Weather: going north for interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm from Texas (southern texas) and i'm going up NORTH for interview and i'm worried about the weather.

Judging by extended forcast, there's good chance i'm gonna run into snow. I'm very worried about how this is going to affect me getting to the school and since i have non-refundable plane tickets.

I'm also worried since i have like one decent jacket for cold, and i don't own gloves. I never needed it so why would i have it. how am i gonna survive. I'm worried what if the plane can't land and what if there are no taxies to get me to school.

any thoughts?

Thanks

P.S. I hope it snows little cause I have never really seen ALOT of snow and i wanna have fun and play like a little kid.

Members don't see this ad.

im in iowa right now where its in the low 20s....its cold but not as bad as you would imagine...your really only out in the cold for a few minutes..other times ur in your car or hotel or whatever...this coming from a guy who thinks anything below 60 is cold...

Funny story. I'm also from south Texas and had an interview last year at U of Iowa in late December. Yes....it was very cold. I believe the low was single digits and the high was barely breaking 40.

Realistically, you probably wont need gloves. Ideally, I'd wear long underwear and maybe a scarf....but that's pushing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas,

Do you even *want* to be at a school up north? I moved from Alabama to Ohio for grad school, and the miserable winter up there nearly killed me. We had ice & snow from October through the third week of March!!!!!! I am sure that after a few years I would have gotten used to it, but frankly, it was terrible. Thank god I am back in the South again, where winter lasts barely more than 2 months, and you have comfortable 50-65 degree days sprinkled througout the coldest of winters.

I survived by layering t-shirts, thermal underwear, shirts, & a sweater. You probably have most of these things in your closet (except maybe the thermal underwear). Top off your ensemble with the warmest jacket you have in your closet. A long sleeve t-shirt can be an emergency replacement for thermal undies. Put on a cap before leaving and cram your hands in your pockets.

I too am from Texas - but have on and off spent 5 years on the NE. Listen, people up north are not ******* like us when it gets cold. It needs to snow A TON before things get shut down only once have I seen this - last year when it snowed endless.

Where are you going? If Boston - go to boston common -

There will be taxis and everything else - they are used to this - don't worry.
My advice: wear a hat, scarf - and perhaps a long coat (like a buisness coat - see goodwill/salvation army for this- nothing looks dumber than a ski jacket over a suit) Or, since you will be wearing a suit anyway - just suck it up.

BaylorGuy said:
Funny story. I'm also from south Texas and had an interview last year at U of Iowa in late December. Yes....it was very cold. I believe the low was single digits and the high was barely breaking 40.

Realistically, you probably wont need gloves. Ideally, I'd wear long underwear and maybe a scarf....but that's pushing it.

Hehe - I like seeing "very cold" and "40 degrees" in the same sentence.

Anyways - You'll be fine - I think you'll find that you'll end up rather warm sitting around inside in a suit w/ the heat on.

just make sure you pack a snowboard...if there is snow of course