least half the time on the wards.
Residents typically are typically required to spend a half day in clinic every week, where at the very least, a button down shirt is expected. During that day, its impractical to wear scrubs in the morning and change in the afternoon.
I guess there are some programs that are pretty slack about allowing scrubs on non-call, non-clinic days --> there are a couple of community programs I know of that allow this.
The idea of wearing scrubs every day is nice, but in the end I felt there were other more important factors in ranking residency programs...ended up at one which requires a (gasp) short white coat during intern year!

.... In my program you are not allowed to wear scrubs except postcall days. You are expected to switch to scrubs at 5pm when your call starts. And for some reason top and bottom scrubs should be matching. Aka you cant wear anything but a scrub top above your scrub bottom. :confused:

And....to the below person: Thanks a lot for going away and dealing with your "better things". We are glad that you're doing it.

""""P.S. I would love to continue on with this endless debate but I have better things to do then worry if I'm wearing scrubs or not on the job! I suggest you do the same! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

kbommar said:
dear jackass (aka omniatlas),

he's saying wearing scrubs all the time would be UNPROFESSIONAL.

thanks for your time.

Thank you for making that clear on my behalf. He/she would rather be a troll instead of reading the post. Notice the harvard location.....go figure (can't even read).

Tapout said:
Thank you for making that clear on my behalf. He/she would rather be a troll instead of reading the post. Notice the harvard location.....go figure (can't even read).

omniatlas hasn't even taken the MCAT yet. That is why he does not have time to attend to this issue anymore.

Why would you want to wear scrubs all day long? They're comfortable. It doesn't have anything to do with making you a better physician.

God, SDN posts should be a mandatory part of the application process to weed out all the *****s that somehow find a way to appear normal in everyday life.

i once rotated with an ID team where everyone wore scrubs everyday. actually, it was more like scrub pants and whatever t-shirt u felt like wearing. this was at ohio state and not some community hospital. everyone seemed a lot more relaxed and happier in general. maybe this was just the team, but maybe being comforable had something to do with it.

i think the resident just started wearing them and everyone else followed. (who wouldn't want to wear them everyday instead of a shirt and tie?) the attending was really laid back so that probably helped things.

haven't there been studies documenting the amount of bacteria colonized on the ties that doctors wear? we should wear scrubs everyday to protect patients. ;)

i doubt inpatients care whether the team that rounds on them at the butt crack of dawn is dressed "professionally" in shirts and ties. i could, however, understand why dressing up for clinic might matter.

kbommar said:

in most places, you need to dress somewhat professional for clinic. scrubs are usually only for call and post call. I have seen pregnant women wear scrubs every day though. They somehow are allowed to get away with it.

Damn women. They want to get paid the same and still be allowed to wear scrubs all day.

/sarcasm

kbommar said:
haven't there been studies documenting the amount of bacteria colonized on the ties that doctors wear? we should wear scrubs everyday to protect patients. ;)

But the amount of bacteria on ties does NOT correlate with patient wound infection or sepsis. An example of this is as follows: millions of Americans have had their cuts washed out with tap water by mom, and few - VERY few - become infected (enough to come to clinical attention). However, if you cultured those faucets they were washed out under (ouch - the grammar of that sentence hurts me), you would grow out some pretty gnarly bugs. The first part does not imply the second.

mysophobe said:
Damn women. They want to get paid the same and still be allowed to wear scrubs all day.

/sarcasm
If we dont stop this they will ask to vote too..

EctopicFetus said:
If we dont stop this they will ask to vote too..

:eek: It's bad enough we let the blacks vote.

omniatlas said:
Once again, i'm going to reiterate for the fools like you (try reading)-- WHO CARES IF YOU WEAR SCRUBS OR NOT.

Are you that damn insecure that you'll feel you get the respect you deserve by what you wear? Think you have a sense of entitlement? oh wait I get it, you were beat up as a kid and need retribution.

You just proved my point with your shallow comment:

Now why would it be nice to wear scrubs? I don't really think it makes you professional at all -- you wanna be professonal -- do it with your character and integrity and not by what you wear! lol.

idiot.

P.S. I would love to continue on with this endless debate but I have better things to do then worry if I'm wearing scrubs or not on the job! I suggest you do the same! :laugh:

ACTUALLY this subject is seen as important enough by the NHS in the UK to have quite a few debates on it. Infection Control is a very emotive issue here thanks to the media here and doctors wearing suits are often to blame. Whether or not the colonization of bacteria on these suits (which are certainly not dry cleaned after every shift) actually causes infection is not necessarily meaningful to the general public who often think going to hospital almost guarantees an MRSA infection, and therefore a near death experience! (Yes, this is how British media makes many of my patients think.)

If you are on call q4, then half the time you will be either on-call or post-call, and no one will be keeping track of this. I think clinic days and big presentations are times when you should dress up.

We wear what we want on hospital rotations.....scrubs, dress-up, whatever. Our attendings think that if we are the ones "in the trenches" that we shouldn't have to be uncomfortable all day long running all over the place. Plus, gowning for procedures is so hot and uncomfortable with dress clothes. With scrubs, most days I wear an old navy t-shirt with scrub bottoms. Nice, clean t-shirt (no graphics) with green hospital scrubs. Some days, I dress up just because I feel sloppy wearing scrubs all day/everyday.

For clinic rotations - nephrology, pulmonology, etc....we have to dress up.
I love wearing scrubs so much....I can't believe I didn't fall in love with anesthesia...although surgery was my first choice!

However, somedays, our hospitalist/intensivist attendings wear jeans or scrubs. We residents haven't tried pulling out the jeans yet...and I doubt we will.

carrigallen said:
If you are on call q4, then half the time you will be either on-call or post-call, and no one will be keeping track of this. I think clinic days and big presentations are times when you should dress up.

Amen! This is the philosophy here as well... except we must wear business type dress on certain elective rotations as well, but for the most part we are in scrubs except for, as stated above, clinic, presentations, and special occasions.

dietpepsi. Aka you cant wear anything but a scrub top above your scrub bottom. :confused: [/QUOTE said:
that sucks. I was a big fan of the George Clooney look in residency - scrub top + khaki bottom + tennis shoes.