1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Wearing suit to dental volunteering interview when it's 105 F degree?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tlt2796, Aug 13, 2015.

1. tlt2796

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi,
    What do you think if I wear something less formal such as polo shirt and khakis pants? It has been around 105 F afternoon and it can shoot to 110 F, so I'm afraid I will sweat like crazy if I wear formal suit. :(

2. rsingh32

Pre-Dental
    You're going to be embarrassed when other people show up dressed more formal, so you may just have to deal with sweat.

3. hannah_hoac

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Or you can get the fancy tank top and shorts, too, you know? Especially the really expensive ones.
    JK. Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just wear the suit jacket when you're inside since they have AC. You can take it off if they walk you around. Remember to look sharp! :naughty:

4. strep mutans

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Guys... the title says "dental volunteering" interview, not dental school interview.

OP, can you elaborate a little on what type of interview you're referring to? What kind of organization, what position, etc.?

5. allantois

5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Skip the jacket and you'll be fine.

tlt2796 likes this.
  6. tlt2796

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's a small community dental clinic (here its website http://www.saintehc.org) and the position I'm applying to is dental volunteer. Since the director didn't tell me exactly what she was looking for, she implied by asking me if I had any dental assistant experience (there is no license requirement to work as dental assistant in AZ). I think it will be some office tasks or something like that. I will be interviewed by the clinic director, and she told me to bring a picture ID, reference list and a resume. It's pretty much not formal because it will be around the closing time of clinic, a small talk I guess. I know it's good to wear suit in order to have good first impression, but considering hot temperature in Tucson, AZ now is different story.

7. hannah_hoac

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Ooops. Sowwy

8. StumpMT

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Since you say "pretty much not formal" and it's a dental "volunteering" interview I think I would just go with business casual.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    tlt2796 and hannah_hoac like this.
  9. Surf Prescription

Pre-Dental
    Khakis and a nice button up shirt with dress shoes. Doesn't sound like the time or place for a suit. Don't sweat it!

10. OrphanageCaretaker

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That pun...

11. ajj70

Non-Student
    I agree, button up shirt and khakis or dress pants will be fine. I think a suit would be overkill even in good weather.

tlt2796 likes this.
  12. tlt2796

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. :)

13. oralcare123

7+ Year Member

Shirt is fine, but make sure it is not only clean, but ironed. Just been to an interview with several guys wearing shirts straight from the dryer - very sloppy

14. .

Attached Files:

#14 SXCoronado, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  15. OSUkid

OSUkid Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

LOOOOOOL You cant blame them, I mean who even starts a discussion about wearing a suit to dental volunteering interview lmfao.