Weather/Climate > Rank of School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fdsa2495

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm that one person that is depressed all Winter long and blooms like a beautiful Sunflower in Spring/Summer and binge watches Netflix in Fall.

Although born in the US, I spent majority of my life out of the US and don't know much about other states except for the one I live in (CA). I do not have a MCAT score yet but I just want to know what States should I look into that have a weather similar to California. I know some state schools are harder than others and MCAT score would really help but as of now I just want to research on which states I would be most comfortable living in for 4years - maybe the rest of my life, just in case I don't get anywhere in CA Medical Schools.
I ask because I know I WILL NOT be happy if I get into a school where the weather is not nice, I am for sure not going to want to live there for 4 years watching it rain and snow all year long. I rather apply to all schools where I would actually be happy going.

Weather/Climate Preferrences:
- I love the heat but I hate HUMIDITY (so no for Florida??)
- Longer Summers and shorter Winters
- I hate SNOW so Winters where the temperature doesn't drop too bad
- I hate rainy/monsoon climate conditions

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a CA resident limiting yourself to CA weather schools, you're gonna have a bad cycle.

Reactions: 14 users
If you're a CA resident limiting yourself to CA weather schools, you're gonna have a bad cycle.
What about States nearby like Arizona, Neveda, I know Washington only accepts there States students. I mean if worse comes to worse I'll just suck it up but are there really no other states that have somewhat similar weather conditions to CA

Members don't see this ad :)
You basically described California. Other hot places outside of California can either be quite humid or will have pretty nasty winters. If not, rain will be common. I can only imagine the neighboring states next to Cali as options.

Reactions: 3 users
You come up against the problem of humidity and/or in-state preference. How's your Spanish? The Puerto Rican schools might be an option.

St Louis and Nashville come to mind although St. Louis does have a bit of snow each year and Nashville has snow rarely. Oh, come to think of it, St. Louis is nasty humid in the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
You come up against the problem of humidity and/or in-state preference. How's your Spanish? The Puerto Rican schools might be an option.

St Louis and Nashville come to mind although St. Louis does have a bit of snow each year and Nashville has snow rarely. Oh, come to think of it, St. Louis is nasty humid in the summer.
No Habla Espanol... I guess I'll just apply broadly like everyone else and hope for the best. Thank you!

Its nice to have some preferences and goals. But if you are thinking of entering the field of medicine, be prepared for a lot of sacrifices, weather being the least of it. At least with medical school you could have a choice between a couple acceptances, but you go wherever you match for residency. Be warned!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm asking myself the same questions man. I just moved from Cali to another place that actually has a real winter and it's not working out for me, but my main preference is to be in a big name city like Chi,Philly,NY,or D.C. To name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Honestly, now that Puerto Rico has declared bankruptcy, I don't know if I'd suggest going there for med school.

You should probably look at a map first.
LOL I have google maps open, so bad at State names I didn't even know there was a state named Delaware or Rhode Island (would've guessed Australia if someone ever asked lmao) :unsure:

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL I have google maps open, so bad at State names I didn't even know there was a state named Delaware or Rhode Island (would've guessed Australia if someone ever asked lmao) :unsure:
Do you mind if I ask where you lived outside of the US? You speak english colloquially, so I'm going to guess that it was an english speaking country. Not the UK or another in Europe because of your absolute demand that there be no cold weather. Not Australia.... South Africa?

Do you mind if I ask where you lived outside of the US? You speak english colloquially, so I'm going to guess that it was an english speaking country. Not the UK or another in Europe because of your absolute demand that there be no cold weather. Not Australia.... South Africa?
Nope not an English speaking country. I was born in the US and then moved to South Asia and then came back and finished high school. High school really helped improve my English, and I'm completely done with the humidity from where I lived before

Nope not a English speaking country. I was born in the US and then studied in India for about 6 years and then came back and finished high school. High school really helped improve my English, and I'm completely done with the Humid from India
Oh wow! Awesome! That should make a really interesting personal statement. Yeah, you're pretty much limited to the SW. If you have the stats for it, Mayo has a new campus in Arizona. That should be your top choice if you don't get into CA. Besides that, I'd really try to branch out. Maybe deal with the humidity and look into some of the southern schools. I'd suggest looking into the NW because it's pretty temperate, but you're basically locked out because you're not from Oregon or Washington.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I'm that one person that is depressed all Winter long and blooms like a beautiful Sunflower in Spring/Summer and binge watches Netflix in Fall.

Although born in the US, I spent majority of my life out of the US and don't know much about other states except for the one I live in (CA). I do not have a MCAT score yet but I just want to know what States should I look into that have a weather similar to California. I know some state schools are harder than others and MCAT score would really help but as of now I just want to research on which states I would be most comfortable living in for 4years - maybe the rest of my life, just in case I don't get anywhere in CA Medical Schools.
I ask because I know I WILL NOT be happy if I get into a school where the weather is not nice, I am for sure not going to want to live there for 4 years watching it rain and snow all year long. I rather apply to all schools where I would actually be happy going.

Weather/Climate Preferrences:
- I love the heat but I hate HUMIDITY (so no for Florida??)
- Longer Summers and shorter Winters
- I hate SNOW so Winters where the temperature doesn't drop too bad
- I hate rainy/monsoon climate conditions

You might not have a choice if NYMC, Albany and Loyola are your only IIs and accepts. And every pre-med in the world wants to go to UCSD and John Burns in HI.

Depending on your stats, you could always try Texas. Arizona is really your only other option since the southeast is very humid. And anywhere in the central and northern thirds (sans Cali) will have some snow. Maybe you could try Wake Forest, or UNC/Duke/Vanderbilt/UVA depending on your credentials.

How about Nevada? The new school at UNLV will take you because you're in one of the adjacent states. This year is their charter class.

New Mexico, Arizona, Texas.. look at the Southwest.

Reactions: 1 user
Im the same way, but you gotta apply places with weather you don't like. If you don't, realize that you're giving up on this career over the weather.

Pray you get in somewhere warm

California weather is why you all have millions of people there so if you're super picky about weather in other states... you're gonna have a bad time.

The south is usually pretty temperate, although they tend to have a snowstorm or two a year that messes with everything. Thinking Carolinas, Georgia, etc.

If it's just heat you want, look at Arizona and Texas. Parts of Texas are pretty humid, though.

If you are looking for temperate, Oregon and Washington don't have crazy weather fluctuations (on the coast, anyway) but if you're anti-rain that's out.

I

St. Louis is basically the last place that would occur to me for nice weather (fewer sunny days than Seattle, I think) so I'm glad the last sentence is there!