Wearing Suspenders to an Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exacto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
They are so much more comfy than a belt.... Do you guys think this would be fine?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lmao how are suspenders more comfy than a belt!?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lmao how are suspenders more comfy than a belt!?!

You ever worn one? They don't constrict or bulge up shirts when you sit down, and they let your pants move around. Comfy...trust me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you do this, keep your jacket on

Reactions: 3 users
As long as you put your thumbs under them when you talk you should be fine.

Reactions: 13 users
...And OP, no bow tie either. Even when I deal with MD's from top programs, if they are wearing a bow tie, I think something is wrong with them.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice click bait, I just couldn't resist...

...And OP, no bow tie either. Even when I deal with MD's from top programs, if they are wearing a bow tie, I think something is wrong with them.

Bow ties are reserved for black tie events and children.

They are so much more comfy than a belt.... Do you guys think this would be fine?

If they are the nice dressy suspenders then you can do such (avoid those with the large gold or silver clasps and bright or decorative colors, no sponge bob ones... No reds!). They are actually considered quite classy in the executive business world. They must go with your suit, tie, and shoes though! Most of the interview you'll have on your jacket so they won't be that noticeable. Your interviewers will statistically be older conservative (not necessarily politically) men and some women, so suspenders meet their appearance schema.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Shouldn't be a problem.
steve3.jpg

Take into consideration at least one person throwing hate your way or giggling at home will wear a black suit to interviews.

You're good to go so long as it's done right and they look like they're there to perform a function instead of making a statement. No belt loops is a common option on bespoke suits.

Take into consideration at least one person throwing hate your way or giggling at home will wear a black suit to interviews.

You're good to go so long as it's done right and they look like they're there to perform a function instead of making a statement. No belt loops is a common option on bespoke suits.

what's wrong with a black suit?

9/10 people are going to be more confused by the dude in suspenders than the guy in a black suit.

9/10 people are going to be more confused by the dude in suspenders than the guy in a black suit.

I haven't attended my first interview yet, but what kind of calisthenics are involved that requires the removal of a jacket? Even so, classic suspenders shouldn't raise any eyebrows for someone over 30. For the OP, I should caveat this with suspenders are generally a no-go if your pants do have belt loops.

A black suit is a lesser faux pas than brown shoes/black belt, but that doesn't mean someone should be purchasing a black suit this summer for the purpose of medical school interviews.

Are shoulder patches required by most DO programs?

I haven't attended my first interview yet, but what kind of calisthenics are involved that requires the removal of a jacket? Even so, classic suspenders shouldn't raise any eyebrows for someone over 30. For the OP, I should caveat this with suspenders are generally a no-go if your pants do have belt loops.

A black suit is a lesser faux pas than brown shoes/black belt, but that doesn't mean someone should be purchasing a black suit this summer for the purpose of medical school interviews.
They haven't told you about the physical fitness portion of the interview yet?

Honestly I don't think it really matters either way as long as they are dark suspenders. A little odd for a young person but fine.

They haven't told you about the physical fitness portion of the interview yet?

Oiy. Toby Keith on the morning drive - "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Like someone said, it's probably okay to wear suspenders as long as your outfit doesn't call attention to them. Maybe consider wearing a vest--this is actually the purpose of a vest: to hide suspenders. If you really want to wear suspenders, wearing a vest could be a good option. Just make sure your outfit looks subtle and dignified, and that everything matches. With vests it's easy to screw up and look flashy.

As for black suits, I agree: Bad idea. It's not a fatal mistake (not as bad as pinstripes) but it is a minor faux pas. At an interview I'd want every advantage possible, and clothes are an easy one. If it's all you have and you can't get a new one, I guess go ahead. Otherwise, get yourself a nice navy blue or charcoal. I personally think dark charcoal is a great option.

As for black suits, I agree: Bad idea. It's not a fatal mistake (not as bad as pinstripes) but it is a minor faux pas. At an interview I'd want every advantage possible, and clothes are an easy one. If it's all you have and you can't get a new one, I guess go ahead. Otherwise, get yourself a nice navy blue or charcoal. I personally think dark charcoal is a great option.

What's wrong with pinstripe suits? Never knew there was so many stigmas around suits to interviews,...

You guys are way over freaking out over the interview attire. Any dark colored suit - black, blue, gray, etc and even thin pinstripes is FINE! Yes a good first impression is important but the people interviewing you are not going to give a crap if it's blue or black or whatever as long as the suit is conservative in appearance. One guy even wore a light tan suit and he was accepted. Many of my classmates wore varying attire during interviews and they all made it in. Just don't wear anything that would make adcoms look at you and think you were odd, like a purple suit with a pink puffy shirt and bright purple shoes.

Last edited:
Go for it. Keep us updated (;

Unfortunately my pants didn't have buttons and I don't know how to sew well, so I opted for a belt.... Not enough time to go to a tailors and buy button suspenders. So I'll do it for my next interview.

No vests, no suspenders, no bow ties. A charcoal or navy suit is preferred, but there are too many black suits to reject them all!

One of the doctors who interviewed me today was wearing suspenders.... Just imagine how much more he would have liked me if he saw me wearing suspenders.... Instant points lost!

One of the doctors who interviewed me today was wearing suspenders.... Just imagine how much more he would have liked me if he saw me wearing suspenders.... Instant points lost!
Never count on a geezer interviewer...
You need to appeal to the broadest audience.

Some of my faculty show up looking pretty odd. If they don't shape up, they lose the privilege of evaluating applicants.

Never count on a geezer interviewer...
You need to appeal to the broadest audience.

Some of my faculty show up looking pretty odd. If they don't shape up, they lose the privilege of evaluating applicants.

100% true, but man, when I saw that the old dude wearing suspenders, I chuckled to myself.... Sometimes playing the wild card pays off.

100% true, but man, when I saw that the old dude wearing suspenders, I chuckled to myself.... Sometimes playing the wild card pays off.
Hmmm...did he have a bow tie on too?

What's wrong with pinstripe suits? Never knew there was so many stigmas around suits to interviews,...

I may have seemed a bit too negative about it. It's not like most interviewers are fashionistas. And neither black nor pinstripes are necessarily BAD, but they're just not optimal. I'm nitpicking about black suits. Pinstripes, however, are very easy to screw up. They make you stick out. They are rarely subtle. Dealbreaker? Probably not. I do feel like very few medical interviewees have the fashion chops to successfully match a pinstripe suit with the right shirt/tie/belt/shoes without looking a bit tacky.

Generally speaking you need to be "the boss" or attending a funeral to justify a black suit.

I seriously doubt adcoms will read so much into your attire that the color of your suit will have any impact at all.

I'm pretty sure the only way your attire will keep you out of medical school is if you wear a tight clubbing dress, a polo and jeans, a purple pimp suit with a diamond cane, or dress like Willy Wonka.

I seriously doubt adcoms will read so much into your attire that the color of your suit will have any impact at all.

I'm pretty sure the only way your attire will keep you out of medical school is if you wear a tight clubbing dress, a polo and jeans, a purple pimp suit with a diamond cane, or dress like Willy Wonka.

A girl showed up in a blouse and dress pants. No suit. I remembered her specifically and have not noticed her in the gobs of first years.

I may have seemed a bit too negative about it. It's not like most interviewers are fashionistas. And neither black nor pinstripes are necessarily BAD, but they're just not optimal. I'm nitpicking about black suits. Pinstripes, however, are very easy to screw up. They make you stick out. They are rarely subtle. Dealbreaker? Probably not. I do feel like very few medical interviewees have the fashion chops to successfully match a pinstripe suit with the right shirt/tie/belt/shoes without looking a bit tacky.

The tricky part about navy pinstripe suites is that there are so many BAD ones -- cheap, 'in your face' really bad ones. There are also really nice pinstripes -- subtle, excellent fabric quality. etc. But most pre-meds either can't tell the difference or can't afford the good ones.

A girl showed up in a blouse and dress pants. No suit. I remembered her specifically and have not noticed her in the gobs of first years.

Still that is a step below a a black suit I would assume. The point was to say that freak out over conservative suit color is just being neurotic