Weather near Brisbane and AU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neulite

Graduate Student (GRII)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm sitting at my computer about to endure yet another category 4 hurricane and I was wondering what kind of weather I can expect in Australia. I am going to UQ in Brisbane. Do they have hurricanes? Typhoons?

It's funny really. I moved here, one month later Katrina hit. Now I'm about to leave and it's the Katrina anniversary and Gustav is about to hit. I'm an hour north of New Orleans.

Members don't see this ad.

You only get hurricanes aka cyclones in far northern Queensland, Brisbane is in the South so you are safely out of that zone. The only thing Brisbane gets when there are hurricanes in the North are heavy rains but most of the time its sunny, 300+ days of sun a year. In the northern tip of Australia by the coasts they do get hurricanes. In Darwin, homes are fortified to withstand hurricanes. For the most part, Australia's weather is actually quite mild, and contrary to popular belief Australia is not a complete desert, nothing like the deserts of the Middle East and Asia. Farmers even raise cattle in a good chunk of the outback.

I looked at an agriculture map, and only about 25-30 percent of Australia is complete unproductive desert.

As far as natural disasters are concerned Australia truly is the lucky country, just up to our north Indonesia was ravaged by the Tsunami but Australia was thankfully spared.

OK, so I'm sitting at my computer about to endure yet another category 4 hurricane and I was wondering what kind of weather I can expect in Australia. I am going to UQ in Brisbane. Do they have hurricanes? Typhoons?

It's funny really. I moved here, one month later Katrina hit. Now I'm about to leave and it's the Katrina anniversary and Gustav is about to hit. I'm an hour north of New Orleans.

www.bom.gov.au